|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ayah go searching in the winter night?
2. According to Ayah in the fourth section of the story, Chato sometimes calls her what name?
3. As Ayah and Chato wait for the storm to pass, what do the clouds look like?
4. What kind of horses did Chato once ride when he works at the white man's ranch?
5. Where is the old barn located according to Ayah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the traditional ways of the Navajo people personified in Lullaby? How does Silko incorporate and weave these traditions into the text of the story and how do those traditions affect the protagonist, Ayah? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The Anglos aren't the only people who have conflict with the Navajos and Ayah. Explain how Ayah and Chato along with other Navajos interact with Spanish Americans. What are the differences to how they interact with Anglos? Discuss the similarities. Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does alcohol act as a destroyer of Ayah and the Navajo people's lives and culture? Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)