|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ayah notices about Chato as the two are walking in the fourth section?
2. As Chato dies in his sleep, what does Ayah do?
3. Even with his dementia, what does Chato think of the white man's ranch?
4. How does Chato look at Ayah as he shuffles down the highway?
5. What emotion does Ayah feel as she leaves the bar in Section 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of loss is ever-present in Lullaby. What does Silko state is loss through Ayah's memories of her life? How does the overall tone of the story convey this sense of loss? Use fact details from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is Ayah and Chato's garden a symbol of? What is the purpose its role in the story. What does it mean to Ayah and Chato and to the theme of tradition and pride? Use fact details from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Historical facts and myths about Native Americans and Anglos are incorporated throughout Lullaby. Explain how Ayah's beliefs about the Anglos both help and hurt her life. Use fact details from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)