|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the boy going with his father after church?
(a) To a restaurant.
(c) The bookstore.
2. How does the boy feel about the situation of his world as he falls asleep on the Sunday?
(a) He is happy.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He is content.
(d) It makes him cry.
3. Why is the father weak?
(a) He has been in jail for years for his resistance-movement activities.
(b) He is getting old.
(c) He has recently been ill.
(d) He is fasting.
4. How does the mother react when the train starts moving?
(a) She gets off the train.
(b) She starts running up and down the corridor looking for her husband.
(c) She starts screaming at the conductor.
(d) She faints.
5. What happens to many delinquent Koreans?
(a) They are killed.
(b) They enter the army as unwilling "volunteers."
(c) They are sent to jail.
(d) They are sentenced to community service for a month.
6. About whom is the boy thinking when he follows through with the tradition?
(a) His mother.
(b) The boy who makes faces.
(c) His friends in Manchuria.
(d) His father.
7. What language do the students have to speak after third grade?
8. Who meets the mother after several hours?
(a) The father.
(b) The conductor, on his way back.
(c) The police.
(d) The ticket clerk.
9. What do they confront when they are near their destination?
(a) Cracks in the ice near the shoreline.
(b) Mobs of people ready to send them back.
(c) Political protests.
(d) Police barricades.
10. Why is the father leaving the country?
(a) He is going to teach at a Christian school.
(b) He wants to learn about different cultures.
(c) He wants to start fresh.
(d) He has been run out of his own hometown.
11. What happens to Pumpkin?
(a) He drowns.
(b) He decides he want to be class leader.
(c) He is arrested.
(d) He rns away.
12. How does the mother feel about her new situation?
(a) She is fearful.
(b) She is resigned to her fate.
(c) She is excited about it.
(d) She is hesitant about whether or not it's the right choice.
13. Where does the family live during the summer?
(a) The same place they always live.
(b) In a cottage in the middle of the orchard.
(c) In a beach house.
(d) In an apartment in the city.
14. In what activity do the boys plan to participate during the afternoon?
15. In what language are most of the books in the bookstore written?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the father's papers say?
2. Who do the mother and father follow?
3. What does the boy do when his mother tries to wake him up on Sundays?
4. What does the boy do to the other boy who accuses him?
5. What is the train compartment like?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)