|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the boy do when his mother tries to wake him up on Sundays?
(a) He tells her he's already up.
(b) He pretends he is asleep.
(c) He jumps out of bed.
(d) He sings a morning song.
2. What do they confront when they are near their destination?
(a) Cracks in the ice near the shoreline.
(b) Political protests.
(c) Mobs of people ready to send them back.
(d) Police barricades.
3. Where is the mother supposed to stay?
(a) On the train.
(b) With some friends in the area.
(c) At the police headquarters.
(d) In the station house.
4. What is happening to the Koreans all around?
(a) They are starting to become oppressed by the Japanese.
(b) They are starting to become a world trade power.
(c) They are beginning to realize the value of their culture.
(d) They are starting to become oppressed by the Russians.
5. What does the grandfather give the boy for the first time at dinner on his first day of school?
(a) A revolver.
(b) A journal.
(c) His own chopsticks.
(d) Rice wine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the teachers confront each other?
2. What kind of orchards does the family have?
3. What flag is flying on the flagpole at the school?
4. What does the ticket clerk tell the mother she should do?
5. What position do the classmates think the boy should take over?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a "Special Volunteer Soldier"?
2. What job do the mother and father have?
3. How does the family show support for the boy when he goes off to school?
4. What events occur to make the first day of school end poorly?
5. Why does the boy pretend to be asleep when his mother wakes him up on Sundays?
6. What kind of breakfast does the grandmother make for the family and why?
7. How is this school different from the one he used to attending?
8. Why had the woman's father been sent to jail?
9. What will happen to the tenant farmer when he gets a wife?
10. What is the morning assembly like at the school?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)