|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Carl say he learned about the inverted pyramid in journalism school?
(a) That you tell the story in chronological order
(b) That you begin at the beginning of the story
(c) That you begin with the most important fact
(d) That you keep the most important fact for the end
2. What does Carl discover after saying the culling poem in the shower?
(a) That he was probably heard in the apartment next door
(b) That everyone has turned off their televisions and music
(c) That there's a vent that carries sound to other apartments
(d) That it's suddenly silent in the rest of the building
3. What does Carl say is standard procedure with regard to a parent's role in a baby's death?
(a) To keep them away from the crime scene
(b) To assume that they are to blame
(c) To question them separately
(d) To assure them that they've done nothing wrong
4. What is in the package Carl picks up on his way home from work?
(b) new shoes
(d) Pieces for a miniature he's building
5. Where does the face of the barbiturate suicide appear?
(a) A mirror
(b) A staircase
(c) A window
(d) A tub filled with water
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carl say is the problem with every story?
2. What is Nash eating when Carl meets him in the bar?
3. Why does Helen tell the librarian she needs to know who checked out the book with the culling song?
4. What is Henderson's computer password?
5. What does Carl say he wants to tell every family that has lost a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carl find Helen and the "chicken woman" doing when he returns from the bathroom?
2. What is the "Roadkill Jesus" and what kind of people are gathering because of it?
3. What does Carl imagine could be the long-reaching effects of having the culling song become public knowledge?
4. What does Carl offer up as "credentials" that he's worthy of following this story and why does he give that information to Helen?
5. What are some of the myths about sudden infant death that Carl says have been disproved?
6. Briefly describe three of three people Carl kills on the way back to his office.
7. What is the inverted pyramid?
8. What does Carl say about the sounds he hears from his apartment?
9. How does Helen get into the home of the woman with the chickens on her apron?
10. What does Carl discover about his ability to forget the culling song?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)