|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Breton recall an early definition of as "big spoons, enormous bitter-apples, and chandeliers of soap bubbles"?
2. Breton noted in Section 2 that answering how a memory might stand out as a sign of the spontaneous was likely not an appropriate answer to be sought through what?
(a) A magazine.
(c) A survey.
(d) A test.
3. Breton writes in Section 1, "In order to have a woman appear, I have seen myself opening a door, shutting it, opening it again -- when I had noticed that it was not enough to slip a ____ into a book chosen at random."
(a) Thin blade.
(b) Thin paper.
4. What Austrian neurologist founded the psychoanalytic school of psychiatry?
(a) Carl Jung.
(b) Friedrich Engels.
(c) Sigmund Freud.
(d) Antonin Artaud.
5. What did the dishwasher shout in the diner, as described by Breton in Section 1?
(a) "S'il Vous Plaît."
(b) "La bouche!"
(d) "Poisson soluble."
6. How many of the questionnaires sent out were returned with responses in Section 2?
(a) All of them.
(b) None of them.
(c) Almost half.
(d) Three quarters.
7. What refers to the science that investigates the principles governing correct or reliable inference?
8. What refers to the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed?
9. What is the original French title of Mad Love?
(a) L'Immaculée Conception.
(b) L'Amour fou.
(c) L'Air de l'eau.
(d) Manifeste du surréalisme.
10. What term refers to a violent agitation or disturbance; commotion?
11. In his self-reflection, Breton argued, he could point out the most significant and trivial details of his life and link them to the importance of what?
12. Whose grief at the premature death of his wife, Nusch, in 1946 inspired the work "Le temps déborde" in 1947?
(a) Sam Beckett's.
(b) Paul Eluard's.
(c) Antonin Artaud's.
(d) Andre Breton's.
13. The Hegelian dialectic consists of thesis, antithesis and what?
14. In Section 2, Breton sought to answer how one memory might stand out as being a "sign of the spontaneous, the indeterminate, the unforeseeable or even the _____."
15. Who wrote The Poverty of Philosophy?
(a) Benito Mussolini.
(b) Karl Marx.
(c) Sigmund Freud.
(d) Friedrich Engels.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comprises that organized part of the personality structure that criticizes and prohibits his or her drives, fantasies, feelings, and actions?
2. What was the pseudonym of Isidore Lucien Ducasse, an Uruguayan-born French poet?
3. What French Poet's last major work, Un coup de dés jamais n'abolira le hasard ('A roll of the dice will never abolish chance'), was published in 1897?
4. Whose photography is featured throughout Mad Love?
5. What French poet produced his best known works while still in his late teens and gave up creative writing altogether before the age of 21?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)