|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the overall tone of the first half of the story?
2. During the last visit with the children, what did Danny struggle to do with Ayah?
3. What are the names of Ayah's two children she lost to the Bureau of Indian Affairs?
4. Ayah remembers doing what to her mother when she knows it is time to give birth to Jimmie?
5. What does Ayah remember happening to Jimmie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ayah recognize about Chato's drinking?
2. When Ayah openly accuses the whites of lying, why does Chato's words, "It's too late now", symbolic of the white and Native American relationships of the past?
3. Why did Ayah feel relieved that the wine and the government money were gone?
4. In the opening paragraph of "Lullaby", Ayah reaches out to touch the falling snow--like her babies do--and this makes her smile. Describe how this analogy to youth ties into the title of the short story.
5. What does the description of the place where Ayah, Chato and the children live on the white man's ranch reveal about their living conditions?
6. What is the significance of Ayah offering half her blanket to Chato as they walk down the road?
7. What does Silko mean when she says Ayah carries the pain of "in her belly" and that the pain is fed by everything Ayah sees?
8. What is the significance of Ayah's tracks in the snow being filled by the falling snow until they're gone? How does this apply to Ayah's memories?
9. Why did Chato not like walking behind the old sheep he and Ayah owned?
10. In what ways is the older Navajo men's warning about language--to learn their language or any of their ways endangers you--borne out throughout the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Ayah feel betrayed by Chato, and how does the feeling of betrayal go beyond the loss of her two children? In what other areas of their life together, does Ayah feel Chato had betrayed her and their tribe? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is Ayah and Chato's garden a symbol of? What is the purpose its role in the story. What does it mean to Ayah and Chato and to the theme of tradition and pride? Use fact details from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout Lullaby, there is a constant clash between Navajo and Anglos. In what ways are both sides misunderstood and which are deliberate? Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)