|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city did Eva and her parents get off the ship at when they arrived in Canada?
2. What group of brothers kept eluding the gestapo so successfully during the war that the Germans thought Eva's father was one of them?
3. How did Eva's mother and father prefer her to dress when in Poland?
4. Other than a pianist, what did Eva declare that she would like to be when she grew up?
5. Who did Eva go to Christian church with when she was young?
Short Essay Questions
1. What emotion did Eva have when she heard the Polish National Anthem as her ship left for Canada?
2. Why did Eva consider the landing of the Batory the end of the narrative of her childhood?
3. Compare Krysia's adult life with Eva's. What were the differences? What were the similarities? How did you think they viewed each others lives?
4. How did Pani Ruta live during the war and why was her family untouched by what was happening to the Jews?
5. What was Eva's education like in Poland? Do you think she was getting two different educations? How did the teachers help the students understand what was important?
6. What was the difference between the books that Eva choose from the library and books she had to read in school in Poland?
7. How was life on the ship to Canada like a family?
8. Why was it important for Eva's mother to have a maid? What role did this maid play in her idea of what a homemaker was?
9. For Eva's parents, what extra meaning did her birth have?
10. What, according to the author, was middle class in the Poland of her childhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From Eva's viewpoint, how do Americans feel about American identity? What do Americans feel they are missing? Does Eva feel she is missing the same thing once she becomes "Americanized?"
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of music and its importance to Eva throughout the memoir. Explain how her love of the the piano begins and what shape her music lesson take in Poland and then in Canada and beyond. How is a career in music viewed in Poland compared to a career in music elsewhere? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the meaning of friendship in Poland and Canada through the eyes of the author? What about her friendships in New York? Does she finally get the kind of friends she wants? How does she describe them?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)