|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Eva's mother became ill and had to go to a sanatorium, where did Eva go to stay?
(a) With her aunt.
(b) With Marek and his family.
(c) With her sister.
(d) To an orphanage.
2. What happened to Alinka when her mother went to a sanatorium?
(a) She went to a private establishment run by a governess and gets treated badly.
(b) She lives with a teacher from school.
(c) She lives with Pani Ruta.
(d) She stays home with a maid.
3. Who was Eva's mother's best friend?
(a) Pani Clois.
(b) Pani Judith.
(c) Pani Ruta.
(d) Pani Ovantrain.
4. How old was Eva when her family sailed for Canada?
(a) 16 years old.
(b) 13 years old.
(c) 19 years old.
(d) 22 years old.
5. Who was Eva's sister named after?
(a) Her mother's sister.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) A maid.
(d) A relative in Israel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Other than a pianist, what did Eva declare that she would like to be when she grew up?
2. What did Marek tell Eva's father before his family left Poland?
3. How did Eva's mother and father prefer her to dress when in Poland?
4. What did Eva and her sister have sewn into the pockets of their skirts when they sailed for Canada?
5. What did Eva's mother have an aversion to teaching her daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Eva gather memories before the family emigrated to Canada?
2. How did Eva's mother view the idea of being lazy for women?
3. What was Eva's education like in Poland? Do you think she was getting two different educations? How did the teachers help the students understand what was important?
4. How did the author describe illness in Poland and illness in Canada? What were the differences between how children were treated when they had a cold or the flu in the two countries?
5. What changed in the friendship with Basia after she returned from the camp for young communists?
6. What was the difference between the books that Eva choose from the library and books she had to read in school in Poland?
7. Compare Krysia's adult life with Eva's. What were the differences? What were the similarities? How did you think they viewed each others lives?
8. What did Eva feel that she was being exiled from as she left Poland?
9. Why did Eva consider the landing of the Batory the end of the narrative of her childhood?
10. How did Eva feel about national pride?
This section contains 1,238 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)