|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was The Communist Manifesto produced?
2. What kind of brooch was the waitress in the diner wearing, as described by Breton in Section 1?
3. The Hegelian dialectic consists of thesis, antithesis and what?
4. Surrealist theory argues that what are important for the shock and surprise they elicit?
5. Whose photography is featured throughout Mad Love?
(a) Gustav Klimt's.
(b) Pablo Picasso's.
(c) Man Ray's.
(d) Ansel Adam's.
6. What represents that organized part of the personality structure that includes defensive, perceptual, intellectual-cognitive, and executive functions?
7. When was the first postscript of Section 3 written?
8. What was the first object found by Breton and his friend in the flea market in Section 3?
(a) A spoon.
(b) A mask.
(c) A puppet.
(d) A doll.
9. What German social scientist, author, political theorist and philosopher co-founded communist theory, alongside Karl Marx?
(a) Carl Jung.
(b) Benito Mussolini.
(c) Sigmund Freud.
(d) Friedrich Engels.
10. Breton uses a metaphor in Section 1 comparing great quartz crystals found in grottoes in Europe and the simple crystals found in what?
(c) Building material.
(d) Rock salt.
11. In Section 3, Breton contrasts the sexual instinct with the ____ instinct as he describes how, unbeknown to him, two people had perused the same objects at the flea market, one of whom was a former lover of Breton's.
12. What term refers to a violent agitation or disturbance; commotion?
13. Who published Illuminations in 1874?
(a) Alfred Jarry.
(b) Comte de Lautréamont.
(c) Jacques Vaché.
(d) Arthur Rimbaud.
14. What French Poet's last major work, Un coup de dés jamais n'abolira le hasard ('A roll of the dice will never abolish chance'), was published in 1897?
(a) Jacques Vaché.
(b) Antonin Artaud.
(c) Stephen Mallarmé.
(d) Francois Depardieux.
15. What is the title of the photograph in Section 1 which accompanies Breton's discussion of Tarot?
(a) "Tarot and love."
(b) "Cards and wine."
(d) "Myself and her."
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to a mythological monster, half-man and half-bull?
2. What was the pen name of Eugène Émile Paul Grindel?
3. Who published Civilization and Its Discontents?
4. Mad Love was written as a continuation of what previous work which explored a relationship with a woman who later turned out to be mentally unstable?
5. What did Breton note was "lacking" in Giacometti's sculpture?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)