|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jared ask about the goblins?
2. What surprise the talking animal?
3. What is ahead of the children on the path?
4. Who drew the sketch of their dad that Simon finds?
5. What color of skin do two of the creatures have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the elves say about humans and the field guide when they get angry?
2. What do they ask the rabbit-monkey creature they see and what does he answer? What does Jared decide about him? What does he say when they ask about Arthur?
3. How does Helen react to Jared and Mallory fighting in Lucinda's room and what happens to Lucinda?
4. What does Mallory ask Simon about what he brings on the walk and what is his response?
5. What confuses Jared about the walk and what does he remember from the Field Guide?
6. What is Jared's response to the elves ravings and how does Lorengorm answer Jared?
7. What does Mallory say to Jared when they arrive home and how does he respond?
8. What does Simon say to Jared about the guide?
9. What do the children do when they return from the barn?
10. What happens with the children when they walk up the hill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Lucinda's Secret.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Lucinda's Secret is the third book in a series, called the Spiderwick series. Discuss the following.
1. Discuss two advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters and having the plot continue from one book to the next. Use examples.
2. Discuss two disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters and having the plot continue from one book to the next. Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or books in a series with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Mallory to Jared. How are they alike? How are they different? Do you think their differences are mainly due to their gender differences?
2. Compare/contrast Jared to Simon. How are they alike? How are they different? How do their "world views" differ? Who is the better leader/ruler? Under which one would you rather live?
3. Compare/contrast Simon to Mallory. How are they alike? How are they different? Who is more likable? Approachable? Compassionate? Intellectual?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)