|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Moraga say can live inside even the most liberal-minded person?
(b) All of these.
2. Where does Moraga see the oppressor?
(b) In social services.
(c) In politics.
(d) In church.
3. What imagery does Moraga use in "Heading East" to compare how male-dominated society tries to marginalize women?
(a) A car with a hole in one of its pipes.
(b) A retail store.
(c) A factory line.
(d) A pressure cooker.
4. What does Cecilia notice about Joyce when she sees her again after having separated?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She is limping.
(c) She has red hair.
(d) She is blind.
5. What images does Moraga talk about in "Winter of Oppression, 1982?"
(a) The My Lai Massacre.
(b) The Holocaust.
(c) The bombing of Hiroshima.
(d) The September 11 attacks.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which of the following oppressed groups does Moraga refer in "Hearts?"
2. What is one of the main themes in this section of poems?
3. In what way does Moraga say she can be racist?
4. In "The Voices of the Fallers," falling is compared to the experience of _________________.
5. Why does Moraga refuse to give up her old typewriter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Moraga trying to say when she presents lesbians as masculine?
2. In "La Guera" when does Moraga say that she began to understand oppression in the world?
3. What is Moraga's message in "An Open Invitation to a Meal?"
4. In "Hearts" to what war is Moraga referring when she talks about a war no one really knew about?
5. What is one of the main themes in this section of poems?
6. What role did the Catholic Church play in Moraga's acceptance of her lesbianism?
7. Why is writing in both English and Spanish a form of rebellion for Moraga?
8. What does a girl named Cecilia learn in "Later, She Met Joyce?"
9. What pressure did Moraga's family put on her and what did she learn about docile obedience?
10. Why does Moraga's mother ask her to speak to Moraga's father in "My Sister, Who Must Be Protected"?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)