|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the students if they don't bow toward the Japanese Emperor?
(a) They are beaten.
(c) They have to write an essay on the importance of respect.
(d) They have to go up on stage for a humiliating lecture.
2. How does the mother feel about her new situation?
(a) She is hesitant about whether or not it's the right choice.
(b) She is resigned to her fate.
(c) She is fearful.
(d) She is excited about it.
3. Who comes to visit the boy after school on the first day?
(b) The police.
(c) The boy who makes faces, on his own.
(d) 14 boys.
4. Why is the father leaving the country?
(a) He wants to learn about different cultures.
(b) He has been run out of his own hometown.
(c) He wants to start fresh.
(d) He is going to teach at a Christian school.
5. What happens to many who make the crossing?
(a) They drown.
(b) They become prisoners.
(c) They face starvation.
(d) They enjoy a new way of life.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps teach the boy to hunt?
2. What do the inquisitors accuse the father of doing?
3. What does the father tell the mother the baby is doing as they cross the river?
4. Where does the family live during the summer?
5. About whom is the boy thinking when he follows through with the tradition?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the boy respond when the poor children come up to him and ask him to go swimming with them?
2. What is crossing the river like?
3. Explain why the boy says that the morning formation is like a military formation.
4. How does the father show his dedication to his wife?
5. What is the morning assembly like at the school?
6. What experience has the mother had with jail?
7. How does the boy feel about leaving Manchuria?
8. What is significant about the maps in the classroom?
9. How is this school different from the one he used to attending?
10. What is a "Special Volunteer Soldier"?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)