|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ayah believe the people in the bar feel about her being in the bar?
(a) They are nervous.
(b) They are angry.
(c) They are anxious.
(d) They are afraid.
2. Where does Chato buy his wine?
(a) At the store.
(b) From a gas station.
(c) From his friend.
(d) At Azzie's bar.
3. How long did Ayah cook Chato's meals and smile at him?
4. Why is Ayah surprised when she reaches the wooden steps of the bar?
(a) A policeman is there.
(b) Chato isn't sitting there.
(c) It's covered in snow.
(d) The steps are broken.
5. As Ayah studies the faces in the bar, whom do they remind her of?
(a) The white people wh took her children.
(b) The white people who owned the post office.
(c) The white people who owned the ranch.
(d) The white people who brought her children back.
6. When Ayah thinks back to the times she spent with her two children, what does she think happened?
(a) They grew to deal with her ways.
(b) They became strangers.
(c) They grew to love her.
(d) They grew to hate her.
7. What does Ayah remember is remarkable about elkhide moccasins?
(a) They keep a person's legs warm.
(b) They keep a person's legs dry in the snow.
(c) They are traditional shoes.
(d) They are handmade.
8. During the last visit with Danny and Ella, what did Danny give to Ayah?
(a) A flower.
(b) A bird he draew on paper.
(c) A note.
(d) A plant.
9. What kind of tree does Ayah sit under as she thinks about her life?
(a) A cottonwood.
(b) A giving tree.
(c) A redwood.
(d) An oak.
10. Who are the Yeibechei?
(a) Ayah's relatives.
(b) Another Native American tribe.
(c) Navajo holy people.
(d) The elders.
11. What is the overall tone of the first half of the story?
12. Why is Chato permitted in the bars?
(a) Because he speaks Spanish like one of them.
(b) Because he is a regular.
(c) Because he has a running tab.
(d) Because he is kind.
13. After Ayah enters the bar, what does she neglect to do?
(a) Lower her eyes.
(b) Close the door.
(d) Speak to the bartender.
14. What branch of the military did Jimmie go into?
(c) Air Force.
15. Why is Ayah allowed to go into the bar?
(a) She is a woman.
(b) She is old.
(c) She is smart.
(d) She is Navajo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What metaphor does Silko use to compare the snowflakes to as they enter the bar?
2. Where does the story take place?
3. Where does Ayah remember her mother taking her after the birth of her oldest son?
4. What are the names of Ayah's two children she lost to the Bureau of Indian Affairs?
5. What affliction does Chato suffer from because of his old age?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)