|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Moraga, whose language is the oppressor in American society?
2. According to Moraga, America is a country in which people are so easily _______________.
3. Moraga found that when she first started having sex with women she was assuming the role of ______________.
4. According to Moraga, schools are controlled by the government which has no interest in informing students about a heritage which might conflict with mythologies about ______________ glorious history.
5. La Mujer Llorena is sentenced to spend eternity looking for ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is La Mujer Llorena and what is her story?
2. What example of writer Gloria Anzaldua's work does Moraga use to point out that academia gets lost in obsessions with complex theory?
3. Does Moraga think it will be easy to stop the loss of cultures in schools?
4. Why are sexually liberated women, and to a greater degree, lesbians, denigrated in Chicano society?
5. What is the distinction made between two partners in any sexual act as defined by Octavio Paz in "A Long Line of Vendidas"?
6. According to Moraga, how can the feminist movement be considered racist?
7. What are the circumstances that make the myth of La Mujer Llorena come alive for Moraga?
8. Explain one of the myths of lesbian sexuality regarding penetration and how Moraga's own experiences go against it.
9. According to Moraga, what can repression lead to in almost every Chicana's life?
10. What are Moraga's thoughts regarding post-modernism's use of jargon leading to a marginalization of topics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name at least two forms of oppression that Moraga defines in her essays and then describe each of them as Moraga has described them. Then define them as you see them. What differences are there in the two views?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Moraga. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Moraga?
Essay Topic 3
In what way does Moraga say the feminist movement could benefit from studying the Civil Rights movement of the 1960s? What is missing from the feminist movement that was central to the Civil Rights movement? Why would the feminist movement be more successful if it would adopt this aspect of the Civil Rights movement?
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)