|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did Mr. Ostropov's lessons run?
(a) 1 hour on the dot.
(b) 1 hour and 1/2.
(c) Sometimes up to 3 hours.
(d) 30 minutes.
2. On their trip to Vancouver, how much did four bowls of soup cost?
3. Who did the Wydra's stay with when they arrived in Vancouver?
(a) A Synagogue.
(b) The Steiner family.
(c) The Berg family.
(d) The Rosenberg family.
4. When Eva saw a black man on her travels to Vancouver, who did she think he looked like?
(a) Wilt Chamberlin.
(b) Ray Charles.
(c) Martin Luther King.
(d) Harry Belafonte.
5. What did Eva's sister do almost the entire trip from Montreal to Vancouver?
(a) Ran around and played.
(c) Giggled nervously.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many languages did Eva's mother speak?
2. Why couldn't Eva hear herself on the radio when she was interviewed at 14 years old?
3. What did Eva's mother tell the girls to do as they stepped on the soil in Vancouver?
4. What two popular shows on T.V. did the men go to the den to watch during parties in Canada?
5. What cartoon did Eva and her mother just not understand?
Short Essay Questions
1. Shortly after the Wydra's arrived in Canada, Eva had a bad dream. What was it and why was it significant?
2. Why did Eva choose English as the language she would write in when she received her new diary?
3. When Eva dreamed of staying in Poland, how did she imagine her life would have been had she stayed? What was "normal" to Eva and why did she believe that life in Poland would have been "normal?"
4. How were Eva's views of communism different from her classmates?
5. How did Eva see Mr. Rosenberg after the Wydra's had been in Canada for a bit? How did he change in Eva's eyes and why did she perceive him differently after a short time?
6. When Eva and her family arrived in Canada, how did Eva view the two parts of her life?
7. Why did Eva believe that speech was a class signifier?
8. Give an example of how the Wydra's became paralyzed by choices and how they made decisions?
9. When did Eva realize that discussing communism with her classmates was a waste of time?
10. When Eva and her friends would see a foreign film in Poland, what questions would they ask about the characters in the film? How does this relate to Eva's life in Canada?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)