|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Harry's truck?
2. Why does Harry think the stronghold will want Dan Forrester?
3. What does Tim do?
4. Whose home will Harvey's group be passing?
5. What does Hugo Beck say Armitage is preaching?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Maureen's conversation with the Reverend Varley and her response to it.
2. What does Beck say about the New Brotherhood Army?
3. How does Tim and his group get admitted to the ranch?
4. What does Tim suggest about the power plant and what is the ultimate decision?
5. What does Al tell Harvey about Maureen?
6. What does Harvey do and how do his tactics work on delaying the Brotherhood?
7. What does one man who is scavenging with Deke say people are going to have to get used to, and do you think he is right?
8. How does Harvey help Maureen resolve her inner conflict?
9. What does Maureen struggle with when she is out inventorying supplies in the area?
10. Why is Harvey designate to create obstacles for the New Brotherhood Army and what does he call himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harry Newcombe, the mail carrier, decides to continue delivering his mail despite all that has occurred. Additionally, he self-appoints his role as message carrier to the area around the Jellison ranch. Discuss the following:
How does Harry's role provide some comic relief to the intensity of so much else that is happening?
Do you think Harry as a self-proclaimed messenger has an important role in the book? Why or why not.
Does Harry maintaining his mail schedule help to calm others? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Gordie and the Boy Scouts rescue some girl scouts from bikers who are abusing the girls. The boys and girls then pair off and create a new community. Discuss the following:
Assuming these boys and girls range in ages from 13-16, do you think it is responsible of Gordie as an adult to allow and/or even encourage the arrangement between the girls and boys?
Are these young people old enough to make the decision to not return with Harvey? Explain.
If you were a girl that was rescued, would you be willing to participate in the pairing off and all that implies? Why or why not?
What do you think the group would do to any boy or girl or refuses to pair off? Explain.
Is it moral for an adult to pair off with a sixteen year old girl, especially considering he has a wife already?
Essay Topic 3
In Fourth Week: The Prophet, Jackie who says the blacks have gotten what they always wanted; city hall is gone and there's no more rule to keep the blacks down. The problem now is that there aren't enough blacks to hold onto even a small piece of land in order to live. Discuss one of the following:
How are blacks portrayed in Lucifer's Hammer and are they portrayed stereotypically?
If this book were written in 2010, would black be portrayed differently? Would they be any of the "good" guys?
What ways could help things to not be divided by race and class if something like this were to happen in 2010? Use examples from the book and show how they might be treated differently.
This section contains 1,546 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)