|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the Canadian version of McDonald's?
(a) White Spot.
(b) Joe's Diner.
(c) White Castle.
2. How, according to Eva, did girls act in Canada when talking about boys?
3. Which toothpaste did the Wydra's decide to use after seeing commercials?
(a) Arm and Hammer.
4. What did Penny give Eva for her birthday that got her writing juices flowing?
(a) A typewriter.
(b) A blank notebook.
(d) A diary.
5. Where was the photograph taken about a year after the Wydra's arrived in Canada?
(a) In the back yard of their home.
(b) In front of a museum.
(c) In the mountains.
(d) By the ocean.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did hearing English distorted feel like for Eva?
2. On their trip to Vancouver, how much did four bowls of soup cost?
3. Vancouver's Board of Commerce claimed that Vancouver was the most beautiful city in the world after what city?
4. What, according to Eva and her parents, was the "big fear?"
5. What are Eva and Alinka dressed in when they arrive in Vancouver?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Eva believe that speech was a class signifier?
2. When did Eva realize that discussing communism with her classmates was a waste of time?
3. When Eva and her friends would see a foreign film in Poland, what questions would they ask about the characters in the film? How does this relate to Eva's life in Canada?
4. Give an example of how the Wydra's became paralyzed by choices and how they made decisions?
5. How did Canada's work ethic affect Eva's father and his view of himself?
6. How was Eva a "pretend teenager?"
7. When Eva dreamed of staying in Poland, how did she imagine her life would have been had she stayed? What was "normal" to Eva and why did she believe that life in Poland would have been "normal?"
8. How did the concept of "internal goods" give Eva comfort and allow her to feel more comfortable with herself?
9. What role did humor play in learning a new language for the Wydra's and especially Eva? What was it like for Eva to tell a joke? What did not translate from Polish to English?
10. Why did Eva choose English as the language she would write in when she received her new diary?
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)