|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ayah feel that no one in the bar could hurt her?
(a) She is sure of her identity.
(b) She is armed.
(c) She shows them no fear.
(d) She is wrapped in Jimmie's blanket.
2. Where did Ayah and Chato sleep when they came to Cebolleta?
(a) The hogan.
(b) The old barn.
(c) On the street.
(d) Outside the bar.
3. Outside of the place where Ayah and Chato live, what is the condition of the land?
(c) Dry and sandy.
4. What does Ayah notices about Chato as the two are walking in the fourth section?
(a) He moves nimble and quick.
(b) He moves slowly in his old age.
(c) He is tired.
(d) He is shorter than he once is.
5. What kind of horses did Chato once ride when he works at the white man's ranch?
(b) Quarter horses.
6. In the fourth section of the story, what is Chato doing when Ayah finds him?
(a) Walking along the pavement.
(b) Screaming for help.
7. What is the condition of Chato's boots?
(a) Brand new.
(b) New but too large for his feet.
(c) Worn, but durable for snow.
(d) Worn out with holes.
8. According to Ayah in the fourth section of the story, Chato sometimes calls her what name?
(a) His sister's name.
(b) His mother's name.
(c) Her sister's name.
(d) His daughter's name.
9. According to Ayah, when did Chato start going to the bar?
(a) After Jimmie died.
(b) After five years of drought.
(c) After she sleeps away from him.
(d) After Danny and Ella are taken.
10. Where did Chato decide to go to get help for he and Ayah's dietary needs?
(a) To see the medicine man.
(b) To the hogan.
(c) To the white man's ranch.
(d) Into town.
11. What do the days of Ayah and Chato's journey sound like to Ayah?
(b) Like a lullaby.
12. Why is the old barn symbolic of the relationship between the whites and Navajos?
(a) It is adequate for Ayah and Chato's needs.
(b) It is inadequate for Ayah and Chato's needs.
(c) It is built by whites.
(d) It is a farm housing, not a real house.
13. As the sky clears, what does Ayah notice about herself and the sky?
(a) That she is cold.
(b) There is nothing between them.
(c) That she is small and it is great.
(d) That Chato falls asleep.
14. According to Ayah, how does the freezing come down to the ground?
(c) Like hail.
(d) In slow motion.
15. What does Ayah think of when she wraps the blanket around Chato?
(b) Chato when they are young.
Short Answer Questions
1. What traditional thing does Ayah and Chato do every May?
2. According to Ayah, what tumbles the boulders down from the mesa?
3. What does Ayah notice about the way Chato smells in the fourth section of the story?
4. In the fourth section of the story, what does Chato do when he heads Ayah behind him?
5. After Chato's return with the brown box, what does he do the first of every month?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)