|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Eva believe was the most important thing about speech?
(a) It was not helpful in communication.
(b) It could be sloppy and still understood.
(c) It was a class signifier.
(d) It was only good in Polish.
2. What cartoon did Eva and her mother just not understand?
(a) The Time Magazine cartoon.
(b) The television cartoons.
(c) The Vancouver Gazette cartoon.
(d) The New Yorker cartoon.
3. What game did most teenage parties devolve into that made Eva feel that she was among a strange tribe of adolescents?
(a) Mother May I?
(b) Spin the Bottle.
(c) Truth or Dare.
(d) Ring Around the Rosie.
4. What did Eva confide to Mrs. Steiner?
(a) That she didn't like her school.
(b) That her parents fought and argued.
(c) That bullies beat her up.
(d) That they had little money.
5. What was the Canadian version of McDonald's?
(b) Joe's Diner.
(c) White Castle.
(d) White Spot.
6. What kind of home did Eva's parents buy in Canada?
(a) A large brick house.
(b) A small "stucco" house.
(c) An ocean cottage.
(d) A two story lap-board house.
7. Vancouver's Board of Commerce claimed that Vancouver was the most beautiful city in the world after what city?
(c) Rio de Janeiro.
(d) New York.
8. Where was the Steiner's house in Vancouver?
(a) On top of the mountain.
(b) At the edge of the city.
(c) The harbor.
(d) On Harbor Rd.
9. How, according to Eva, did girls act in Canada when talking about boys?
10. What did Eva's teacher, Mr. Jones ask her about that only she could answer?
(a) Being a piano player.
(b) Having short hair.
(c) Being an immigrant.
(d) Living in a Communist country.
11. Who in Canada supervised Eva's musical progress?
(a) Mrs. Berg.
(b) Mrs. Steiner.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Mrs. Rubenstein.
12. On their trip to Vancouver, how much did four bowls of soup cost?
13. What did Penny's sister, Janet, try to do?
(a) Run away.
(b) Buy liquor.
(c) Kill herself.
(d) Sneak out to see a boy.
14. When Eva and Alina arrived at school, what was the first English word that they understood?
(c) Shut up or shuddup.
15. What language did Eva begin writing in when she began taking writing seriously?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which toothpaste did the Wydra's decide to use after seeing commercials?
2. Why couldn't Eva hear herself on the radio when she was interviewed at 14 years old?
3. What did Eva's father settle into for work in Canada?
4. What nationality was Eva's piano teacher in Canada?
5. What began to win Eva prizes at school in Canada?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)