|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Moraga call the groveling before the family matriarch?
(b) Docile obedience.
(c) Necessary evil.
(d) Sign of respect.
2. To what does Moraga compare her relationship with a male soldier in "The War Bride?"
(a) Falling down steps.
(b) Her relationship with her new female lover.
(c) Going to the dentist.
(d) Failing a class.
3. What does Moraga contemplate in "Hearts?"
(a) How to live a happy life.
(b) How to make more money.
(c) How to recover from a war no one knew about.
(d) How to be a good lover.
4. What makes Cecilia and Deborah leave their apartment?
(a) The wood floors were being refinished.
(b) It was being fumigated.
(c) It was burglarized.
(d) It was being painted.
5. Why was Moraga shocked to see pictures of the lynching of black people?
(a) She never knew such things happened.
(b) Her father told her lynching stories were not true.
(c) She cannot imagine anyone doing such a cruel thing.
(d) Her education largely neglected the topic.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Fear, a Love Poem" what does the narrator say has been hard for her?
2. Why is sex with her girlfriend better than sex with the male soldier?
3. According to Moraga's mother, a good man ___________________.
4. How did Moraga feel within her church?
5. The rough girl tells the boys that she _____________ but they do not understand.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does a woman think about her knees in "The Pilgrimage?"
2. What example does Moraga give about how she, herself, is guilty of oppressive behavior?
3. What is one of the main themes in this section of poems?
4. Why is writing in both English and Spanish a form of rebellion for Moraga?
5. In "La Guera" when does Moraga say that she began to understand oppression in the world?
6. What does Moraga learn about her parents' relationship in "The Slow Dance"?
7. How did leaving the Church impact Moraga?
8. What imagery with weapons does Moraga give men in "Anatomy Lesson?"
9. What is Moraga trying to say when she presents lesbians as masculine?
10. To what does Moraga compare the sensation of falling in "The Voices of the Fallers?"
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)