|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Eva's father hide his foreign currency?
(a) In the stove.
(b) Under a piece of the parquet floor.
(c) In a pipe in the ceiling.
(d) In a wall closet.
2. What happened to Alinka when her mother went to a sanatorium?
(a) She stays home with a maid.
(b) She went to a private establishment run by a governess and gets treated badly.
(c) She lives with Pani Ruta.
(d) She lives with a teacher from school.
3. How did Krysia describe her friendship to Eva in a poem?
(a) Like a cold running river.
(b) Like a weeping willow.
(c) Like a coy pond.
(d) Like a mountain.
4. What, according to Eva's mother, was a necessary part of a lady's equipment?
(a) A maid.
(b) A vacuum.
(c) A car.
(d) A husband.
5. What ship did Eva and her family sail on to Canada?
(a) The Titanic.
(b) Oh Canada!
(c) The Lusitania.
(d) The Batory.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year did prayers and religion classes begin in Polish schools?
2. What book did Eva's father read that gave him the initial idea to emigrate to Canada?
3. Who's son was Marek?
4. Where did Eva's mother take her every two weeks when she was a child that Eva described as being like Plato's cave or an Egyptian temple?
5. What was another word for "cuppings?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it important for Eva's mother to have a maid? What role did this maid play in her idea of what a homemaker was?
2. How did the author describe illness in Poland and illness in Canada? What were the differences between how children were treated when they had a cold or the flu in the two countries?
3. How was life on the ship to Canada like a family?
4. What was a sanatorium and why did Eva's mother have to go to a sanatorium for a while?
5. What was an apparatchik in Poland and who, according to Eva, was one? What did they do? What was their function in the political landscape?
6. Why did Eva consider the landing of the Batory the end of the narrative of her childhood?
7. What did Eva feel that she was being exiled from as she left Poland?
8. How did Pani Ruta live during the war and why was her family untouched by what was happening to the Jews?
9. How did Eva gather memories before the family emigrated to Canada?
10. Why did Eva's parents go to synagogue and practice religion?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)