|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Cecilia's lover?
2. To what does Moraga compare her relationship with a male soldier in "The War Bride?"
3. What comes with admitting your sexual preferences?
4. Why did Catholicism make Moraga miserable?
5. Moraga feels that she places herself at the mercy of ______________ which hates and persecutes homosexuals.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Moraga say it is important for any activist to realize that oppression is not just exterior and how is the women's movement a subtle form of racism?
2. What example does Moraga give about how she, herself, is guilty of oppressive behavior?
3. Why does Moraga's mother ask her to speak to Moraga's father in "My Sister, Who Must Be Protected"?
4. What is Moraga trying to say when she presents lesbians as masculine?
5. How did leaving the Church impact Moraga?
6. What is the dominant theme in this set of poems?
7. What aspect of her life does Moraga discuss in the introduction?
8. In "Winter of Oppression, 1982" Moraga recalls seeing horrifying images of the Holocaust but why is Moraga even more shocked to see pictures of black lynchings?
9. What pressure did Moraga's family put on her and what did she learn about docile obedience?
10. In "What Does it Take" what does the death of gay activist Harvey Milk prompt Moraga to wonder about the attention that men get?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Moraga. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Moraga?
Essay Topic 2
Oppression seems to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is oppression according to Moraga? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Moraga's anger in her poetry. Is it obvious or subtle? What about Moraga's essays? Does she even try to disguise her anger? What does she hope to accomplish by making her anger public?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)