|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book did Eva's father read that gave him the initial idea to emigrate to Canada?
(a) Canada, the Land of Immigration.
(b) How to Emigate to the Americas.
(c) Oh Canada!
(d) Canada Fragrant with Resin.
2. How did Krysia describe her friendship to Eva in a poem?
(a) Like a weeping willow.
(b) Like a cold running river.
(c) Like a mountain.
(d) Like a coy pond.
3. In her later life, who did Pani Orlovska write a book about?
(a) Helen Keller.
(b) President Reagan.
(d) Princess Grace.
4. What city did Eva and her parents get off the ship at when they arrived in Canada?
5. What, according to Eva's mother, was a necessary part of a lady's equipment?
(a) A car.
(b) A husband.
(c) A vacuum.
(d) A maid.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Eva and Marek's first music teacher?
2. Who, at home, infused Eva and her sister with Christian teachings?
3. What kind of uniform did Eva wear to the Cracow Music School?
4. Other than a pianist, what did Eva declare that she would like to be when she grew up?
5. Where in New York did Eva meet somebody who knew her parents before the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What, according to the author, was middle class in the Poland of her childhood?
2. What did Eva feel that she was being exiled from as she left Poland?
3. What was an apparatchik in Poland and who, according to Eva, was one? What did they do? What was their function in the political landscape?
4. What was the difference between the books that Eva choose from the library and books she had to read in school in Poland?
5. How did Eva gather memories before the family emigrated to Canada?
6. Why was it important for Eva's mother to have a maid? What role did this maid play in her idea of what a homemaker was?
7. How was life on the ship to Canada like a family?
8. Why did Eva consider the landing of the Batory the end of the narrative of her childhood?
9. How did Eva's mother view the idea of being lazy for women?
10. How did Eva feel about national pride?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)