|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What affliction does Chato suffer from because of his old age?
2. What metaphor does Silko use to compare the snowflakes to as they enter the bar?
3. How did Chato tell Ayah that Jimmie died?
4. In the present, at the beginning of the second section, where is Ayah?
5. At the beginning of the second section, what is the weather doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ayah's fear of the white doctors drive her to give away her children?
2. Why is Ayah's hatred of the fact that Chato teaches her to sign her name a part of the theme of the story?
3. Why does Ayah hate the information that Chato told her it was the old woman who died in the winter that gave the children a disease?
4. Why was Ayah satisfied when the white rancher fires Chato and evicted them from the shack?
5. Why does Silko make a point of stating that the white doctors came before they hire Navajo women to go with them as interpreters?
6. What is the significance of Ayah's shoes as analogy of the power of time and the progression of one culture overtaking another?
7. Why did Ayah not say good-bye to Danny and Ella during the last visit?
8. What is the irony of Ayah having to search for Chato in the present when she spent so many years distancing herself from him?
9. Why does the death of Jimmie serve as an important memory for Ayah and for the reader?
10. Why did Ayah believe Chato is a stranger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the onset of the novel, Ayah is wrapped in Jimmie's old army blanket. Describe what all this is a metaphor for, using specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
How do the hills and landscape comfort Ayah when she attempts to escape with the Danny and Ella to the mesa? After they are taken, it is this place Ayah stays. Why? What do the parts of the landscape mean to her? How do they remind her of her children? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of loss is ever-present in Lullaby. What does Silko state is loss through Ayah's memories of her life? How does the overall tone of the story convey this sense of loss? Use fact details from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)