|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Even with his dementia, what does Chato think of the white man's ranch?
(a) The ranch can't run without him.
(b) The white man and he are friends.
(c) The ranch is his home.
(d) The cattle are his people.
2. Where is the old barn located according to Ayah?
(a) Near the reservation.
(b) Near the mesa.
(c) Near the boulders.
(d) Near the arroyo.
3. Through what part of the sky can Ayah see a star as the weather changes?
4. What kind of horses did Chato once ride when he works at the white man's ranch?
(d) Quarter horses.
5. What does Ayah smells through the night air at the end of the story?
(a) The woodsmoke of a hogan.
(b) The stench of fear.
(c) The purity of half moon and the stars.
(d) The reek of Chato's alcohol drenched body.
6. Whom is Ayah looking for as she searches outside the bar?
(a) Her dog.
(d) Her sister.
7. As Ayah and Chato wait against the storm, at what rate do the clouds pass?
(b) In paces.
8. Why doesn't Ayah care about the loss of the money?
(a) The money doesn't give her what she wants.
(b) It is white man's money.
(c) She doesn't understand how to use it.
(d) The money causes problems for her and Chato.
9. In the fourth section of the story, what is Chato doing when Ayah finds him?
(b) Screaming for help.
(d) Walking along the pavement.
10. How would Ayah feel if Chato used up the government money?
11. As they sit down behind the boulders, what does Ayah offer Chato?
(a) Half her blanket.
(b) A bit of something to eat.
(c) Her forgiveness.
(d) Her shoes.
12. As Ayah searches in the night, what does she think about her relationship with Chato?
(a) He tries, but fails her greatly.
(b) He badly hurts her.
(c) There is no place for him but with her.
(d) He is a good husband.
13. Why does Ayah feel that no one in the bar could hurt her?
(a) She is armed.
(b) She shows them no fear.
(c) She is sure of her identity.
(d) She is wrapped in Jimmie's blanket.
14. What is the condition of Chato's boots?
(a) Worn, but durable for snow.
(b) Brand new.
(c) Worn out with holes.
(d) New but too large for his feet.
15. How does Chato look at Ayah as he shuffles down the highway?
(a) As if she's his sister.
(b) As if she's a stranger.
(c) As if she scares him.
(d) As if seeing her for the first time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the components of a hogan?
2. Why does Chato have a limp?
3. What is the weather like once Ayah leaves the bar?
4. What does Ayah notices about Chato as the two are walking in the fourth section?
5. What does Ayah think she does to make the men in the bar fear her?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)