|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the Wydras live inside the house in which they stayed when they arrived in Vancouver?
2. What could Eva NOT afford to do at Christmas when she was in college?
3. Just before leaving for college, how did Eva describe herself?
4. What did Eva believe was the most important thing about speech?
5. What did Eva's father settle into for work in Canada?
Short Essay Questions
1. Shortly after the Wydra's arrived in Canada, Eva had a bad dream. What was it and why was it significant?
2. How were Eva's views of communism different from her classmates?
3. How did Eva see Mr. Rosenberg after the Wydra's had been in Canada for a bit? How did he change in Eva's eyes and why did she perceive him differently after a short time?
4. When Eva and her family arrived in Canada, how did Eva view the two parts of her life?
5. Give an example of how the Wydra's became paralyzed by choices and how they made decisions?
6. How did Mr. Ostropov play the role of the "mad Russian?"
7. Once in Canada, how did Eva keep her privacy? What did she hold back? How was she careful in what she said about the difficulties that her family was facing?
8. As Eva learned new words and expressions, why was she baffled by "You're welcome?"
9. Why did Eva choose English as the language she would write in when she received her new diary?
10. Why did Eva believe that speech was a class signifier?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Eva and Alinka reassure each other as adults? Why do they need this reassurance? What are they missing that gives them the need for this? Are they happy and well-adjusted? How do trips home affect Eva's self-esteem? Why does this happen?
Essay Topic 2
How does Eva's mother lose parental control when the emigrate to Canada? Why is her mother unsure of how to parent in her new country? How would it be different had the family stayed in Poland?
Essay Topic 3
In the end, what is emigration? What does it mean to be an immigrant? Would people born in America have the same expectations of the country? Why? Why not?
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)