|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the children hear?
2. What does Mallory do when they hear the creature(s) talking?
3. What does Mallory ask the elves?
4. Where do the children tell the elves the Field Guide is?
5. What does Jared instruct his siblings to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Helen react to Jared and Mallory fighting in Lucinda's room and what happens to Lucinda?
2. What does the children's mother think about them taking a walk and what does each child take on the walk?
3. What did Mallory find that has them all excited and what do they find out about Arthur through her find?
4. What does Simon suggest about Mallory's find and what is her response?
5. What do the three beings who come through the trees look like?
6. What does Simon say to Jared about the guide?
7. What do the children do when they return from the barn?
8. What is Jared's response to the elves ravings and how does Lorengorm answer Jared?
9. What happens with the children when they walk up the hill?
10. What does Jared order his siblings to do and how do they accomplish this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Following the path of their Uncle frustrates Jared when Simon refuses to explain why he appears to be backtracking on the path. Mallory continues to follow without question and when Jared finally tries to ask Simon where they are going, Simon snaps at Jared. While Simon is under a spell, his angry words show that he is sometimes resentful of Jared's need to be in charge all the time and somewhat jealous of Jared who seems to always be able to find a solution to a problem.
1. Why do you think Simon ignoring Jared was frustrating to Jared? Do you think most people become frustrated when they are ignored? Why or why not? Use examples from Lucinda's Secret and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think Simon was ignoring Jared because of a spell or did the spell simply cause him to do what he would like to do when he is himself? Do you think Simon resents Jared always trying to be in charge of a situation? Why or why not? Use examples from Lucinda's Secret and your own life to support your answer.
3. If you were under a spell and could say or do anything you want to one of your siblings or good friends, using the spell as an excuse so they wouldn't blame you, what would you do? Why would you do it?
Essay Topic 2
Before they get out of the car, Jared wonders if anyone every visits Aunt Lucinda and speculates that they are the first visitors in a long time. Their Mom gets instantly angry, which seems slightly defensive on her part as if she feels guilty about not visiting and feels badly about how the family is treating Lucinda. Mallory asks if Grandma visits, which she does but only infrequently. At one point they were so close but she does not know how to deal with Lucinda's condition.
1. Do you think Helen Grace is angry because she feels guilty? Why or why not? Use examples from Lucinda's Secret and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think Lucinda should be in the asylum? Why or why not? Use examples from Lucinda's Secret and your own life to support your answer.
3. What do you think are some better ways than anger to deal with guilt? Use examples from your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Lucinda's Secret based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Lucinda's Secret is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that Lucinda's Secret is part of a series changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)