|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Hammerlab realize the morning the comet is to arrive?
(a) The comet's trajectory is nearer the Earth than anyone had thus far predicted.
(b) That the comet is smaller than thought.
(c) That the comet is twice the size they originally believed.
(d) The comet is missing earth by a couple light years.
2. Where are Major Bennet Rosten and Captain Harold Luce waiting commands.
(a) In SAC headquarters.
(b) In a bunker in Wyoming.
(c) In a bunker somewhere in the Northeast.
(d) In a bunker near Washington, D.C.
3. Where is Eileen Hancock?
(a) At Yosemite.
(b) Stuck in traffic.
(c) At home ill.
(d) In a Hollywood studio.
4. How do Tim and Eileen manage to get away from the city?
(a) By hitching a ride with Eric.
(b) By pretending to be reporters.
(c) By comandeering a helicopter.
(d) By hijacking a car from a teen.
5. What does Harry Newcombe have once a week?
(a) A drink in honor of his deceased wife.
(b) A day hiking in the hills near his home.
(c) Trash day.
(d) A day at a health spa.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is among the officers who cuts the chains to arrest the white-robed fanatics.
2. What does Tim advise the ranger?
3. How do Jason and Harry celebrate the announcement?
4. After the red alert, who joins Rosten and Luce in the bunker?
5. Where is Harry when an earthquake hits?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harvey wonder about where Marie might be?
2. What policy does Jellison and his cohorts decide upon and do you agree with them?
3. What is Harvey's reaction to what he finds and do you understand his reaction?
4. Define the literary term "comic relief" and give an example of it from this section.
5. What do Tim and Eileen do after leaving the observatory and what is your analysis of their actions?
6. What is one repercussion of the "gloom and doom" message preached by Henry Armitage and others?
7. How do Tim and Eileen use a clever ruse to make their way through the hysterical crowds?
8. What advice does Tim give the ranger?
9. Most of the major characters are introduced in these first dozen or so chapters and much of what is written is about the protagonist(s), antagonist(s) and secondary characters. Define those three terms.
10. Who finds Harvey and what do they do?
This section contains 1,294 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)