|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Eva think that the sliced cheese and bologna smelled like?
(d) Raw meat.
2. How long did Mr. Ostropov's lessons run?
(a) 30 minutes.
(b) 1 hour and 1/2.
(c) 1 hour on the dot.
(d) Sometimes up to 3 hours.
3. What are Eva and Alinka dressed in when they arrive in Vancouver?
(a) Jeans and white shirts.
(b) Flower dresses and matching socks.
(c) Identical navy blue dresses with sailor collars.
(d) Their pajamas.
4. After Eva's parents worked their business out of their basement, where did they move the business?
(a) They sold out of their truck.
(b) The moved the business upstairs.
(c) They bought a store.
(d) They rented a store.
5. What did Mrs. Steiner disapprove of that Eva's father did?
(a) He drank.
(b) He started a junk company.
(c) He left his wife.
(d) He quit his job at the lumber mill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Eva's teacher, Mr. Jones ask her about that only she could answer?
2. What did Eva's father settle into for work in Canada?
3. How did Mr. Ostropov show what he meant by "life?"
4. Just before leaving for college, how did Eva describe herself?
5. Why couldn't Eva hear herself on the radio when she was interviewed at 14 years old?
Short Essay Questions
1. Shortly after the Wydra's arrived in Canada, Eva had a bad dream. What was it and why was it significant?
2. What role did humor play in learning a new language for the Wydra's and especially Eva? What was it like for Eva to tell a joke? What did not translate from Polish to English?
3. How was Eva a "pretend teenager?"
4. When Eva and her friends would see a foreign film in Poland, what questions would they ask about the characters in the film? How does this relate to Eva's life in Canada?
5. Why did Eva choose English as the language she would write in when she received her new diary?
6. How did Mr. Ostropov play the role of the "mad Russian?"
7. Why did Eva believe that speech was a class signifier?
8. As Eva learned new words and expressions, why was she baffled by "You're welcome?"
9. What did Eva mean when she claimed to have "no interior language?"
10. Give an example of how the Wydra's became paralyzed by choices and how they made decisions?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)