|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did the Wydra's stay with when they arrived in Vancouver?
2. On Eva's voyage of self-improvement, what two historical figures did she want to follow?
3. What did Mrs. Steiner disapprove of that Eva's father did?
4. After Eva's parents worked their business out of their basement, where did they move the business?
5. What did Eva think that the sliced cheese and bologna smelled like?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Eva dreamed of staying in Poland, how did she imagine her life would have been had she stayed? What was "normal" to Eva and why did she believe that life in Poland would have been "normal?"
2. How did Eva see Mr. Rosenberg after the Wydra's had been in Canada for a bit? How did he change in Eva's eyes and why did she perceive him differently after a short time?
3. When did Eva realize that discussing communism with her classmates was a waste of time?
4. Why did Eva believe that speech was a class signifier?
5. Why did Eva choose English as the language she would write in when she received her new diary?
6. How did Canada's work ethic affect Eva's father and his view of himself?
7. What role did humor play in learning a new language for the Wydra's and especially Eva? What was it like for Eva to tell a joke? What did not translate from Polish to English?
8. How was Eva a "pretend teenager?"
9. How did the concept of "internal goods" give Eva comfort and allow her to feel more comfortable with herself?
10. Shortly after the Wydra's arrived in Canada, Eva had a bad dream. What was it and why was it significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Eva and Alinka reassure each other as adults? Why do they need this reassurance? What are they missing that gives them the need for this? Are they happy and well-adjusted? How do trips home affect Eva's self-esteem? Why does this happen?
Essay Topic 2
How does the age difference between Eva and her sister affect Eva's sister? How is she more quickly "Americanized?" Why do you think this is? At what ages did the girls emigrate? Why is this important? Support your essay with quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of music and its importance to Eva throughout the memoir. Explain how her love of the the piano begins and what shape her music lesson take in Poland and then in Canada and beyond. How is a career in music viewed in Poland compared to a career in music elsewhere? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)