Part 1: Chapter 1 | Part 1: Chapter 2
1. The novel begins with a description of this character's experience in school. Who is this character?
(a) Charles Bovary.
(b) Emma Bovary.
(c) Leon Dupuis.
2. Why did Charles' father, Charles Denis Bartholomé Bovary, get removed from his post as an Army surgeon?
(a) He was laundering money to pay gambling debts.
(b) He was involved in a scandal involving prescriptions.
(c) He had an affair with his superior's wife.
(d) He was chronically absent from work.
3. What career does Charles Bovary eventually settle on to please his mother?
4. Where do Charles and Emma meet?
(a) On a ship going to England.
(b) In the forest.
(c) At a party in Paris given by Emma's cousins.
(d) At Les Bertaux, the home of Monsieur Rouault.
5. How long does it take Monsieur Rouault to begin walking after he has broken his leg?
(a) 46 days.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 4 days.
6. What happens to Charles' first wife?
(a) She runs off to Paris to become an actress.
(b) She leaves him for a local priest.
(c) She dies after becoming financially ruined.
(d) She is killed by a horse.
This section contains 5,359 words
(approx. 18 pages at 300 words per page)