|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religion do the father and mother follow?
2. Who arrives during the special dinner on the first day of school?
(a) The teacher.
(b) The police.
(c) A missionary.
(d) The boy who makes faces.
3. What vehicle takes the boy to the market?
(a) An oxcart.
(b) A bus.
(c) A bicycle.
(d) A taxi.
4. What time of day is it when the mother waits?
(a) It is midmorning.
(b) The dawn is just breaking.
(c) It is night.
(d) It is close to noon.
5. What is going to happen to the missionaries in Manchuria?
(a) They will be asked to move to other parts within the country.
(b) They will all be evacuated.
(c) They will be killed.
(d) They will be asked to bring more missionaries.
6. What does the grandfather say that the Japanese can't take away?
(a) His brain.
(b) His life.
(c) His will.
(d) His heart.
7. What does the father tell his friends to have?
8. What happens to the students if they don't bow toward the Japanese Emperor?
(a) They have to go up on stage for a humiliating lecture.
(b) They have to write an essay on the importance of respect.
(d) They are beaten.
9. Who helps teach the boy to hunt?
(a) His father.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) His teacher.
(d) A tenant farmer.
10. What does the grandfather give the boy for the first time at dinner on his first day of school?
(a) A revolver.
(b) A journal.
(c) His own chopsticks.
(d) Rice wine.
11. Why don't they wait for the next train?
(a) They don't know if it will come, and they need to leave the town.
(b) They are anxious to get to their destination.
(c) They think it would be quicker to take a bus.
(d) They are worried about who might be on that train.
12. How does the boy feel about the situation of his world as he falls asleep on the Sunday?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He is content.
(c) It makes him cry.
(d) He is happy.
13. Of what is everyone aware?
(a) There are too many cultures intermixing.
(b) The missionaries are getting too pushy.
(c) They are on the cusp of war.
(d) The Koreans are rising in power.
14. In what grade is the boy when they move back from Manchuria?
15. What position do the classmates think the boy should take over?
(a) Class leader.
(b) First baseman.
(c) Class negotiator.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language do the students have to speak after third grade?
2. What is the train compartment like?
3. Where does the mother wait for the father?
4. How do the children at the school react to him?
5. What does the father say the teacher is?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)