|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jared's response to the elves request?
2. How does Helen think fresh air and exercise will help her children?
3. What does Mallory ask the elves?
4. What does Mallory take for their walk?
5. What do the children hear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the unicorn show the children and how do they react to the vision?
2. What did Mallory find that has them all excited and what do they find out about Arthur through her find?
3. What do the three beings who come through the trees look like?
4. What do the children do when they return from the barn?
5. What is Jared's response to the elves ravings and how does Lorengorm answer Jared?
6. Who is the first of the three beings to speak to the children and what does she say?
7. Why is Jared nervous, what does he ask the three and what is their response?
8. How does Helen react to Jared and Mallory fighting in Lucinda's room and what happens to Lucinda?
9. What does Jared order his siblings to do and how do they accomplish this?
10. What does the children's mother think about them taking a walk and what does each child take on the walk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As in many fantasy novels, magic is an inherent part of a few of the characters. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the use of magic in Lucinda's Secret. Who possesses magic as an inherent aspect of their nature? Who can wield magic through the use of a tool? What is the difference between the two types of magical usage? Is one more powerful than the other?
2. Why do you think magic exists in so many fantasy novels? Do you think a novel can be "fantasy" and there be no magic as a part of the storyline? Why or why not?
3. Which type of magic would you rather possess--that of Thimbletack's magic or the magic the elves wield? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Lucinda's Secret, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Jared is so mad at Mallory that he almost hits her and if not for Simon grabbing his arms he may have hurt his sister. His crying seems to be because he is angry and frustrated but also because he is afraid at how close he came to hitting his sister. Jared is frightened by the anger that sometimes seems to overwhelm him. He seems to have some problems controlling his emotions and temper that so many times he is not willing to listen to the people that he loves.
1. What are some better ways for Jared to deal with his anger at Mallory without violence? Use examples from Lucinda's Secret and your own life to support your answer.
2. Often times when someone is very angry they cry. What are some other ways that people express anger and how do you express anger? Is the way you express anger similar to Jared? Use examples from Lucinda's Secret and your own life to support your answer.
3. Do you think not listening to those people Jared loves causes his anger or is not listening a result of his anger? How might Jared have been helped if he would have listened to his sister? Do you think the fact that their father left might be some of the cause of Jared's anger? Why or why not? Use examples from Lucinda's Secret and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)