|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does warming herself by the fire make Ayah feel?
2. As a little girl, what did Ayah do with the raw, washed wool?
(a) Passed it to her grandmother.
(b) Handed it to her mother.
(c) Pulled the twigs and burrs from it.
(d) Dyed it.
3. During the last visit with the children, what did Danny struggle to do with Ayah?
(a) Speak Navajo.
4. What metaphor does Silko use to compare the snowflakes to as they enter the bar?
5. As Ayah learned the rhythm of her pains while in labor with Jimmie, what did she smell outside the stone hogan?
(d) Bee flowers blooming and willows.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ayah do to try to prevent the Bureau of Indian Affairs from taking her children?
2. How did the blond woman behave while Ayah's children were visiting?
3. Who came to tell Ayah that her remaining two children were sick?
4. What season does the setting take place in?
5. Over time, what did the visiting children begin to think of Ayah?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Ayah recognizing one of the white doctors who came to her home?
2. Why was Ayah satisfied when the white rancher fires Chato and evicted them from the shack?
3. Why did Chato not like walking behind the old sheep he and Ayah owned?
4. What is the significance of Jimmie's old Army blanket to Ayah?
5. What is the significance of Ayah offering half her blanket to Chato as they walk down the road?
6. Why does Ayah point out that Chato speaks both English and Spanish during the scene with the Army official? Why is this important?
7. What is the significance of the doctors returning the next day with a police officer?
8. Although Ayah doesn't cry at first, she "hurts inside with anger". What does this mean and how does it fuel her anger toward the white man?
9. How is losing Danny and Ella "worse than if they died" to Ayah?
10. What is significant about Chato getting sick after the white rancher he works for fires him and evicts him from the ranch?
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)