|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a familiar arch in Cracow which functioned as a gateway to the old city?
2. What happened to Alinka when her mother went to a sanatorium?
3. What did Eva's mother have an aversion to teaching her daughter?
4. Where did Eva and her family go on an autumn afternoon in 1958?
5. Who's son was Marek?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Eva consider the landing of the Batory the end of the narrative of her childhood?
2. What was an apparatchik in Poland and who, according to Eva, was one? What did they do? What was their function in the political landscape?
3. What changed in the friendship with Basia after she returned from the camp for young communists?
4. How did Eva gather memories before the family emigrated to Canada?
5. What was Eva's education like in Poland? Do you think she was getting two different educations? How did the teachers help the students understand what was important?
6. What, according to the author, was middle class in the Poland of her childhood?
7. How did Eva's mother view the idea of being lazy for women?
8. How did the author describe illness in Poland and illness in Canada? What were the differences between how children were treated when they had a cold or the flu in the two countries?
9. Why did Eva's parents go to synagogue and practice religion?
10. What emotion did Eva have when she heard the Polish National Anthem as her ship left for Canada?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Eva's mother lose parental control when the emigrate to Canada? Why is her mother unsure of how to parent in her new country? How would it be different had the family stayed in Poland?
Essay Topic 2
How do Eva and Alinka reassure each other as adults? Why do they need this reassurance? What are they missing that gives them the need for this? Are they happy and well-adjusted? How do trips home affect Eva's self-esteem? Why does this happen?
Essay Topic 3
Compare how Canada and/or America is viewed from the beginning of the book to the end of the book. Begin with the family's views of life across the ocean from Cracow, and continue the journey with the family as they emigrate to Canada. Give specific examples from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)