|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ayah believe the people in the bar feel about her being in the bar?
2. What does Ayah remember is remarkable about elkhide moccasins?
3. As Ayah studies the faces in the bar, whom do they remind her of?
4. Ayah remembers what types of items in the black pot that are used for dying wool?
5. Ayah remembers that Danny used to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ayah feel relieved that the wine and the government money were gone?
2. What is the purpose of Ayah remembering Jimmie's birth in the opening scene?
3. What is the significance of Jimmie's old Army blanket to Ayah?
4. The opening line reads, "the sun goes down, but the snow in the wind give off its own light." How does this beginning statement serve as an introduction to the main protagonist, Ayah?
5. What does Ayah's walk back to the bar symbolize?
6. Why does thinking about weaving bring Ayah peace during the first scene of the story?
7. What do the scars on Chato's hands symbolize?
8. What is the purpose of the personification of the "freezing" at the end of the story?
9. What is the significance of Ayah's tracks in the snow being filled by the falling snow until they're gone? How does this apply to Ayah's memories?
10. What is the irony of Ayah having to search for Chato in the present when she spent so many years distancing herself from him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the hills and landscape comfort Ayah when she attempts to escape with the Danny and Ella to the mesa? After they are taken, it is this place Ayah stays. Why? What do the parts of the landscape mean to her? How do they remind her of her children? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout Lullaby, there is a constant clash between Navajo and Anglos. In what ways are both sides misunderstood and which are deliberate? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Chato spends much of their monthly welfare check on alcohol. Why does he do this? Why does Ayah believe he does this? How does this issue of shame play out in Chato's other actions? Use fact details from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)