|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bothers the boy as he looks around at his friends who are playing?
2. Why is the father weak?
3. What does the boy do when his mother tries to wake him up on Sundays?
4. Why does one of the teachers yell at the boy and shake him and hit him?
5. What is the view outside the classroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the people in the train cart treat the mother after the father is taken away?
2. Explain why the boy says that the morning formation is like a military formation.
3. How does the family show support for the boy when he goes off to school?
4. What kind of breakfast does the grandmother make for the family and why?
5. Why does the boy pretend to be asleep when his mother wakes him up on Sundays?
6. Why are the Japanese police harassing the father, and how does paperwork help him?
7. Why do they make the decision to walk across the frozen river?
8. The author states that they are leaving their homeland which is not a homeland. Why does he say this?
9. What occurs in the bookstore?
10. What is the morning assembly like at the school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the conditions the students worked in when making the runways. Explain why they didn't just choose to leave school.
Essay Topic 2
What was the boy expected to do on Sunday mornings that was different from what his parents had to do? What did he do that was different from the other students?
Essay Topic 3
Explain in great detail why the Japanese were so interested in the boy's father. Explain why he was imprisoned and why he was interrogated. How did this make the Koreans feel about him?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)