Part 1: Chapter 1 | Part 1: Chapter 2
1. The novel begins with a description of this character's experience in school. Who is this character?
(b) Emma Bovary.
(c) Leon Dupuis.
(d) Charles Bovary.
2. Why did Charles' father, Charles Denis Bartholomé Bovary, get removed from his post as an Army surgeon?
(a) He was laundering money to pay gambling debts.
(b) He was chronically absent from work.
(c) He had an affair with his superior's wife.
(d) He was involved in a scandal involving prescriptions.
3. What career does Charles Bovary eventually settle on to please his mother?
4. Where do Charles and Emma meet?
(a) At Les Bertaux, the home of Monsieur Rouault.
(b) In the forest.
(c) At a party in Paris given by Emma's cousins.
(d) On a ship going to England.
5. How long does it take Monsieur Rouault to begin walking after he has broken his leg?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 4 days.
(c) 46 days.
(d) 6 months.
6. What happens to Charles' first wife?
(a) She leaves him for a local priest.
(b) She is killed by a horse.
(c) She runs off to Paris to become an actress.
(d) She dies after becoming financially ruined.
This section contains 5,359 words
(approx. 18 pages at 300 words per page)