|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carl discover about his ability to remember the culling song?
2. Where does Carl and Helen meet for the second time?
3. What does Carl discover after saying the culling poem in the shower?
4. What are the details Carl recites from the calendar he saw on the wall of the apartment of his second crib death story?
5. Who does Helen call on her cell phone in her quest for directions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the ethics question Carl says journalists are asked before they complete their ethics class?
2. What is Helen's response when Carl asks if she was responsible for the death of Basil Frankie?
3. What does Helen say was the reaction of her husband after the death of their son?
4. What does Carl find Helen and the "chicken woman" doing when he returns from the bathroom?
5. What is Carl's purpose for his first meeting with Helen?
6. What is the Mirror Book and who has one on the trip?
7. What does Helen say about her ability to pray very quickly?
8. Describe the telephone conversation Helen is having when she meets Carl for the first time.
9. Describe the actions and conversation of the man with the sideburns.
10. What is Mona working on during their car trip and why does she say it's a good hobby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Patrick? What is his role in the story? What is his fate? What does Patrick represent?
Essay Topic 2
Carl and Helen visit several homes where children had died. Describe the similarities and differences of at least three of these.
Essay Topic 3
Both Carl and Nash come into the culling song because of their jobs. Describe how each comes into possession of the culling song, how each uses it and the fate of each.
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)