|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ship did Eva and her family sail on to Canada?
2. What did Krysia's mother call her because she recoiled from being hugged?
3. What, according to the author, was the language of money and secrets?
4. Who was Eva's sister named after?
5. Where did Eva's mother take her every two weeks when she was a child that Eva described as being like Plato's cave or an Egyptian temple?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Eva's education like in Poland? Do you think she was getting two different educations? How did the teachers help the students understand what was important?
2. How did Eva's mother view the idea of being lazy for women?
3. What was the difference between the books that Eva choose from the library and books she had to read in school in Poland?
4. What was an apparatchik in Poland and who, according to Eva, was one? What did they do? What was their function in the political landscape?
5. What was a sanatorium and why did Eva's mother have to go to a sanatorium for a while?
6. What emotion did Eva have when she heard the Polish National Anthem as her ship left for Canada?
7. How did Pani Ruta live during the war and why was her family untouched by what was happening to the Jews?
8. How did Eva gather memories before the family emigrated to Canada?
9. What did Eva feel that she was being exiled from as she left Poland?
10. What, according to the author, was middle class in the Poland of her childhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author describe words as signals? What kind of signals do words give the author? How does she read the signals? Use 2-3 examples of signals as discussed in the book.
Essay Topic 2
How does Eva use detachment to help her survive in Canada, in college and even beyond? What is she detaching from? What does this leave her to connect to?
Essay Topic 3
How does Eva's mother lose parental control when the emigrate to Canada? Why is her mother unsure of how to parent in her new country? How would it be different had the family stayed in Poland?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)