|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, in psychoanalytic theory, is a group of largely unconscious (dynamically repressed) ideas and feelings which concentrate on the desire to possess the parent of the opposite sex and eliminate the parent of the same sex?
(a) Aphrodite complex.
(b) Venus complex.
(c) Oedipal complex.
2. What comprises that organized part of the personality structure that criticizes and prohibits his or her drives, fantasies, feelings, and actions?
3. What season was it that Breton went to the flea market with his friend in Section 3?
4. Who first stated and established the Hegelian dialectic?
(a) Comte de Lautréamont.
(b) Arthur Rimbaud.
(c) Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel.
(d) Heinrich Moritz Chalybäus.
5. What nineteenth-century French poet's Les fleurs du mal was very influential on surrealism?
(a) Charles Baudelaire's.
(b) Antonin Artaud's.
(c) Marquis de Sade's.
(d) Andre Breton's.
6. In Freud's theory, the ego mediates among the ___, the super-ego and the external world.
7. Who wrote Mad Love?
(a) Jacques Vaché.
(b) Salvador Dali.
(c) Andre Breton.
(d) Luis Bunuel.
8. Breton announces in Section 2 that one of the purposes of Mad Love will be to explore _____ encounter with chance.
(a) His wife's.
(b) His own.
(c) His daughter's
(d) His son's.
9. Breton stated, in the first postscript of Section 3, that he had repressed the connection between the spoon and the what?
10. Who wrote "Annabel Lee"?
(a) Edgar Allan Poe.
(b) Alfred Jarry.
(c) Arthur Rimbaud.
(d) Comte de Lautréamont.
11. What is the second of the two essential questions posed by Breton in Section 2?
(a) "What do you want the most out of life?"
(b) "To what extent did this encounter seem to you, and, does it seem to you now, to be fortuitous or foreordained?"
(c) "What is the meaning of life?"
(d) "What do you consider the essential encounter of your life?"
12. Who published Civilization and Its Discontents?
(a) Karl Marx.
(b) Carl Jung.
(c) Sigmund Freud.
(d) Friedrich Engels.
13. What Swiss sculptor, painter, draughtsman, and printmaker created the monument on the grave of Gerda Taro at Père Lachaise Cemetery?
(a) Alberto Giacometti.
(b) Paul Eluard.
(c) Paul Cezanne.
(d) Roberto Gogol.
14. What art form does Breton invoke in the beginning of Mad Love?
15. Surrealist theory argues that what are important for the shock and surprise they elicit?
Short Answer Questions
1. The Hegelian dialectic consists of thesis, antithesis and what?
2. Who wrote The Poverty of Philosophy?
3. In Section 3, Breton contrasts the sexual instinct with the ____ instinct as he describes how, unbeknown to him, two people had perused the same objects at the flea market, one of whom was a former lover of Breton's.
4. When was the second postscript of Section 3 written?
5. Whose grief at the premature death of his wife, Nusch, in 1946 inspired the work "Le temps déborde" in 1947?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)