|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the other passengers react when the father is being questioned?
2. What do the father's papers say?
3. How does the grandmother feel about food?
4. What does the grandfather give the boy for the first time at dinner on his first day of school?
5. In what activity do the boys plan to participate during the afternoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why had the woman's father been sent to jail?
2. Explain why the boy says that the morning formation is like a military formation.
3. How does the boy feel about leaving Manchuria?
4. What is crossing the river like?
5. How does the father show his dedication to his wife?
6. What is significant about the maps in the classroom?
7. What is a "Special Volunteer Soldier"?
8. How do the people in the train cart treat the mother after the father is taken away?
9. Why does the boy pretend to be asleep when his mother wakes him up on Sundays?
10. How do the Japanese treat the Koreans according to the grandfather?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the conditions the students worked in when making the runways. Explain why they didn't just choose to leave school.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what role the boy had to perform in the school play and how he felt about it. How did the Koreans in the town feel about it? How did his family feel about it?
Essay Topic 3
What happened politically in August of 1939 that changed the map, and what did this signify? How did the teacher react to the change?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)