|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jimmie's Navajo name mean?
(a) Brave soldier.
(b) Summer morning.
(c) Beautiful son.
2. During the last visit with the children, what did Danny struggle to do with Ayah?
(a) Speak Navajo.
3. Who is the main character in the story?
4. How does remembering make Ayah feel?
5. Standing by the stove in the bar, what does Ayah decide to do?
(a) Dry her blanket.
6. When Danny and Ella came to visit, whom does Ayah remember came with them?
(a) Her mother and grandmother.
(b) Her mother.
(c) White women.
(d) Chato's family.
7. In the present, at the beginning of the second section, where is Ayah?
(a) At home.
(b) In the woods.
(c) On the mesa.
(d) In Cebolleta.
8. As Ayah studies the faces in the bar, whom do they remind her of?
(a) The white people who brought her children back.
(b) The white people who owned the post office.
(c) The white people who owned the ranch.
(d) The white people wh took her children.
9. Where does Chato buy his wine?
(a) At Azzie's bar.
(b) From his friend.
(c) At the store.
(d) From a gas station.
10. What languages does Chato speak?
(a) English, Spanish, and Navajo.
(b) Spanish and Navajo.
(c) English and Navajo.
(d) Spanish and English.
11. What season does the setting take place in?
12. Why does Ayah take care of Chato?
(a) She feels it is her duty.
(b) She feels responsible for him.
(c) She has children with him.
(d) She loves him.
13. What does Ayah remember happening to Jimmie?
(a) He moved away.
(b) The earth swallowed him up.
(c) He never came home.
(d) He stopped contacting her.
14. What is Jimmie's birth order?
(b) Second youngest.
15. Ayah remembers what types of items in the black pot that are used for dying wool?
(a) Ink dyes.
(b) Berries, herbs, and plants.
(d) Berries, sage, and beeweed petals.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Chato tell Ayah that Jimmie died?
2. Why is Chato permitted in the bars?
3. Why does Chato often disappear at the beginning of the month?
4. How did Chato break his leg?
5. What shocked the visitor about Ayah and Chato's decision about Jimmie's body?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)