|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the corporal ask the boy to do?
(a) Dig some more.
(b) Make the beds.
(c) Fill his water bottle.
(d) Take a break.
2. What does the grandmother recommend they do when trying to fill the bag?
(a) She says to add sawdust.
(b) She suggests that they make sure it doesn't get too heavy.
(c) She says to deflate the balls.
(d) She recommends that they leave room to tie it off.
3. Where is the mother in February?
(a) In Manchuria.
(b) At the market.
(c) In church.
(d) With her parents.
4. What do the students do when the teacher dismissed them?
(a) They attack the teacher.
(b) They sit and wait for the boy to dismiss them.
(c) They run out of the room as fast as they can.
(d) They go off to get help.
5. How does the boy's punishment affect the play?
(a) He can't walk so he has to do his part sitting down.
(b) It doesn't affect it at all.
(c) They haveto find someone else to do his part.
(d) He can't wear any makeup.
6. Why doesn't the boy quit school?
(a) He will be sent into the army.
(b) He loves it.
(c) His father will have to report to the police weekly if he does.
(d) He appreciates the education.
7. Where has the boy's father been taken?
(a) To a detention camp.
(b) To the market.
(c) To the police headquarters.
(d) To talk with the Emperor.
8. What kind of new name do the people get?
(a) Long, fancy names.
(b) Names that describe their personalities.
(c) Names give to the guards by the spirits.
(d) Japanese names.
9. For what does the teacher send the students home?
(a) Rubber balls.
(c) They want to have a teacher's meeting.
(d) A list of household members.
10. How do the Koreans know the Americans won't bomb them?
(a) They don't.
(b) The Americans have flown over and dropped leaflets.
(c) An American soldier comes to speak at an Assembly.
(d) It is written in the newspapers.
11. What does the boy decide to do?
(a) He decides to wait a bit to see how the political situation develops.
(b) He decides to stay with his classmates.
(c) He decides to try to escape.
(d) He decides to go home.
12. How does the father react when someone offers his spot on line to the father?
(a) He pretends that he doesn't hear the man.
(b) He respectfully refuses to change spots.
(c) He takes the spot as if he deserves it.
(d) He thanks him and changes spots.
13. What does the boy's sister want him to make her?
(b) Ice skates.
(c) A doll.
(d) A fort.
14. What does the boy do that surprises the audience at the play?
(a) He performs flawlessly.
(b) He shows up even though he has beenseverely beaten and can hardly stand.
(c) He protests the fact that someone is playing his part.
(d) He lashes out at the Japanese from stage.
15. What does the visitor tell the boy?
(a) The school is sending more workers.
(b) The Japanese are losing, and the war is almost over.
(c) The father is in prison.
(d) The grandfather is dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the boy get home after his punishment?
2. For what does the teacher ask the students?
3. How does the boy initially feel about his own stubbornness?
4. What does the grandmother put in the boy's lunch that upsets him?
5. How does the boy feel about acting in the play?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)