|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are there girls at the camp?
2. What is the group comprised of who is assigned to help Harvey?
3. What does George think should be done with the remaining brotherhood who are prisoners?
4. Over what are fights erupting in Alim's group?
5. What are Tim and Eileen sitting out while they eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maureen struggle with when she is out inventorying supplies in the area?
2. How does Tim and his group get admitted to the ranch?
3. What does Beck say about the New Brotherhood Army?
4. What does Harvey do and how do his tactics work on delaying the Brotherhood?
5. What idea does Dan Forrester have to stop the New Brotherhood Army and does it seem plausible?
6. How does the Reverend Armitage contribute to the unsavory things Alim and Hooker's group are already doing?
7. Discuss Maureen's conversation with the Reverend Varley and her response to it.
8. What are some people resorting to as they try to survive and what do you think of the idea?
9. What are Maureen's thoughts about the prisoners from the Brotherhood and do you agree with her?
10. How does Harvey convince Al that he is a valuable addition to the needs of the people in this area?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fred Lauren murders a woman named Coleen because he believes the end of the world is imminent and thus he no longer fears the threat of punishment by giving in to his insane urges. Discuss the following:
How strongly do you think that doomsday predictions influence those who are mentally unstable already? Give examples from the book and your personal knowledge. (Think about Y2K, Jonestown, etc.).
Do you think you would ever believe a doomsday prediction such as a comet hitting the earth? Why or why not?
Do you believe those who preach such messages should be held accountable for their actions if people who hear them do such things as Fred Lauren does? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
When Harvey comes home just after the comet begins striking the earth, he finds his wife and dog murdered and his house ransacked with the supplies he had carefully laid up for disaster stolen. He lies down and starts to go to sleep. Discuss the following:
Why do you think Harvey just lies down and goes to sleep?
What do you think would have happened had Joanne and Mark not arrived?
Why do you think some people react to survive in a crisis and others just give up and resign themselves to death?
Essay Topic 3
While Tim and Eileen are going through a rather intense experience of escaping to the Jellison ranch, they are stopped for a while at a collapsed bridge. Despite their situation and the emotional trauma, Tim wants to make love. Discuss the following:
Why is it about humans that they can adapt to the most horrific situations and in the midst of such carry on such mundane tasks as eating, making love, or even play (especially children)?
Do you think Tim is unusual in his ability to put aside all the stress of the moment and just do something that is "normal"?
Is it a sign of health or mental disease that Tim (or anyone) can momentarily block out the external circumstances and do something that is not required at the moment for survival--something that for the most part is intended to provide pleasure?
This section contains 1,500 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)