|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the boy's mother allow him to choose?
2. What does the father tell his friends to have?
3. Who is supposed to help the mother?
4. What language do the students have to speak after third grade?
5. What changes are going to happen in school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the mother show her dedication to her husband?
2. What job do the mother and father have?
3. Why does the boy pretend to be asleep when his mother wakes him up on Sundays?
4. What experience has the mother had with jail?
5. Why had the woman's father been sent to jail?
6. What happens to the boy's teacher?
7. What is crossing the river like?
8. How is this school different from the one he used to attending?
9. How do the Japanese treat the Koreans according to the grandfather?
10. What will happen to the tenant farmer when he gets a wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what happened to the boy when he showed the Japanese teacher the bag of rubber balls. Why did the teacher react the way he did. How was this tied in with the news the father shared with the Inspector?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the scene in the detention camp. What was the father concerned about, and how did he plan to deal with it? What actually happened?
Essay Topic 3
Describe what the Koreans were doing in the cemetery. How did the boy feel about the situation? How did his father feel about it?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)