Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What French writer born in Laval, Mayenne, France, was best known for his work, Ubu Roi?
(a) Jacques Vaché.
(b) Francois Depardieux.
(c) Antonin Artaud.
(d) Alfred Jarry.
2. Breton announces in Section 2 that one of the purposes of Mad Love will be to explore _____ encounter with chance.
(a) His daughter's
(b) His wife's.
(c) His own.
(d) His son's.
3. Surrealist theory argues that what are important for the shock and surprise they elicit?
4. What is the first of the questions posed by Breton in Section 2?
(a) "What do you consider the essential encounter of your life?"
(b) "What is the meaning of life?"
(c) "To what extent did this encounter seem to you, and, does it seem to you now, to be fortuitous or foreordained?"
(d) "Is there a God?"
5. What term refers to the absence of any cause of events that can be predicted, understood, or controlled?
6. What refers to a mythological monster, half-man and half-bull?
7. Who wrote Mad Love?
(a) Salvador Dali.
(b) Jacques Vaché.
(c) Andre Breton.
(d) Luis Bunuel.
8. Who first stated and established the Hegelian dialectic?
(a) Heinrich Moritz Chalybäus.
(b) Comte de Lautréamont.
(c) Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel.
(d) Arthur Rimbaud.
9. Whose grief at the premature death of his wife, Nusch, in 1946 inspired the work "Le temps déborde" in 1947?
(a) Antonin Artaud's.
(b) Paul Eluard's.
(c) Andre Breton's.
(d) Sam Beckett's.
10. What was the second object found by Breton and his friend at the flea market in Section 3?
(a) A mask.
(b) A doll.
(c) A mirror.
(d) A spoon.
11. What season was it that Breton went to the flea market with his friend in Section 3?
12. What was the pen name of Eugène Émile Paul Grindel?
(a) Paul Eluard.
(b) Andre Breton.
(c) Sam Beckett.
(d) Antonin Artaud.
13. What is the original French title of Mad Love?
(a) Manifeste du surréalisme.
(b) L'Amour fou.
(c) L'Immaculée Conception.
(d) L'Air de l'eau.
14. What French poet produced his best known works while still in his late teens and gave up creative writing altogether before the age of 21?
(a) Arthur Rimbaud.
(b) Antonin Artaud.
(c) Alfred Jarry.
(d) Jacques Vaché.
15. What story did the spoon from the flea market evoke for Breton?
(b) Hansel and Gretel.
(d) Sleeping Beauty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What French Poet's last major work, Un coup de dés jamais n'abolira le hasard ('A roll of the dice will never abolish chance'), was published in 1897?
2. What did Breton recall an early definition of as "big spoons, enormous bitter-apples, and chandeliers of soap bubbles"?
3. What did Breton define as "the form making manifest the exterior necessity which traces its path in the human unconscious"?
4. What nineteenth-century French poet's Les fleurs du mal was very influential on surrealism?
5. The only works published of Comte de Lautréamont include Les Chants de Maldoror and what?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)