|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Moraga say cannot be dealt with from a purely theoretical perspective?
2. In "The Voices of the Fallers," falling is compared to the experience of _________________.
3. What was Moraga's feeling when she left her church?
4. In "Salvation, Jesus, and Suffer" where is Moraga working?
5. What does Cecilia notice about Joyce when she sees her again after having separated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the main themes in this section of poems?
2. In "Heading East" what imagery does Moraga use to illustrate how male-dominated society tries to marginalize women?
3. In "La Guera" when does Moraga say that she began to understand oppression in the world?
4. What role did the Catholic Church play in Moraga's acceptance of her lesbianism?
5. What is the dominant theme in this set of poems?
6. Why is writing in both English and Spanish a form of rebellion for Moraga?
7. Why does Moraga say it is important for any activist to realize that oppression is not just exterior and how is the women's movement a subtle form of racism?
8. What does being part of a movement mean for Moraga?
9. What aspect of her life does Moraga discuss in the introduction?
10. In what situation do Moraga and another woman not need the help of men in "Modern-Day Hero?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Moraga is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony and then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the book related to culture and lesbianism. Identify at least two themes in the poems and essays and then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would Hispanics have lonely lives in America? What do you think about lesbians? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)