|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Japanese check on a weekly basis?
2. How does the restaurant owner react when the boy comes for food in costume?
3. Why is he upset about his lunch?
4. What job is the boy given when his hands are bleeding and oozing?
5. Years later, what do they discover in the shrine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the students' living situation like?
2. What is the boy's condition when he arrives at his home?
3. Why does the grandmother insist on giving the boy white rice in his lunch?
4. What do the school children have to do when the boy is in his junior year?
5. Why does the father wear traditional Korean clothing and a black armband to go change his name?
6. Explain why there are so many rubber balls in town.
7. Why does the boy have to bring three logs to class, and how does it benefit him?
8. Why does the boy have an issue with his white rice?
9. How do the students get to interact with their families?
10. What decision does the boy have to make, and what does he tell the Japanese teacher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain in great detail why the Japanese were so interested in the boy's father. Explain why he was imprisoned and why he was interrogated. How did this make the Koreans feel about him?
Essay Topic 2
The scene where the boy dragged himself to the performance is emotional on several levels. Explain how his family supported him, how he made his protest, and how he reacted emotionally when he started saying his lines. Why do you think he reacted like that?
Essay Topic 3
Why was the Japanese teacher beating the boy? How did the boy's family react to the situation? How did his new friends react?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)