|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term refers to a longing or craving, as for something that brings satisfaction or enjoyment?
2. What was the second object found by Breton and his friend at the flea market in Section 3?
(a) A doll.
(b) A mirror.
(c) A mask.
(d) A spoon.
3. What refers to the science that investigates the principles governing correct or reliable inference?
4. Breton distinguishes in Section 1 between an object which is wished for and an object which is what?
(c) Prayed for.
(d) Dreamed of.
5. Breton claimed in Section 3 that the found object acted as a _____ for Giacometti.
6. In Section 3, Breton contrasts the sexual instinct with the ____ instinct as he describes how, unbeknown to him, two people had perused the same objects at the flea market, one of whom was a former lover of Breton's.
7. What is the name of Andre Breton's daughter, to whom much of Mad Love is dedicated?
8. What term refers to the state of being mentally disturbed; deranged; insane; demented?
9. In Section 2, Breton sought to answer how one memory might stand out as being a "sign of the spontaneous, the indeterminate, the unforeseeable or even the _____."
10. Whose photography is featured throughout Mad Love?
(a) Man Ray's.
(b) Pablo Picasso's.
(c) Gustav Klimt's.
(d) Ansel Adam's.
11. Who wrote Mad Love?
(a) Luis Bunuel.
(b) Salvador Dali.
(c) Jacques Vaché.
(d) Andre Breton.
12. When was the first postscript of Section 3 written?
13. Breton stated, in the first postscript of Section 3, that he had repressed the connection between the spoon and the what?
14. What refers to everyday items that can be transformed into art objects or reinterpreted as objects outside their intended utilitarian purpose?
(a) Catalyst items.
(b) Found items.
(c) Art items.
(d) Creative items.
15. What Surrealist journal is cited in Section 2 of Mad Love?
(b) The Minotaur.
(c) The Centaur.
(d) The Venus.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the second postscript of Section 3 written?
2. Who wrote The Poverty of Philosophy?
3. Who was the author of The Origin of the Family, Private Property and the State?
4. What nineteenth-century French poet's Les fleurs du mal was very influential on surrealism?
5. What was on the handle of the spoon found at the flea market in Section 3?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)