|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tip does the mother offer the boy regarding his ten minute speech?
(a) She reminds him that the speech is long and easy to forget.
(b) She reminds him to speak loudly.
(c) She reminds him to use hand motions to make the speech more interesting.
(d) She reminds him not to mumble.
2. Why does each class go to the shrine once a week?
(a) To worship their ancestors.
(b) To confess their wrongdoings.
(c) To pray for the Empire.
(d) To worship the Emperor.
3. What job is the boy given when his hands are bleeding and oozing?
(a) Water carrier.
(b) Gravel carrier.
(c) He is able to take the day off.
4. What do the Japanese check on a weekly basis?
(a) Food supplies.
(c) Household accounts.
(d) Class attendance.
5. For what does the teacher send the students home?
(a) A list of household members.
(b) They want to have a teacher's meeting.
(c) Rubber balls.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are all the children in the Empire given when Japanese troops occupy Singapore, Malaya, and Borneo?
2. How does the boy initially feel about his own stubbornness?
3. What do the classmates think of the teacher who lives with them?
4. Why doesn't the boy quit school?
5. For what does the teacher ask the students?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the students get to interact with their families?
2. What happens when the students have oozing blisters?
3. Why does the grandmother insist on giving the boy white rice in his lunch?
4. Why does the boy have to bring three logs to class, and how does it benefit him?
5. Explain the significance behind the name the father chooses - Iwamoto.
6. The boy is having trouble with his collection. What is his dilemma, and with what solution does his grandmother come up?
7. How does the teacher react to the boy's information?
8. How does the boy get to the performance? What is his journey like?
9. What is the irony of the shrine that the children have to go to weekly?
10. Explain why there are so many rubber balls in town.
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)