|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the ship that Eva and her family emigrate to Canada on sail from?
2. What happened to Alinka when her mother went to a sanatorium?
(a) She lives with a teacher from school.
(b) She lives with Pani Ruta.
(c) She stays home with a maid.
(d) She went to a private establishment run by a governess and gets treated badly.
3. What city did Eva and her parents get off the ship at when they arrived in Canada?
4. Who was Eva's sister named after?
(a) A maid.
(b) A relative in Israel.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her mother's sister.
5. Where did Eva's mother take her every two weeks when she was a child that Eva described as being like Plato's cave or an Egyptian temple?
(b) The opera.
(c) The library.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Eva's mother have an aversion to teaching her daughter?
2. What did Marek tell Eva's father before his family left Poland?
3. Where did Eva's family take vacations when she was young in Poland?
4. What street did Eva and her family live on in Poland?
5. What did Krysia's mother call her because she recoiled from being hugged?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Eva's education like in Poland? Do you think she was getting two different educations? How did the teachers help the students understand what was important?
2. How did Eva feel about national pride?
3. How did Eva gather memories before the family emigrated to Canada?
4. What was an apparatchik in Poland and who, according to Eva, was one? What did they do? What was their function in the political landscape?
5. Why did Eva consider the landing of the Batory the end of the narrative of her childhood?
6. How was life on the ship to Canada like a family?
7. What, according to the author, was middle class in the Poland of her childhood?
8. What emotion did Eva have when she heard the Polish National Anthem as her ship left for Canada?
9. For Eva's parents, what extra meaning did her birth have?
10. What did Eva feel that she was being exiled from as she left Poland?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)