|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Sinanians die?
(a) The wife of natural causes and the husband of suicide.
(b) They survive the comet hit on their home and are alive.
(c) A comet lands squarely on their house.
(d) A motorcycle gang.
2. Why does Tim decline to go with the Ranger?
(a) He wants to get to Oklahoma.
(b) Tim says it's easier for small groups to feed themselves.
(c) He thinks the ranger has enough to worry about already.
(d) He and Eileen want to meet up with Harvey and his group.
3. What do Eric Larsen and his partner, Investigator Harris, come upon?
(a) A murder in progress.
(b) Two young boys abandoned by their parents.
(c) A church service already prayng about the coming disaster.
(d) A group of comet fanatics.
4. What does Fred say on his way to jail?
(a) That he's not worried because the Earth will be destroyed by the comet.
(b) That God told him to do it.
(c) That he is sorry.
5. What does Harvey do?
(a) Calls his wife on the cell phone.
(b) Lies on the bed.
(c) Goes to the neighbor's house.
(d) Leaves in his travel all.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who meets Tim and Eileen at the observatory?
2. What is Tim Hamner hosting at his home?
3. Who is driving the travel all as they leave Harvey's house?
4. What are Alim Nassor and his brother, Harold Davis, doing?
5. How does Harry leave Carrie Roman's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Frank, Mark and Joanne in the desert?
2. Define the literary term "comic relief" and give an example of it from this section.
3. Most of the major characters are introduced in these first dozen or so chapters and much of what is written is about the protagonist(s), antagonist(s) and secondary characters. Define those three terms.
4. Discuss how carefully Gordie plans his suicide.
5. What is Harvey's reaction to what he finds and do you understand his reaction?
6. How do the astronauts decide to land in California?
7. How is the comet likened to a hot fudge sundae and what is the consequence of that analogy?
8. Identify who you think are the protagonist(s), antagonist(s) and two or three secondary characters and why.
9. How do Tim and Eileen use a clever ruse to make their way through the hysterical crowds?
10. What makes Gordie decide not to commit suicide?
This section contains 1,430 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)