|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what language are most of the books in the bookstore written?
2. What do the adults do while the boy is looking through books and magazines?
(a) They whisper about the war.
(b) They write political propoganda.
(c) They have coffee together.
(d) They discuss books.
3. What bothers the boy as he looks around at his friends who are playing?
(a) He thinks they are too poor and unkempt.
(b) He knows they are going to lose their names.
(c) They are too rough.
(d) He knows they will all die.
4. What is happening to the Koreans all around?
(a) They are starting to become oppressed by the Russians.
(b) They are beginning to realize the value of their culture.
(c) They are starting to become oppressed by the Japanese.
(d) They are starting to become a world trade power.
5. Who is supposed to help the mother?
(a) The father.
(b) The police.
(c) The station clerk.
(d) The conductor.
6. Where does the teacher take the boy?
(a) To a Chinese restaurant.
(b) To the field.
(c) To a disciplinary room in the school.
(d) To the beach.
7. Where is the mother supposed to stay?
(a) At the police headquarters.
(b) On the train.
(c) In the station house.
(d) With some friends in the area.
8. What is the teacher doing after the bookshop experience that makes the boy comment to his father?
(a) He is yelling.
(b) He is crying.
(c) He is pulling at his hair.
(d) He is tearing up books.
9. What do they confront when they are near their destination?
(a) Police barricades.
(b) Political protests.
(c) Cracks in the ice near the shoreline.
(d) Mobs of people ready to send them back.
10. How does the mother feel about her new situation?
(a) She is excited about it.
(b) She is resigned to her fate.
(c) She is hesitant about whether or not it's the right choice.
(d) She is fearful.
11. What do the father's papers say?
(a) He has permission to travel.
(b) He has been acquitted for his thievery.
(c) He is allowed out of the country for one week.
(d) He is innocent of murder.
12. About whom is the boy thinking when he follows through with the tradition?
(a) His friends in Manchuria.
(b) The boy who makes faces.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
13. What does the boy do when his mother tries to wake him up on Sundays?
(a) He jumps out of bed.
(b) He pretends he is asleep.
(c) He sings a morning song.
(d) He tells her he's already up.
14. What does the father tell the mother the baby is doing as they cross the river?
(b) Gurgling happily.
15. What does the father tell his friends to have?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps teach the boy to hunt?
2. Why is the father leaving the country?
3. What religion do the father and mother follow?
4. What does the maid call the boy?
5. Why is the father weak?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)