|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the drink made for Eva by her mother when she was sick?
2. Who refused to leave the ship and meet her new husband when the ship reached Canada?
3. Which close relative of Eva's mother died during the war in the gas chambers?
4. What was a familiar arch in Cracow which functioned as a gateway to the old city?
5. What did Krysia's mother call her because she recoiled from being hugged?
Short Essay Questions
1. What emotion did Eva have when she heard the Polish National Anthem as her ship left for Canada?
2. What was Eva's education like in Poland? Do you think she was getting two different educations? How did the teachers help the students understand what was important?
3. How did the author describe illness in Poland and illness in Canada? What were the differences between how children were treated when they had a cold or the flu in the two countries?
4. How did Eva gather memories before the family emigrated to Canada?
5. What changed in the friendship with Basia after she returned from the camp for young communists?
6. Why did Eva's parents go to synagogue and practice religion?
7. What, according to the author, was middle class in the Poland of her childhood?
8. Why was it important for Eva's mother to have a maid? What role did this maid play in her idea of what a homemaker was?
9. What did Eva feel that she was being exiled from as she left Poland?
10. How did Eva's mother view the idea of being lazy for women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are women portrayed in the story? What are their roles? How are they viewed by the author? How are they viewed by others in the story? By men? Give examples to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the meaning of friendship in Poland and Canada through the eyes of the author? What about her friendships in New York? Does she finally get the kind of friends she wants? How does she describe them?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of music and its importance to Eva throughout the memoir. Explain how her love of the the piano begins and what shape her music lesson take in Poland and then in Canada and beyond. How is a career in music viewed in Poland compared to a career in music elsewhere? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)