|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who in Canada supervised Eva's musical progress?
2. What was the address where the Wydra's first lived in Vancouver written on the "I'm lost" card?
3. Where did Eva decide to attend college for her undergraduate degree?
4. When Eva saw a black man on her travels to Vancouver, who did she think he looked like?
5. What did Penny's sister, Janet, try to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Eva a "pretend teenager?"
2. When did Eva realize that discussing communism with her classmates was a waste of time?
3. What role did humor play in learning a new language for the Wydra's and especially Eva? What was it like for Eva to tell a joke? What did not translate from Polish to English?
4. Give an example of how the Wydra's became paralyzed by choices and how they made decisions?
5. In Eva's attempt at secrecy, what role did Mrs. Steiner play? Why did Eva place her is this position? What characteristics did Mrs. Steiner have that made Eva behave differently towards her?
6. Why did Eva choose English as the language she would write in when she received her new diary?
7. What did Eva mean when she claimed to have "no interior language?"
8. How did Canada's work ethic affect Eva's father and his view of himself?
9. How were Eva's views of communism different from her classmates?
10. How did Mr. Ostropov play the role of the "mad Russian?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of music and its importance to Eva throughout the memoir. Explain how her love of the the piano begins and what shape her music lesson take in Poland and then in Canada and beyond. How is a career in music viewed in Poland compared to a career in music elsewhere? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
How does Eva use detachment to help her survive in Canada, in college and even beyond? What is she detaching from? What does this leave her to connect to?
Essay Topic 3
What is the final layer of English that Eva must conquer? What is the final key to Eva's understanding of the English language? How does this affect her becoming a full American?
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)