|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ayah believe makes Chato sleep during the freezing?
2. Even with his dementia, what does Chato think of the white man's ranch?
(a) The cattle are his people.
(b) The white man and he are friends.
(c) The ranch is his home.
(d) The ranch can't run without him.
3. Why does Chato have a limp?
(a) He broke his ankle.
(b) His leg was crushed years ago.
(c) His leg was crushed by a cow.
(d) He broke his leg moving furniture.
4. In Ayah's memory, what did Chato do the next day, after they returned home from Cebolleta?
(a) Complain about his hangover.
(d) Tend sheep.
5. Why does Ayah believe Chato doesn't like guiding "the old ewes"?
(a) He dislikes sheep.
(b) He is tired of working.
(c) It reminds him of Jimmie.
(d) He is used to guiding cattle.
6. What arrives at the post office in a colorful government envelope?
(a) A letter from Jimmie.
(b) A welfare check.
(c) Letters from Danny and Ella.
(d) An eviction notice.
7. As Ayah enjoys watching and connecting to the heavens, what does Chato do?
(a) He holds her close to him.
(b) He sings.
(c) He crawles up into the fetal position.
(d) He whispers.
8. Why is the old barn symbolic of the relationship between the whites and Navajos?
(a) It is inadequate for Ayah and Chato's needs.
(b) It is built by whites.
(c) It is adequate for Ayah and Chato's needs.
(d) It is a farm housing, not a real house.
9. Why does Ayah hope the government money and the wine are gone?
(a) Chato is happy.
(b) She doesn't have to worry about it.
(c) She and Chato could finally go home.
(d) Chato is angry.
10. Where did Chato decide to go to get help for he and Ayah's dietary needs?
(a) To the white man's ranch.
(b) Into town.
(c) To see the medicine man.
(d) To the hogan.
11. As they sit down behind the boulders, what does Ayah offer Chato?
(a) A bit of something to eat.
(b) Her shoes.
(c) Half her blanket.
(d) Her forgiveness.
12. Why do Ayah and Chato perform the traditional actions every May?
(a) Because it helps Ayah heal.
(b) It helps them remember Jimmie.
(c) Because it is a habit for them.
(d) Because it is time to do it.
13. Through what part of the sky can Ayah see a star as the weather changes?
14. According to Ayah, what streams white mist in the sky's distance during the storm?
(a) Tail hairs of great horses.
(b) Tails of great mules.
(c) Manes of great lions.
(d) Smoke of giant pipes.
15. As the sky clears, what does Ayah notice about herself and the sky?
(a) That Chato falls asleep.
(b) That she is small and it is great.
(c) That she is cold.
(d) There is nothing between them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What clothing does Chato have on his body as he shuffles through the snow?
2. What color are the clouds Ayah and Chato watch as they wait against the rocks?
3. What is the condition of Chato's boots?
4. During their walk, where do Ayah and Chato go to rest?
5. Why does Ayah go searching in the winter night?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)