|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Surrealist journal is cited in Section 2 of Mad Love?
(b) The Minotaur.
(c) The Venus.
(d) The Centaur.
2. What term refers to a violent agitation or disturbance; commotion?
3. The Hegelian dialectic consists of thesis, antithesis and what?
4. What American writer, poet, editor and literary critic, considered part of the American Romantic Movement, was best known for his tales of mystery and the macabre?
(a) Jacques Vaché.
(b) Edgar Allan Poe.
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(d) Sam Shepherd.
5. What refers to everyday items that can be transformed into art objects or reinterpreted as objects outside their intended utilitarian purpose?
(a) Found items.
(b) Creative items.
(c) Catalyst items.
(d) Art items.
6. Section 3 begins by invoking one of the cornerstones of the avant-garde, referred to as what?
(a) The new.
(b) The different.
(c) The obscure.
(d) The rebellious.
7. What was the pseudonym of Isidore Lucien Ducasse, an Uruguayan-born French poet?
(a) Alfred Jarry.
(b) Arthur Rimbaud.
(c) Comte de Lautréamont.
(d) Jacques Vaché.
8. Breton claimed in Section 3 that the found object acted as a _____ for Giacometti.
9. Breton wrote in Section 3 that the meaning of the slipper in Cinderella is that of "lost object" and that to Breton it symbolized what?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
(c) His daughter.
(d) An unknown woman.
10. Surrealist theory argues that what are important for the shock and surprise they elicit?
11. Breton recalls a trip to the flea market in what year, in Section 3?
12. What French Poet's last major work, Un coup de dés jamais n'abolira le hasard ('A roll of the dice will never abolish chance'), was published in 1897?
(a) Francois Depardieux.
(b) Jacques Vaché.
(c) Antonin Artaud.
(d) Stephen Mallarmé.
13. When was The Communist Manifesto produced?
14. What is the second of the two essential questions posed by Breton in Section 2?
(a) "What do you want the most out of life?"
(b) "What is the meaning of life?"
(c) "What do you consider the essential encounter of your life?"
(d) "To what extent did this encounter seem to you, and, does it seem to you now, to be fortuitous or foreordained?"
15. Who published Illuminations in 1874?
(a) Jacques Vaché.
(b) Alfred Jarry.
(c) Arthur Rimbaud.
(d) Comte de Lautréamont.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Freud's theory, the ego mediates among the ___, the super-ego and the external world.
2. What term refers to the state of being mentally disturbed; deranged; insane; demented?
3. What was on the handle of the spoon found at the flea market in Section 3?
4. Breton writes in Section 1, "In order to have a woman appear, I have seen myself opening a door, shutting it, opening it again -- when I had noticed that it was not enough to slip a ____ into a book chosen at random."
5. What is the first of the questions posed by Breton in Section 2?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)