|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carl say he wants to tell every family that has lost a child?
2. What does Helen say she wants to do with the original copy of the book?
3. What is the newscast that Helen hears that she encourages the others to listen to?
4. What is being announced on the radio when Carl meets up with Nash?
5. What kind of house does Helen say she and her husband lived in when their son, Patrick, died?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mona working on during their car trip and why does she say it's a good hobby?
2. Briefly describe three of three people Carl kills on the way back to his office.
3. What is the "Roadkill Jesus" and what kind of people are gathering because of it?
4. What is Helen's response when Carl asks if she was responsible for the death of Basil Frankie?
5. What does Helen say about the origin of the culling poem?
6. What does Carl offer up as "credentials" that he's worthy of following this story and why does he give that information to Helen?
7. What does Carl find Helen and the "chicken woman" doing when he returns from the bathroom?
8. What is the significance of the story about the nurse who killed so many people?
9. Describe the telephone conversation Helen is having when she meets Carl for the first time.
10. What is Carl's purpose for his first meeting with Helen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carl talks about his personal motivation for using the culling song and says he would never use it for evil. List at least three instances in which Carl uses the culling song and examine his motivations behind each.
Essay Topic 2
At one point Carl hopes the police will arrest him so that he can pay for his crimes. What is his motivation? Is it believable? Will it accomplish what he hopes to accomplish?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Mona leave the page with the culling spell in Carl's hands? Was she correct to do so? Why do you think so?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)