|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what is the boy accused?
(a) Being too obstinant.
(b) Disobedience and voicing dangerous thoughts.
(c) Being too smart.
(d) Being too sassy.
2. How does the teacher respond to the boy's message?
(a) He understands and signs the necessary paperwork.
(b) He refuses to talk with the boy.
(c) He strikes the boy.
(d) He laughs.
3. Who goes with the boy to get a new name?
(a) He goes alone.
(b) His sister.
(c) His grandmother.
(d) His father.
4. What are the students shoveling?
(a) They are digging graves.
(b) They are digging for landscaping around the school.
(c) They are working on a runway.
(d) They are digging to make a vegetable garden.
5. What does the boy do that surprises the audience at the play?
(a) He lashes out at the Japanese from stage.
(b) He shows up even though he has beenseverely beaten and can hardly stand.
(c) He protests the fact that someone is playing his part.
(d) He performs flawlessly.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the boy's visitor dressed?
2. What does the teacher do when he sees the boy's sack?
3. How does the boy's punishment affect the play?
4. What does the teacher in the sleeping quarters ask of the boy?
5. What job is the boy given when his hands are bleeding and oozing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the significance behind the name the father chooses - Iwamoto.
2. Why does the boy have to bring three logs to class, and how does it benefit him?
3. Why does the boy have an issue with his white rice?
4. What is the irony of the shrine that the children have to go to weekly?
5. Why does the grandmother insist on giving the boy white rice in his lunch?
6. How does the boy get to the performance? What is his journey like?
7. How do the students get to interact with their families?
8. How do the people in the town show the boy their support?
9. The boy is having trouble with his collection. What is his dilemma, and with what solution does his grandmother come up?
10. Why are the people pouring rice wine on the graves?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)