|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to visit the boy after school on the first day?
(b) The boy who makes faces, on his own.
(c) 14 boys.
(d) The police.
2. What danger do they face as they cross the river?
(b) The bridge could collapse at any time.
(c) Thin ice and slipperyness.
(d) They might get arrested.
3. What happens to Pumpkin?
(a) He is arrested.
(b) He decides he want to be class leader.
(c) He rns away.
(d) He drowns.
4. How do the other passengers react when the father is being questioned?
(a) They stand up and defend him.
(b) They turn their heads and look away.
(c) They ask why he is being questioned.
(d) They push the inquisitors out of the compartment.
5. What language do the students have to speak after third grade?
6. Where is the boy going with his father after church?
(b) To a restaurant.
(c) The bookstore.
7. Why don't they wait for the next train?
(a) They don't know if it will come, and they need to leave the town.
(b) They think it would be quicker to take a bus.
(c) They are anxious to get to their destination.
(d) They are worried about who might be on that train.
8. How does the grandmother feel about food?
(a) She makes a feast, thinking there's never enough for everyone.
(b) She feels that a diet should be simple yet solid.
(c) She hates cooking.
(d) She will only make traditional dishes.
9. Where is the mother supposed to stay?
(a) On the train.
(b) With some friends in the area.
(c) In the station house.
(d) At the police headquarters.
10. What does the boy do to the other boy who accuses him?
(a) He ignores him.
(b) He asks for proof.
(c) He apologizes to him.
(d) He attacks him.
11. Who takes his father off the train?
(a) The engineer.
(b) The conductor.
(c) The Korean Thought Policeman and the Korean Military Policeman.
(d) The Japanese Thought Policeman and the Japanese Military Policeman.
12. What does the maid call the boy?
13. What does the boy observe about his classmates?
(a) Many are very poor and don't even have socks.
(b) They like to pull pranks on each other.
(c) They are very well-behaved.
(d) They wish they were Japanese.
14. Who do the mother and father follow?
(a) The ticket clerk.
(b) An old couple.
(c) The conductor.
(d) The policeman.
15. Of what is everyone aware?
(a) The Koreans are rising in power.
(b) There are too many cultures intermixing.
(c) The missionaries are getting too pushy.
(d) They are on the cusp of war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes the mother feel even better about her situation?
2. What religion do the father and mother follow?
3. Why is the boy in a hurry to get to Sunday school?
4. What vehicle takes the boy to the market?
5. What do the father's papers say?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)