|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were the woman the lesbian who killed the woman's children reacting against motherhood as such?
2. A Chicana mother's adoration of her sons is an unconscious attempt to turn them into _______________________.
3. According to Moraga, the university system in America is interested only in producing ____________________.
4. Moraga reasons that the woman and the lesbian who killed the woman's children were reacting against ___________.
5. Americans need to be reminded that their history did not begin in what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Malinche and why to Mexicans despise her?
2. Why are sexually liberated women, and to a greater degree, lesbians, denigrated in Chicano society?
3. What example of writer Gloria Anzaldua's work does Moraga use to point out that academia gets lost in obsessions with complex theory?
4. What does Moraga say was one of the defining characteristics of the Civil Rights movement and why does that factor improve chances for success for any movement?
5. In "Canto Florido" to what does Moraga compare words that are never spoken?
6. Who is La Mujer Llorena and what is her story?
7. According to Moraga, how can the feminist movement be considered racist?
8. In "Out of Our Revolutionary Minds Toward a Pedagogy of Revolt," why does Moraga state that the educational system in America is flawed?
9. Why is sexism an even more complex subject than racism?
10. What did Moraga learn about sexism from being raised a Chicana woman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of the search for love. Identify at least two themes about love in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of gays and lesbians in the 1980s. What precedents were they forced to follow? What restrictions doidthey have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century gays and lesbians do not have?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this novel. Describe how it extends through setting, character and issues and provide examples for each.
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)