|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The only works published of Comte de Lautréamont include Les Chants de Maldoror and what?
(b) L'amour fou.
(c) Mad Love.
2. When was The Communist Manifesto produced?
3. What refers to a pack of cards (most commonly numbering 78), used from the mid-15th century in various parts of Europe to play a group of card games and for divination?
4. Surrealist theory argues that what are important for the shock and surprise they elicit?
5. Who published Illuminations in 1874?
(a) Arthur Rimbaud.
(b) Jacques Vaché.
(c) Alfred Jarry.
(d) Comte de Lautréamont.
6. What did Breton define as "the form making manifest the exterior necessity which traces its path in the human unconscious"?
7. Whose photography is featured throughout Mad Love?
(a) Gustav Klimt's.
(b) Ansel Adam's.
(c) Pablo Picasso's.
(d) Man Ray's.
8. Whose grief at the premature death of his wife, Nusch, in 1946 inspired the work "Le temps déborde" in 1947?
(a) Andre Breton's.
(b) Antonin Artaud's.
(c) Paul Eluard's.
(d) Sam Beckett's.
9. Who wrote "Annabel Lee"?
(a) Arthur Rimbaud.
(b) Edgar Allan Poe.
(c) Comte de Lautréamont.
(d) Alfred Jarry.
10. How many of the questionnaires sent out were returned with responses in Section 2?
(a) Almost half.
(b) All of them.
(c) None of them.
(d) Three quarters.
11. What year was it that Breton recounted going to a restaurant, in Section 1?
12. Mad Love was written as a continuation of what previous work which explored a relationship with a woman who later turned out to be mentally unstable?
(a) Ralentir travaux.
(b) L'Immaculée Conception.
(c) L'Air de l'eau.
13. Breton argues that "convulsive beauty" must be seen in terms of the object in motion, and how?
(a) In the mind.
(b) In space.
(c) In repose.
(d) In existence.
14. What story did the spoon from the flea market evoke for Breton?
(a) Sleeping Beauty.
(b) Hansel and Gretel.
15. Breton uses a metaphor in Section 1 comparing great quartz crystals found in grottoes in Europe and the simple crystals found in what?
(b) Rock salt.
(c) Building material.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of brooch was the waitress in the diner wearing, as described by Breton in Section 1?
2. Breton announces in Section 2 that one of the purposes of Mad Love will be to explore _____ encounter with chance.
3. Breton wrote in Section 3 that the meaning of the slipper in Cinderella is that of "lost object" and that to Breton it symbolized what?
4. What was the first object found by Breton and his friend in the flea market in Section 3?
5. What is the title of the photograph in Section 1 which accompanies Breton's discussion of Tarot?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)