|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the boy in a hurry to get to Sunday school?
2. What time of day is it when the mother waits?
3. Who meets the mother after several hours?
4. What is going to happen to the missionaries in Manchuria?
5. What do the inquisitors accuse the father of doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do they make the decision to walk across the frozen river?
2. The author states that they are leaving their homeland which is not a homeland. Why does he say this?
3. What happens to the boy's teacher?
4. How does the father show his dedication to his wife?
5. How does the family show support for the boy when he goes off to school?
6. What events occur to make the first day of school end poorly?
7. How does the boy feel about leaving Manchuria?
8. Explain why the boy says that the morning formation is like a military formation.
9. What is the morning assembly like at the school?
10. What job do the mother and father have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the Japanese influence in the school. How did it affect the students' school day? How did it affect the boy personally?
Essay Topic 2
What was happening to the food supply of the Koreans? How did this affect the grandmother? How did the boy feel about it?
Essay Topic 3
Why was the Japanese teacher beating the boy? How did the boy's family react to the situation? How did his new friends react?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)