|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What comprises that organized part of the personality structure that criticizes and prohibits his or her drives, fantasies, feelings, and actions?
2. What term refers to a longing or craving, as for something that brings satisfaction or enjoyment?
3. What American writer, poet, editor and literary critic, considered part of the American Romantic Movement, was best known for his tales of mystery and the macabre?
(a) Edgar Allan Poe.
(b) Jacques Vaché.
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(d) Sam Shepherd.
4. What French poet produced his best known works while still in his late teens and gave up creative writing altogether before the age of 21?
(a) Antonin Artaud.
(b) Alfred Jarry.
(c) Jacques Vaché.
(d) Arthur Rimbaud.
5. What did Breton note was "lacking" in Giacometti's sculpture?
(a) The legs.
(b) The face.
(c) The torso.
(d) The arms.
6. When was the second postscript of Section 3 written?
7. What was on the handle of the spoon found at the flea market in Section 3?
(a) A girl.
(b) A cat.
(c) A shoe.
(d) A ring.
8. What did Breton recall an early definition of as "big spoons, enormous bitter-apples, and chandeliers of soap bubbles"?
9. Surrealist theory argues that what are important for the shock and surprise they elicit?
10. What term refers to the absence of any cause of events that can be predicted, understood, or controlled?
11. The Hegelian dialectic consists of thesis, antithesis and what?
12. While the responses of the survey from Section 2 were largely insufficient, there was enough interesting material there that Breton felt what?
(a) There was reason to use them, regardless.
(b) There was reason to send them again.
(c) There was some scientific justification.
(d) There was more to say.
13. Mad Love was written as a continuation of what previous work which explored a relationship with a woman who later turned out to be mentally unstable?
(a) L'Immaculée Conception.
(b) L'Air de l'eau.
(c) Ralentir travaux.
14. What is the second of the two essential questions posed by Breton in Section 2?
(a) "What do you want the most out of life?"
(b) "What is the meaning of life?"
(c) "What do you consider the essential encounter of your life?"
(d) "To what extent did this encounter seem to you, and, does it seem to you now, to be fortuitous or foreordained?"
15. What Surrealist journal is cited in Section 2 of Mad Love?
(a) The Venus.
(b) The Minotaur.
(d) The Centaur.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was The Communist Manifesto produced?
2. Where did Breton meet Lamba?
3. What year was it that Breton recounted going to a restaurant, in Section 1?
4. When was the first postscript of Section 3 written?
5. What refers to the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)