|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eileen do to give them a better driving experience?
2. When Tim comes up from under the water, what does he see?
3. What does Deke figure out about Alim's group?
4. Who joins the men to go save the power plant?
5. Who is Deke expecting to attack his farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What convinces Jellison to admit Harvey and his group to the ranch and what is the implication?
2. What is the difficult part about guard duty at the Jellison stronghold?
3. Discuss Maureen's conversation with the Reverend Varley and her response to it.
4. How does Harvey convince Al that he is a valuable addition to the needs of the people in this area?
5. What are a couple cultural changes that have happened with the comet strike?
6. What are some people resorting to as they try to survive and what do you think of the idea?
7. What does Harvey do and how do his tactics work on delaying the Brotherhood?
8. What does Tim suggest about the power plant and what is the ultimate decision?
9. How does Harvey help Maureen resolve her inner conflict?
10. How does Tim and his group get admitted to the ranch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In an underground concrete bunker somewhere in the northeastern United States, Major Bennet Rosten and Captain Harold Luce are waiting commands. The US fears that the Russians will believe the US "blind and crippled" by the comet event, using that as a time to strike. Discuss the following:
Is it realistic to think that in the middle of a terrible, global crisis that the Russians would launch nuclear warheads at another country? Why or why not?
Why do you think China makes a preemptive strike against Russian when all countries may have to cooperate to overcome total global annihilation from the effects of the comet?
Would you authorize nuclear weapon attacks during such a crisis? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Harry Newcombe, the mail carrier, decides to continue delivering his mail despite all that has occurred. Additionally, he self-appoints his role as message carrier to the area around the Jellison ranch. Discuss the following:
How does Harry's role provide some comic relief to the intensity of so much else that is happening?
Do you think Harry as a self-proclaimed messenger has an important role in the book? Why or why not.
Does Harry maintaining his mail schedule help to calm others? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When Harvey comes home just after the comet begins striking the earth, he finds his wife and dog murdered and his house ransacked with the supplies he had carefully laid up for disaster stolen. He lies down and starts to go to sleep. Discuss the following:
Why do you think Harvey just lies down and goes to sleep?
What do you think would have happened had Joanne and Mark not arrived?
Why do you think some people react to survive in a crisis and others just give up and resign themselves to death?
This section contains 1,516 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)