|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Moraga compare her relationship with a male soldier in "The War Bride?"
2. Why is sex with her girlfriend better than sex with the male soldier?
3. In "Salvation, Jesus, and Suffer" where is Moraga working?
4. What comes with admitting your sexual preferences?
5. Why did Catholicism make Moraga miserable?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Heading East" what imagery does Moraga use to illustrate how male-dominated society tries to marginalize women?
2. What does a girl named Cecilia learn in "Later, She Met Joyce?"
3. What important lesson does Moraga learn about oppression and marginalization when it hits close to home?
4. In "La Guera" when does Moraga say that she began to understand oppression in the world?
5. How does Moraga compare herself to her lover's dead brother in "No Born-Again Children?"
6. What imagery with weapons does Moraga give men in "Anatomy Lesson?"
7. How does Moraga use the metaphor of a phantom limb to describe repressed sexuality in "You Call It, 'Amputation'"?
8. What role did the Catholic Church play in Moraga's acceptance of her lesbianism?
9. What example does Moraga give about how she, herself, is guilty of oppressive behavior?
10. What imagery of women does Moraga use in "For the Color of My Mother"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define Octavio Paz' distinction between a chingon and a chingada. Which of these roles had Moraga adopted when she first started having sex with women? Why does Moraga say she adopted the position she did? What were the influences on her.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title "LOVING IN THE WAR YEARS." Why did Moraga choose this title? Is there an implied message in the title? Is there another title you can suggest that might be more appropriate?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would Hispanics have lonely lives in America? What do you think about lesbians? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)