|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Americans need to be reminded that their history did not begin in what year?
2. In Chicana culture, men are considered to be __________________.
3. According to Moraga, the abstractness of academia has a/an _______________ effect.
4. According to Moraga, art is ____________.
5. To what does the feminist movement neglect to pay attention?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Moraga's thoughts regarding post-modernism's use of jargon leading to a marginalization of topics?
2. According to Moraga, what is the university system only interested in producing?
3. In "Out of Our Revolutionary Minds Toward a Pedagogy of Revolt," why does Moraga state that the educational system in America is flawed?
4. What example of writer Gloria Anzaldua's work does Moraga use to point out that academia gets lost in obsessions with complex theory?
5. What does Moraga say was one of the defining characteristics of the Civil Rights movement and why does that factor improve chances for success for any movement?
6. Explain one of the myths of lesbian sexuality regarding penetration and how Moraga's own experiences go against it.
7. Why does Moraga believe it is vital for artists to continue to create art that reflects their own cultural identities?
8. What does Moraga think might be the deep, real reason that women kill their children?
9. Why does Moraga say she originally assumed the role of chingon in sexual relations with women?
10. According to Moraga, how can the feminist movement be considered racist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
LOVING IN THE WAR YEARS is a classic story of the search to find your true identity and the struggle to preserve it. What does that classification entail? Why does Moraga's work in this book fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Moraga. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Moraga?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the taboo of homosexuality in the 1980s. Compare and contrast homosexuality in America during the 1980s to homosexuality in America today. What major changes have occurred since then, including both positive and negative?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)