|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does having livestock connect Ayah and Chato to the land?
(a) They are following traditional Navajo lifestyle.
(b) Livestock gives them food.
(c) They take care of them.
(d) The livestock work the land.
2. Outside of the place where Ayah and Chato live, what is the condition of the land?
(d) Dry and sandy.
3. What is the weather doing as Ayah and Chato walk together?
4. What does Ayah breathe with as she sits beneath the clear sky?
(a) Ayah breathes with confusion.
(b) Ayah breathes with clarity.
(c) Ayah breathes with sorrow.
(d) Ayah breathes with fear.
5. What kind of horses did Chato once ride when he works at the white man's ranch?
(c) Quarter horses.
6. How does Chato look at Ayah as he shuffles down the highway?
(a) As if she's his sister.
(b) As if she's a stranger.
(c) As if seeing her for the first time.
(d) As if she scares him.
7. As Chato sleeps, what does Ayah believe he looks like?
(a) A younger man.
(c) A baby.
(d) A warrior.
8. To Ayah, the clouds are like what?
9. What emotion does Ayah feel as she leaves the bar in Section 3?
10. Why does Ayah feel that no one in the bar could hurt her?
(a) She shows them no fear.
(b) She is sure of her identity.
(c) She is wrapped in Jimmie's blanket.
(d) She is armed.
11. In Ayah's memory, what did Chato do the next day, after they returned home from Cebolleta?
(b) Complain about his hangover.
(d) Tend sheep.
12. Where does Chato get the items in the big brown box?
(b) The medicine man.
(c) His sister.
(d) The white man's ranch.
13. According to Ayah, the freezing has what kind of strength?
(a) Strength like an elephant.
(b) Strength like Orion.
(c) Strength like a horse.
(d) Strength like an eagle.
14. Why isn't Ayah sorry for Chato's dislike for his current life?
(a) She feels he turns his back on his people's ways.
(b) She feels he should know better than to trust a white man.
(c) She feels he should accept it and be happy.
(d) She feels he deserves it.
15. After Chato's return with the brown box, what does he do the first of every month?
(a) Eat peaches.
(b) Visit his sister's.
(c) Goes to Cebolleta.
(d) Go to the welfare office.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Ayah and Chato sleep when they came to Cebolleta?
2. How does Ayah describe the freezing?
3. What arrives at the post office in a colorful government envelope?
4. What does Ayah notice about the way Chato smells in the fourth section of the story?
5. What do the arroyos have to offer Ayah's and Chato's livestock?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)