|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the father tell the mother the baby is doing as they cross the river?
(b) Gurgling happily.
2. What do the inquisitors accuse the father of doing?
(c) Stealing some important papers.
(d) Sneaking out of the country.
3. Where is the mother supposed to stay?
(a) In the station house.
(b) At the police headquarters.
(c) On the train.
(d) With some friends in the area.
4. What language do the students have to speak after third grade?
5. What do the adults do while the boy is looking through books and magazines?
(a) They have coffee together.
(b) They whisper about the war.
(c) They write political propoganda.
(d) They discuss books.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do they confront when they are near their destination?
2. Why is it upsetting when the train begins to move?
3. Who arrives during the special dinner on the first day of school?
4. How does the mother react when the train starts moving?
5. Where is the boy going with his father after church?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of breakfast does the grandmother make for the family and why?
2. How does the mother show her dedication to her husband?
3. How does the father show his dedication to his wife?
4. Explain why the boy says that the morning formation is like a military formation.
5. What is the morning assembly like at the school?
6. How does the boy respond when the poor children come up to him and ask him to go swimming with them?
7. How does the family travel to the town?
8. Why are the Japanese police harassing the father, and how does paperwork help him?
9. What kind of character does the teacher have?
10. Why does the boy pretend to be asleep when his mother wakes him up on Sundays?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)