|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Ayah worked with the wool as a little girl, what did her grandma do?
(a) She wove the yarn on the loom.
(b) She sheared the sheep.
(c) She spun yarn around spindles.
(d) She prayed.
2. What does the sound of the wind remind the main character of?
(a) A dog.
(b) The Yeibechei.
(c) A wolf.
(d) A lullaby.
3. What are the names of Ayah's two children she lost to the Bureau of Indian Affairs?
(a) Ella and Danny.
(b) Jimmie and Steve.
(c) Erica and Noemi.
(d) Billy and Joe.
4. What did Ayah feel Chato did to her by teaching her to sign her name in English?
(a) Made her smarter.
(b) Confused her.
(c) Hurt her.
(d) Betrayed her.
5. What affliction does Chato suffer from because of his old age?
(d) Brittle bones.
6. What is one characteristic of Ayah's mother's woven blankets?
(a) They are sold for a lot of money.
(b) They are pretty.
(c) Rain rolls off them.
(d) They are used as rug.
7. How does Ayah mourn Jimmie?
(a) That night.
(b) With angry words.
(c) At once.
(d) Over time.
8. Where does Ayah remember her mother taking her after the birth of her oldest son?
(a) To an oracle.
(b) To the birthing stone.
(c) To the elder.
(d) To her hogan for sleep.
9. What branch of the military did Jimmie go into?
(a) Air Force.
10. Why is Chato permitted in the bars?
(a) Because he is kind.
(b) Because he has a running tab.
(c) Because he speaks Spanish like one of them.
(d) Because he is a regular.
11. According to Ayah, what makes the government worker frightened?
(a) The foreign items and Navajo language being spoken.
(b) The rural landscape on the reservation.
(c) Chato's scarred hands.
(d) Ayah's anger.
12. According to Ayah's memory, what would have happened to her if she entered the bar years ago?
(a) She would have been served without a problem.
(b) She would have been arrested.
(c) She would have had to enter through a backdoor.
(d) They would have thrown her out.
13. The last time Ayah met with her children, how did Ella stare at her?
(a) Like the men in the bar do.
(b) With love.
(c) With hope.
(d) With anger.
14. Who came to Ayah's house to discuss news about Jimmie?
(a) A Navajo man with a government worker.
(b) A uniformed man dressed in a khaki uniform.
(d) A medicine man.
15. After a time, Ayah realized that she could no longer do what with her two remaining children?
(a) See them.
(b) Speak Navajo with them.
(c) Hug them.
(d) Visit them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jimmie's Navajo name mean?
2. What color was the item Jimmie sent to Ayah?
3. What is Jimmie's birth order?
4. When Ayah enters the bar, what do the men do to her?
5. What does Ayah believe the people in the bar feel about her being in the bar?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)