|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the teacher in Vancouver decide to call Alina because she could not pronounce her name?
2. What was Mr. Ostropov involved in politically back in Russia?
3. What did Eva think that the sliced cheese and bologna smelled like?
4. What did Eva confide to Mrs. Steiner?
5. Vancouver's Board of Commerce claimed that Vancouver was the most beautiful city in the world after what city?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mr. Ostropov play the role of the "mad Russian?"
2. How did the concept of "internal goods" give Eva comfort and allow her to feel more comfortable with herself?
3. How did Eva see Mr. Rosenberg after the Wydra's had been in Canada for a bit? How did he change in Eva's eyes and why did she perceive him differently after a short time?
4. What role did humor play in learning a new language for the Wydra's and especially Eva? What was it like for Eva to tell a joke? What did not translate from Polish to English?
5. Shortly after the Wydra's arrived in Canada, Eva had a bad dream. What was it and why was it significant?
6. How did Canada's work ethic affect Eva's father and his view of himself?
7. Why did Eva's father struggle so much once the family was living in Canada?
8. In Eva's attempt at secrecy, what role did Mrs. Steiner play? Why did Eva place her is this position? What characteristics did Mrs. Steiner have that made Eva behave differently towards her?
9. As Eva learned new words and expressions, why was she baffled by "You're welcome?"
10. When Eva and her friends would see a foreign film in Poland, what questions would they ask about the characters in the film? How does this relate to Eva's life in Canada?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Eva and Alinka reassure each other as adults? Why do they need this reassurance? What are they missing that gives them the need for this? Are they happy and well-adjusted? How do trips home affect Eva's self-esteem? Why does this happen?
Essay Topic 2
Compare how Canada and/or America is viewed from the beginning of the book to the end of the book. Begin with the family's views of life across the ocean from Cracow, and continue the journey with the family as they emigrate to Canada. Give specific examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
From Eva's viewpoint, how do Americans feel about American identity? What do Americans feel they are missing? Does Eva feel she is missing the same thing once she becomes "Americanized?"
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)