|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What comprises that organized part of the personality structure that criticizes and prohibits his or her drives, fantasies, feelings, and actions?
2. When was the second postscript of Section 3 written?
3. Breton distinguishes in Section 1 between an object which is wished for and an object which is what?
(a) Prayed for.
(b) Dreamed of.
4. What Surrealist journal is cited in Section 2 of Mad Love?
(a) The Venus.
(b) The Minotaur.
(d) The Centaur.
5. In Section 3, Breton contrasts the sexual instinct with the ____ instinct as he describes how, unbeknown to him, two people had perused the same objects at the flea market, one of whom was a former lover of Breton's.
6. Breton stated, in the first postscript of Section 3, that he had repressed the connection between the spoon and the what?
7. What year was it that Breton recounted going to a restaurant, in Section 1?
8. What book's last line stated, "beauty will be CONVULSIVE or will not be at all"?
(a) Ralentir travaux.
(c) La Revolver à cheveux blancs.
(d) Un Cadavre.
9. Whose grief at the premature death of his wife, Nusch, in 1946 inspired the work "Le temps déborde" in 1947?
(a) Paul Eluard's.
(b) Andre Breton's.
(c) Sam Beckett's.
(d) Antonin Artaud's.
10. What term refers to the absence of any cause of events that can be predicted, understood, or controlled?
11. In Section 2, Breton sought to answer how one memory might stand out as being a "sign of the spontaneous, the indeterminate, the unforeseeable or even the _____."
12. With whom did Breton recount a conversation in the first postscript of Section 3?
13. What is the name of Andre Breton's daughter, to whom much of Mad Love is dedicated?
14. In Freud's theory, the ego mediates among the ___, the super-ego and the external world.
15. What term relates to magic, astrology, or any system claiming use or knowledge of secret or supernatural powers or agencies?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Breton define as "the form making manifest the exterior necessity which traces its path in the human unconscious"?
2. Breton writes in Section 1, "In order to have a woman appear, I have seen myself opening a door, shutting it, opening it again -- when I had noticed that it was not enough to slip a ____ into a book chosen at random."
3. The only works published of Comte de Lautréamont include Les Chants de Maldoror and what?
4. What French Poet's last major work, Un coup de dés jamais n'abolira le hasard ('A roll of the dice will never abolish chance'), was published in 1897?
5. What was on the handle of the spoon found at the flea market in Section 3?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)