|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term refers to the absence of any cause of events that can be predicted, understood, or controlled?
2. Breton writes in Section 1, "In order to have a woman appear, I have seen myself opening a door, shutting it, opening it again -- when I had noticed that it was not enough to slip a ____ into a book chosen at random."
(a) Thin paper.
(c) Thin blade.
3. How many of the questionnaires sent out were returned with responses in Section 2?
(a) Almost half.
(b) Three quarters.
(c) None of them.
(d) All of them.
4. The Hegelian dialectic consists of thesis, antithesis and what?
5. In Section 2, Breton sought to answer how one memory might stand out as being a "sign of the spontaneous, the indeterminate, the unforeseeable or even the _____."
6. Breton stated, in the first postscript of Section 3, that he had repressed the connection between the spoon and the what?
7. When was The Surrealist Manifesto released?
8. What is the title of the photograph in Section 1 which accompanies Breton's discussion of Tarot?
(a) "Tarot and love."
(b) "Myself and her."
(d) "Cards and wine."
9. Breton claimed in Section 3 that the found object acted as a _____ for Giacometti.
10. What was the pen name of Eugène Émile Paul Grindel?
(a) Paul Eluard.
(b) Sam Beckett.
(c) Andre Breton.
(d) Antonin Artaud.
11. Who was the author of The Origin of the Family, Private Property and the State?
(a) Carl Jung.
(b) Friedrich Engels.
(c) Sigmund Freud.
(d) Karl Marx.
12. Who wrote "Annabel Lee"?
(a) Edgar Allan Poe.
(b) Arthur Rimbaud.
(c) Alfred Jarry.
(d) Comte de Lautréamont.
13. What French writer born in Laval, Mayenne, France, was best known for his work, Ubu Roi?
(a) Antonin Artaud.
(b) Alfred Jarry.
(c) Jacques Vaché.
(d) Francois Depardieux.
14. What comprises that organized part of the personality structure that criticizes and prohibits his or her drives, fantasies, feelings, and actions?
15. What was the second object found by Breton and his friend at the flea market in Section 3?
(a) A mirror.
(b) A spoon.
(c) A mask.
(d) A doll.
Short Answer Questions
1. Section 3 begins by invoking one of the cornerstones of the avant-garde, referred to as what?
2. What was on the handle of the spoon found at the flea market in Section 3?
3. Which component of Freud's psychological model acts according to the "pleasure principle", seeking to avoid pain or displeasure aroused by increases in instinctual tension?
4. What is the name of Andre Breton's daughter, to whom much of Mad Love is dedicated?
5. Where did Breton meet Lamba?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)