|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Cecilia and Deborah leave their apartment?
2. From which woman did all the women in Moraga's family want approval?
3. In what way does Moraga say she can be racist?
4. Moraga blames her mother's ______________________ with making her a poor lover.
5. Who is the narrator's lover in "You Upset the Whole System of This Place?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Moraga trying to say when she presents lesbians as masculine?
2. Why is writing in both English and Spanish a form of rebellion for Moraga?
3. What important lesson does Moraga learn about oppression and marginalization when it hits close to home?
4. To what does Moraga compare being a lesbian in "Loving in the War Years?"
5. What imagery of women does Moraga use in "For the Color of My Mother"?
6. What is Moraga's message in "An Open Invitation to a Meal?"
7. What is the dominant theme in this set of poems?
8. Why does Moraga's mother ask her to speak to Moraga's father in "My Sister, Who Must Be Protected"?
9. What does being part of a movement mean for Moraga?
10. What example does Moraga give about how she, herself, is guilty of oppressive behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this novel. Describe how it extends through setting, character and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 2
Moraga claims that leaving the Catholic Church was a sad, but necessary, step in her evolution into being an authentic person. What did Moraga's Catholicism mean to her? Why did she feel she needed to step away from Catholicism to become who she truly is?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of evolving as an authentic person is an important one in the work in this book. Cite two examples of how Moraga uses this theme in either a poem or an essay.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)