• The story begins in the middle of winter with the main character, Ayah, standing outside in the snow, wrapped in her son's blanket.
• She is in Navajo country, reflecting on her life and losses.
• The blanket is significant as it once belongs to her now dead son.
• She remembers how she is once happy to learn English, but how that knowledge turns against her and she loses her two children.
• She remembers that when her son Jimmie is killed in World War II.
• It is another government white man who comes to tell her of her loss.
• Ayah reflects on how safe she feels as a little girl when she watches her mother weave blankets.
• She remembers how connected her people are to their environment.
• Ayah ponders what she loses as a Navajo Indian living and working on a white man's ranch.
• Ayah recalls the day Jimmie...
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)