|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Ayah punish Chato for teaching her English and failing to keep her kids from being taken away?
(a) She cursed him.
(b) She slapped him.
(c) She moved out.
(d) She distanced herself from him.
2. What did Ayah feel Chato did to her by teaching her to sign her name in English?
(a) Hurt her.
(b) Betrayed her.
(c) Confused her.
(d) Made her smarter.
3. What war did Jimmie leave to go fight?
(a) Korean War.
(b) World War I.
(c) World War II.
(d) Vietnam War.
4. The last time Ayah met with her children, how did Ella stare at her?
(a) With love.
(b) Like the men in the bar do.
(c) With hope.
(d) With anger.
5. How does warming herself by the fire make Ayah feel?
Short Answer Questions
1. Ayah remembers doing what to her mother when she knows it is time to give birth to Jimmie?
2. What are the names of Ayah's two children she lost to the Bureau of Indian Affairs?
3. What is located at the far corner of the bar?
4. How did Chato break his leg?
5. How did Jimmie actually die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the description of the place where Ayah, Chato and the children live on the white man's ranch reveal about their living conditions?
2. Why was the walk back to the bar a "hard walk" for Ayah?
3. Ayah states she is frightened by how the doctors look at the children, like lizards watching flies. Why does this metaphor drive home the predator and prey motif?
4. What role did Azzie's bar play in Chato's development?
5. Why did Ayah feel the men look at her like she is a spider?
6. The opening line reads, "the sun goes down, but the snow in the wind give off its own light." How does this beginning statement serve as an introduction to the main protagonist, Ayah?
7. What is the significance of the doctors returning the next day with a police officer?
8. Why did Ayah feel relieved that the wine and the government money were gone?
9. What does Silko mean when she says that Ayah's life becomes memories?
10. What is the purpose of the personification of the "freezing" at the end of the story?
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)