|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Marek tell Eva's father before his family left Poland?
2. Who died in 1956 on a visit to Moscow?
3. What did the brass band play as the ship left the harbor when Eva's family sailed for Canada?
4. What did Eva play for her first public piano performance?
5. What ship did Eva and her family sail on to Canada?
Short Essay Questions
1. What emotion did Eva have when she heard the Polish National Anthem as her ship left for Canada?
2. How did Eva's mother view the idea of being lazy for women?
3. What changed in the friendship with Basia after she returned from the camp for young communists?
4. How did Eva gather memories before the family emigrated to Canada?
5. What, according to Eva, threw an "odd light" on Pani Orlovska?
6. What, according to the author, was middle class in the Poland of her childhood?
7. For Eva's parents, what extra meaning did her birth have?
8. What was an apparatchik in Poland and who, according to Eva, was one? What did they do? What was their function in the political landscape?
9. How did Eva feel about national pride?
10. What did Eva feel that she was being exiled from as she left Poland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the meaning of friendship in Poland and Canada through the eyes of the author? What about her friendships in New York? Does she finally get the kind of friends she wants? How does she describe them?
Essay Topic 2
How does the age difference between Eva and her sister affect Eva's sister? How is she more quickly "Americanized?" Why do you think this is? At what ages did the girls emigrate? Why is this important? Support your essay with quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Why is English the language of Eva's adulthood? Why does she stop translating in her head? What happens that makes it possible for Eva to think and dream in English? Why is this an important step in her development?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)