|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Chato dies in his sleep, what does Ayah do?
2. According to Ayah, what tumbles the boulders down from the mesa?
3. What does Ayah notice about the way Chato smells in the fourth section of the story?
4. Why does Ayah choose to stop walking at the end of the story?
5. What is the weather like once Ayah leaves the bar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the story, Ayah sings a lullaby to Chato as he peacefully dies in his sleep during the bitter cold. How is the act representative of Ayah finding peace? In what ways does it support the Navajos' belief in the circle of life? What is the importance of song in Lullaby? How does the importance of oral tradition play into song and its usage in Lullaby? Use fact details from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Ayah feels that she doesn't know Chato, that they become strangers. In what ways does the theme of alienation play out in the story? Use fact details from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Ayah feel betrayed by Chato, and how does the feeling of betrayal go beyond the loss of her two children? In what other areas of their life together, does Ayah feel Chato had betrayed her and their tribe? Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)