|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What metaphor does the people in the bar's looks compare Ayah to?
2. At the opening of the second section, who is Ayah searching for?
3. What does Ayah remember is remarkable about elkhide moccasins?
4. Ayah remembers what types of items in the black pot that are used for dying wool?
5. Where does Chato buy his wine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the doctors returning the next day with a police officer?
2. How did the environment of the hills take away Ayah's and the children's fear and anger?
3. Why did the men in the bar remind Ayah of the first time white people brought Danny and Ella back?
4. What is the significance of Chato being able to go into Azzie's Bar, where once Navajos are thrown out?
5. Why was Ayah proud while amongst the men in the bar?
6. What is the purpose of the personification of the "freezing" at the end of the story?
7. What is significant about Chato getting sick after the white rancher he works for fires him and evicts him from the ranch?
8. Although Ayah doesn't cry at first, she "hurts inside with anger". What does this mean and how does it fuel her anger toward the white man?
9. What does Silko mean when she says Ayah carries the pain of "in her belly" and that the pain is fed by everything Ayah sees?
10. Why didn't Ayah mourn Jimmie's death when she first hears the news?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Anglos aren't the only people who have conflict with the Navajos and Ayah. Explain how Ayah and Chato along with other Navajos interact with Spanish Americans. What are the differences to how they interact with Anglos? Discuss the similarities. Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of loss is ever-present in Lullaby. What does Silko state is loss through Ayah's memories of her life? How does the overall tone of the story convey this sense of loss? Use fact details from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Silko end Ayah's and Chato's lives in the manner she does? Do you find this method effective ending? Why or why not? Use fact details from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)