|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the visitor tell the boy?
(a) The Japanese are losing, and the war is almost over.
(b) The father is in prison.
(c) The school is sending more workers.
(d) The grandfather is dead.
2. What does the teacher in the sleeping quarters ask of the boy?
(a) He asks the boy for water.
(b) He asks the boy to remember how he helped the boy when the war is over.
(c) He asks the boy to help him sit up.
(d) He asks the boy to read for him.
3. What part does the boy have in the play?
(a) He is the suitor.
(b) He is the clown.
(c) He is the sun.
(d) He is a Japanese Lieutenant.
4. Where has the boy's father been taken?
(a) To talk with the Emperor.
(b) To the market.
(c) To a detention camp.
(d) To the police headquarters.
5. What does the grandmother put in the boy's lunch that upsets him?
(b) A note.
(c) Peanut butter sandwiches.
(d) White rice.
6. Where do the class members live?
(a) At the boy's house.
(b) In a tent.
(c) At the school.
(d) In a cabin.
7. What does the teacher do after the war?
(a) He comes to the family for help.
(b) He becomes a teacher for Korea.
(c) He is part of a labor gang.
(d) Nothing. He is killed.
8. Why does the grandmother put this in the lunch?
(a) To tease him.
(b) It's her way of showing love.
(c) To make him grow big and strong.
(d) Because it's tradition.
9. What do the Japanese check on a weekly basis?
(a) Class attendance.
(b) Food supplies.
(c) Household accounts.
10. How does the boy feel about acting in the play?
(a) He can't wait.
(b) He is nervous.
(c) He is proud of his part.
(d) He doesn't want to do it.
11. How does the father react when the Inspector tries to bring him to the front of the line?
(a) The father goes with him.
(b) He ignores the Inspector.
(c) He respectfully refuses.
(d) He says he will fight to stay in his spot.
12. Why is it particularly hurtful to the Koreans to lose their names?
(a) They have lost everything else.
(b) They have great respect for their ancestors.
(c) They can't pronounce the new names.
(d) They always have to do what the Japanese demand, and it's humiliating.
13. How does the author feel about the month of February?
(a) It's a month for planning for spring.
(b) It's a month for reflection.
(c) It's a month of hope.
(d) It's a gloomy and cruel month.
14. What do the students do after work at night?
(a) They study.
(b) They call home.
(c) They sleep.
(d) They write letters.
15. Where does the father get his inspiration for the name?
(a) From their orchards.
(b) From the boy's hunting lessons.
(c) From his father.
(d) From the Holy Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the boy's sister want him to make her?
2. What does the boy do that surprises the audience at the play?
3. How does the teacher respond to the boy's message?
4. Of what is the boy accused?
5. What happens when the boy won't apologize?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)