|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unique about Orlovska's apartment that let Eva know that they had more money than her family?
(a) They had a separate kitchen.
(b) They had a maid's room.
(c) They had a 4th room.
(d) They had a "little salon."
2. What ship did Eva and her family sail on to Canada?
(a) The Lusitania.
(b) The Batory.
(c) The Titanic.
(d) Oh Canada!
3. Where did Eva and her family go on an autumn afternoon in 1958?
(a) To a demonstration.
(b) To the Bergs' house.
(c) To a car dealership.
(d) To their favorite park.
4. What did Eva and her sister have sewn into the pockets of their skirts when they sailed for Canada?
5. In her later life, who did Pani Orlovska write a book about?
(b) Helen Keller.
(c) Princess Grace.
(d) President Reagan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Alinka when her mother went to a sanatorium?
2. Where did the ship that Eva and her family emigrate to Canada on sail from?
3. How did Krysia describe her friendship to Eva in a poem?
4. What was a familiar arch in Cracow which functioned as a gateway to the old city?
5. How much younger was Eva's sister than her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What, according to Eva, threw an "odd light" on Pani Orlovska?
2. How was life on the ship to Canada like a family?
3. How did Eva feel about national pride?
4. Why did Eva's parents go to synagogue and practice religion?
5. What did Eva feel that she was being exiled from as she left Poland?
6. What was a sanatorium and why did Eva's mother have to go to a sanatorium for a while?
7. What changed in the friendship with Basia after she returned from the camp for young communists?
8. What was an apparatchik in Poland and who, according to Eva, was one? What did they do? What was their function in the political landscape?
9. Why did Eva consider the landing of the Batory the end of the narrative of her childhood?
10. Compare Krysia's adult life with Eva's. What were the differences? What were the similarities? How did you think they viewed each others lives?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)