|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Senator Jellison hear while monitoring the astronauts' radio?
(a) That the comet is going to hit the Earth.
(b) That the comet has slowed down.
(c) That the comet is going to barely nick Earth.
(d) That the President has been killed.
2. Why does Frank lay the motorcycles down?
(a) To do an oil change.
(b) To work on the chains.
(c) To drain the gas out of the tanks completely.
(d) So they won't fall over in a quake.
3. What is no longer considered any good?
(b) The law.
(c) The water.
4. What is Delores expecting?
(a) A promotion.
(b) A raise.
(c) A visit from her parents.
(d) A baby.
5. Where does Harvey say his son Andy can go?
(a) To visit his grandmother in Wyoming.
(b) To a rock concert in San Jose.
(c) To the beach surfing.
(d) Hiking with the Boy Scouts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tim notice about his family?
2. What does Harry do when he cannot get past the cracks in the road?
3. What does Marie make them do?
4. What is Tim Hamner hosting at his home?
5. Who arrives as Harvey is almost asleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Identify who you think are the protagonist(s), antagonist(s) and two or three secondary characters and why.
2. What happens to Norm Lilly that demonstrates the continued deterioration of law and order?
3. Do you think Harry is a little crazy for continuing his pursuit to deliver the mail?
4. Why is the rain that is falling salty?
5. What do Tim and Eileen find when they arrive at Tujunga and what is the implication?
6. What is one repercussion of the "gloom and doom" message preached by Henry Armitage and others?
7. Define the literary term "comic relief" and give an example of it from this section.
8. What do Tim and Eileen do after leaving the observatory and what is your analysis of their actions?
9. What is Harvey's reaction to what he finds and do you understand his reaction?
10. Discuss how carefully Gordie plans his suicide.
This section contains 1,276 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)