|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Helen tell the librarian she needs to know who checked out the book with the culling song?
(a) She says it's dangerous
(b) She says the woman might kill someone
(c) She says her daughter left a family photo in the book
(d) She says she has to destroy the book
2. What does Carl say is the only fact known about sudden infant death syndrome?
(a) That babies are never alone when they die
(b) That babies are always alone when they die
(c) That there is no pattern
(d) That the paramedics always try to revive the infant
3. What does the man in the trench coat do to make Carl angry?
(a) Throws a newspaper on the ground
(b) Yells at an old woman
(c) Shoves him and calls him a name
(d) Refuses to move out of the way
4. What does Carl use to loosen the page with the culling song from its binder?
(a) A baby pin
(b) A picket knife
(c) His thumbnail
(d) A pair of tweezers
5. What is the basis for the advertisement regarding a class action lawsuit against Meadow Downs Fitness and Racquet Club?
(a) A flesh-eating fungal infection
(b) Tainted hamburgers
(c) Tainted turkey
(d) Poisonous spider bites
6. When does Carl decide he'll call the police about his role in Duncan's death?
(a) He doesn't
(b) After the body is discovered
(c) After it's apparent that Duncan isn't at work
(d) After he calls Helen
7. What color is the suit Helen wears to the Wiccan meeting?
(a) Grass green
(b) Honey gold
(c) Full moon yellow
(d) Powder blue
8. What is being announced on the radio when Carl meets up with Nash?
(a) School lunch menus
(b) The weather
(c) Class schedules for a community college
9. What color is Carl's tie?
(b) He's not wearing one
10. What is the source of the light on the table in the bar when Carl meets Nash?
(a) A lamp hanging from the ceiling
(b) The florescent light on the ceiling
(c) A single candle
(d) A series of candles of different sizes
11. Where does Carl say the culling song originated?
12. What is it that's hanging around Oyster's neck?
(a) A Hopi medicine bag
(b) A locket
(c) A dreamcatcher
(d) A magical amulet to deflect the culling song
13. What is the headline on the newspaper Nash hands Carl?
(a) Group looks for mystery book
(b) Newspaper reporter sought in deaths
(c) Seven dead in mystery plague
(d) Culling song revealed
14. What does Carl say he wants to tell every family that has lost a child?
(a) To take up a hobby
(b) That they are to blame
(c) That they are not to blame
(d) To see a counselor
15. What does Carl believe happened to Helen's husband and son?
(a) Helen shot them
(b) Helen read them the culling song
(c) They died in a car accident
(d) The husband had a heart attack and the son died of crib death
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carl say will be used for art with the story he's writing about sudden infant death syndrome?
2. What does Helen say she wants to do with the original copy of the book?
3. Who bought the book for Helen that contained the culling song?
4. What are among the possible causes cited in the newspaper article?
5. What is the newscast that Helen hears that she encourages the others to listen to?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)