|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the weather doing as Ayah and Chato walk together?
2. What kind of livestock does Chato and Ayah have at their home?
3. As they sit down behind the boulders, what does Ayah offer Chato?
(a) Her shoes.
(b) A bit of something to eat.
(c) Half her blanket.
(d) Her forgiveness.
4. How does Chato look at Ayah as he shuffles down the highway?
(a) As if she scares him.
(b) As if she's his sister.
(c) As if seeing her for the first time.
(d) As if she's a stranger.
5. How would Ayah feel if Chato used up the government money?
6. Where did Ayah and Chato sleep when they came to Cebolleta?
(a) The old barn.
(b) On the street.
(c) The hogan.
(d) Outside the bar.
7. According to Ayah, what does she and Chato not have enough of for five years?
8. Even with his dementia, what does Chato think of the white man's ranch?
(a) The ranch can't run without him.
(b) The cattle are his people.
(c) The ranch is his home.
(d) The white man and he are friends.
9. Where does Chato get the items in the big brown box?
(a) The medicine man.
(b) The white man's ranch.
(d) His sister.
10. Why does Ayah choose to stop walking at the end of the story?
(a) She is hungry.
(b) Chato asks her to stop.
(c) Chato stumbles and falls.
(d) She is tired.
11. Why does Ayah feel her home is connected to her?
(a) Chato's mother lives there.
(b) She and Chato buy it.
(c) It is a traditional Navajo home, and she is born there.
(d) Her ancestors build it.
12. Why does Chato go to see the postmaster?
(a) To see his sister.
(b) To ask for employment.
(c) To collect their welfare check.
(d) To mail letters.
13. According to Ayah, Chato is doing what a lot lately?
14. What does Ayah think of when she wraps the blanket around Chato?
(a) Chato when they are young.
15. According to Ayah, when did Chato start going to the bar?
(a) After five years of drought.
(b) After she sleeps away from him.
(c) After Jimmie died.
(d) After Danny and Ella are taken.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ayah believe Chato doesn't like guiding "the old ewes"?
2. What clothing does Chato have on his body as he shuffles through the snow?
3. In the fourth section of the story, what does Chato do when he heads Ayah behind him?
4. What does Ayah breathe with as she sits beneath the clear sky?
5. What muffles Ayah's laughter while she and Chato walk together outside?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)