|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Chato break his leg?
(a) A white man hit him.
(b) He fell while working.
(c) He stepped into a hole.
(d) A horse fell on it.
2. When the children visited for the last time, why did Ayah not say goodbye?
(a) Because she forgot.
(b) Because she turned away from them.
(c) Because they didn't understand her.
(d) Because they didn't say goodbye to her.
3. How did the blond woman behave while Ayah's children were visiting?
4. Why does Chato often disappear at the beginning of the month?
(a) He cashes their welfare check and splits it with Ayah.
(b) He cashes their welfare check and drinks alcohol.
(c) He cashes their welfare check and puts it in the bank.
(d) He cashes their welfare check and buys groceries.
5. What is located at the far corner of the bar?
(a) A vending machine.
(b) A wood stove.
(c) A pool table.
(d) A bathroom.
6. Who are the Yeibechei?
(a) Ayah's relatives.
(b) Another Native American tribe.
(c) Navajo holy people.
(d) The elders.
7. How does warming herself by the fire make Ayah feel?
8. According to Ayah, what makes the government worker frightened?
(a) The foreign items and Navajo language being spoken.
(b) Ayah's anger.
(c) Chato's scarred hands.
(d) The rural landscape on the reservation.
9. Where does Ayah go first on her search?
(a) A barn.
(b) A hogan.
(c) A ranch.
(d) Azzie's Bar.
10. During the last visit with Danny and Ella, what did Danny give to Ayah?
(a) A plant.
(b) A note.
(c) A flower.
(d) A bird he draew on paper.
11. Over time, what did the visiting children begin to think of Ayah?
(a) They thought she was crazy.
(b) They thought she was stupid.
(c) They thought she was backwards.
(d) They thought she was just old.
12. As Ayah studies the faces in the bar, whom do they remind her of?
(a) The white people who owned the ranch.
(b) The white people who brought her children back.
(c) The white people wh took her children.
(d) The white people who owned the post office.
13. Why is Ayah surprised when she reaches the wooden steps of the bar?
(a) A policeman is there.
(b) Chato isn't sitting there.
(c) It's covered in snow.
(d) The steps are broken.
14. Where does the story take place?
(a) In New York.
(b) In Phoenix.
(c) In Navajo Country.
(d) In Taos.
15. Why does Ayah take care of Chato?
(a) She feels it is her duty.
(b) She loves him.
(c) She has children with him.
(d) She feels responsible for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ayah remember is remarkable about elkhide moccasins?
2. After a time, Ayah realized that she could no longer do what with her two remaining children?
3. What does the sound of the wind remind the main character of?
4. Why does Ayah visually search every dark place in the bar?
5. What did Ayah do by signing her name that she didn't realize until later?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)