|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What images does Moraga talk about in "Winter of Oppression, 1982?"
2. What does a crazy woman do in the restaurant where Moraga is working?
3. In "Fear, a Love Poem" what does the narrator say has been hard for her?
4. In "It's the Poverty," Moraga uses the imagery of ______________ to defend her outmoded form of communication.
5. In "Passage" Moraga speaks about how her _____________ has never been hers to do with as she pleases.
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Winter of Oppression, 1982" Moraga recalls seeing horrifying images of the Holocaust but why is Moraga even more shocked to see pictures of black lynchings?
2. To what does Moraga compare the sensation of falling in "The Voices of the Fallers?"
3. In "Hearts" to what war is Moraga referring when she talks about a war no one really knew about?
4. In "Heading East" what imagery does Moraga use to illustrate how male-dominated society tries to marginalize women?
5. To what does Moraga compare being a lesbian in "Loving in the War Years?"
6. How did leaving the Church impact Moraga?
7. What is Moraga's message in "An Open Invitation to a Meal?"
8. How does Moraga use the metaphor of a phantom limb to describe repressed sexuality in "You Call It, 'Amputation'"?
9. In "La Guera" when does Moraga say that she began to understand oppression in the world?
10. What imagery of women does Moraga use in "For the Color of My Mother"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define Octavio Paz' distinction between a chingon and a chingada. Which of these roles had Moraga adopted when she first started having sex with women? Why does Moraga say she adopted the position she did? What were the influences on her.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the taboo of homosexuality in the 1980s. Compare and contrast homosexuality in America during the 1980s to homosexuality in America today. What major changes have occurred since then, including both positive and negative?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would Hispanics have lonely lives in America? What do you think about lesbians? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)