|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Rick heard?
2. What does George think should be done with the remaining brotherhood who are prisoners?
3. Where does Harvey find his son?
4. Whose home will Harvey's group be passing?
5. Where does Harry think the New Brotherhood Army will go next?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jackie say is ironic about the situation of the blacks since the comet strike?
2. What convinces Jellison to admit Harvey and his group to the ranch and what is the implication?
3. What does it seem the general philosophy of life is now for most people?
4. What does Al tell Harvey about Maureen?
5. What does Harvey do and how do his tactics work on delaying the Brotherhood?
6. What does Beck say about the New Brotherhood Army?
7. What decision does Jellison make about Bonar and do you agree with his decision?
8. How does Harvey help Maureen resolve her inner conflict?
9. What does one man who is scavenging with Deke say people are going to have to get used to, and do you think he is right?
10. What does Tim suggest about the power plant and what is the ultimate decision?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Tim is trying to get out of the city, he grabs an abandoned tape recorder and microphone and shoves it into an armed man's face, asking questions. Discuss one of the following:
Obviously Tim thinks quickly on his feet. This might be called an instance of "survival of the fittest." Discuss this concept as it appears through the entire book.
For some, survival has included cannibalism. Discuss the moral implications of cannibalism as a means of survival. Use examples from the book and real life (think of Donner Pass and the plane crash in the Andies).
Should the concept of "survival of the fittest" be the guiding principle in such a situation as that in Lucifer's Hammer?
Essay Topic 2
The concern that the comet could hit Earth is becoming an epidemic. Many fear that it will create an end-of-the-world scenario, despite what the experts are saying. Discuss the following:
What would you believe were you part of an earth that was in the same situation as in the book?
Would you take precautions to prepare for a disaster? What would they be?
How often have you heard a dire prediction about the earth? Do you believe any of the predictions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When Harvey comes home just after the comet begins striking the earth, he finds his wife and dog murdered and his house ransacked with the supplies he had carefully laid up for disaster stolen. He lies down and starts to go to sleep. Discuss the following:
Why do you think Harvey just lies down and goes to sleep?
What do you think would have happened had Joanne and Mark not arrived?
Why do you think some people react to survive in a crisis and others just give up and resign themselves to death?
This section contains 1,443 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)