|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the ship that Eva and her family emigrate to Canada on sail from?
2. What is unique about Orlovska's apartment that let Eva know that they had more money than her family?
(a) They had a maid's room.
(b) They had a 4th room.
(c) They had a "little salon."
(d) They had a separate kitchen.
3. What did Danuta Dombarska, the blond girl who lived in the next building in Poland want to be when she grew up?
(a) A politician.
(b) A park ranger.
(c) A saint.
(d) An actress.
4. What ship did Eva and her family sail on to Canada?
(a) Oh Canada!
(b) The Lusitania.
(c) The Titanic.
(d) The Batory.
5. What street did Eva and her family live on in Poland?
(a) Kazimierza Wielkiego.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Janek, the boy Eva met on the ship to Canada, meet as he leaves the ship?
2. What city did Eva and her parents get off the ship at when they arrived in Canada?
3. What did Eva's father use as a means of transportation in Poland?
4. What color were the goldfish at the pond that Eva and her parents often visited in Poland?
5. What did Eva's mother have an aversion to teaching her daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. For Eva's parents, what extra meaning did her birth have?
2. Compare Krysia's adult life with Eva's. What were the differences? What were the similarities? How did you think they viewed each others lives?
3. What was the difference between the books that Eva choose from the library and books she had to read in school in Poland?
4. How did Eva's mother view the idea of being lazy for women?
5. Why did Eva's parents go to synagogue and practice religion?
6. How did Eva gather memories before the family emigrated to Canada?
7. How did Eva feel about national pride?
8. What was Eva's education like in Poland? Do you think she was getting two different educations? How did the teachers help the students understand what was important?
9. Why did Eva consider the landing of the Batory the end of the narrative of her childhood?
10. What was an apparatchik in Poland and who, according to Eva, was one? What did they do? What was their function in the political landscape?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)