|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jared's response to the elves request?
2. What is ahead of the children on the path?
3. What does Jared point out about the faeries and the book?
4. Who had left the book?
5. Where are the children walking?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the three beings who come through the trees look like?
2. What do the children do when they return from the barn?
3. How does Mallory feel about the guide being gone and what does Jared say to her about it?
4. What does Jared order his siblings to do and how do they accomplish this?
5. What does Simon say to Jared about the guide?
6. What does Mallory ask Simon about what he brings on the walk and what is his response?
7. What do they ask the rabbit-monkey creature they see and what does he answer? What does Jared decide about him? What does he say when they ask about Arthur?
8. How do the children find out where the guide is and what do they do about it?
9. What begins to make the children nervous and what happens as they reach a meadow?
10. How does Mallory feel about the conversation with the rabbit-monkey creature and what does Simon ask it? What is the creature's response to Simon's question?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Lucinda's Secret based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Lucinda's Secret is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that Lucinda's Secret is part of a series changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Before they get out of the car, Jared wonders if anyone every visits Aunt Lucinda and speculates that they are the first visitors in a long time. Their Mom gets instantly angry, which seems slightly defensive on her part as if she feels guilty about not visiting and feels badly about how the family is treating Lucinda. Mallory asks if Grandma visits, which she does but only infrequently. At one point they were so close but she does not know how to deal with Lucinda's condition.
1. Do you think Helen Grace is angry because she feels guilty? Why or why not? Use examples from Lucinda's Secret and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think Lucinda should be in the asylum? Why or why not? Use examples from Lucinda's Secret and your own life to support your answer.
3. What do you think are some better ways than anger to deal with guilt? Use examples from your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Mallory to Jared. How are they alike? How are they different? Do you think their differences are mainly due to their gender differences?
2. Compare/contrast Jared to Simon. How are they alike? How are they different? How do their "world views" differ? Who is the better leader/ruler? Under which one would you rather live?
3. Compare/contrast Simon to Mallory. How are they alike? How are they different? Who is more likable? Approachable? Compassionate? Intellectual?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)