|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game did most teenage parties devolve into that made Eva feel that she was among a strange tribe of adolescents?
2. On their trip to Vancouver, how much did four bowls of soup cost?
3. Just before leaving for college, how did Eva describe herself?
4. How did the Wydra's travel from the Canadian port city to Vancouver?
5. Which toothpaste did the Wydra's decide to use after seeing commercials?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Eva learned new words and expressions, why was she baffled by "You're welcome?"
2. How did Eva see Mr. Rosenberg after the Wydra's had been in Canada for a bit? How did he change in Eva's eyes and why did she perceive him differently after a short time?
3. How did Canada's work ethic affect Eva's father and his view of himself?
4. Give an example of how the Wydra's became paralyzed by choices and how they made decisions?
5. When Eva dreamed of staying in Poland, how did she imagine her life would have been had she stayed? What was "normal" to Eva and why did she believe that life in Poland would have been "normal?"
6. When Eva and her family arrived in Canada, how did Eva view the two parts of her life?
7. Once in Canada, how did Eva keep her privacy? What did she hold back? How was she careful in what she said about the difficulties that her family was facing?
8. Why did Eva believe that speech was a class signifier?
9. How was Eva a "pretend teenager?"
10. How did Mr. Ostropov play the role of the "mad Russian?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Eva's mother lose parental control when the emigrate to Canada? Why is her mother unsure of how to parent in her new country? How would it be different had the family stayed in Poland?
Essay Topic 2
Compare how Canada and/or America is viewed from the beginning of the book to the end of the book. Begin with the family's views of life across the ocean from Cracow, and continue the journey with the family as they emigrate to Canada. Give specific examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
How do Eva and Alinka reassure each other as adults? Why do they need this reassurance? What are they missing that gives them the need for this? Are they happy and well-adjusted? How do trips home affect Eva's self-esteem? Why does this happen?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)