|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Eva decide to attend college for her undergraduate degree?
(a) Chicago School for the Arts.
(c) Rice University in Houston, TX.
2. What did Eva's father settle into for work in Canada?
(a) He collected and sold junk.
(b) He ran a diner.
(c) He worked for a construction company.
(d) He ran an antique store for fine antiques.
3. What are Eva and Alinka dressed in when they arrive in Vancouver?
(a) Flower dresses and matching socks.
(b) Their pajamas.
(c) Jeans and white shirts.
(d) Identical navy blue dresses with sailor collars.
4. After traveling to America, what did Eva declare was the capitol of the United States?
(b) Los Angeles.
(d) New York.
5. What did the teacher in Vancouver decide to call Alina because she could not pronounce her name?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Eva think that the sliced cheese and bologna smelled like?
2. What language did Eva begin writing in when she began taking writing seriously?
3. Why couldn't Eva hear herself on the radio when she was interviewed at 14 years old?
4. What could Eva NOT afford to do at Christmas when she was in college?
5. What did hearing English distorted feel like for Eva?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Eva see Mr. Rosenberg after the Wydra's had been in Canada for a bit? How did he change in Eva's eyes and why did she perceive him differently after a short time?
2. Why did Eva choose English as the language she would write in when she received her new diary?
3. In Eva's attempt at secrecy, what role did Mrs. Steiner play? Why did Eva place her is this position? What characteristics did Mrs. Steiner have that made Eva behave differently towards her?
4. How did Mr. Ostropov play the role of the "mad Russian?"
5. How was Eva a "pretend teenager?"
6. Give an example of how the Wydra's became paralyzed by choices and how they made decisions?
7. As Eva learned new words and expressions, why was she baffled by "You're welcome?"
8. How did Canada's work ethic affect Eva's father and his view of himself?
9. Shortly after the Wydra's arrived in Canada, Eva had a bad dream. What was it and why was it significant?
10. When did Eva realize that discussing communism with her classmates was a waste of time?
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)