|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Eva's mother tell the girls to do as they stepped on the soil in Vancouver?
(a) To gather dirt in their hands and keep it in a jar.
(b) To jump onto their new home soil.
(c) To step on the right foot for luck.
(d) To get a picture.
2. What was Mr. Ostropov involved in politically back in Russia?
(a) The War of '68.
(b) The Polish uprising.
(c) The Russian Revolution of 1905.
3. What did Eva's father settle into for work in Canada?
(a) He ran an antique store for fine antiques.
(b) He worked for a construction company.
(c) He collected and sold junk.
(d) He ran a diner.
4. Why was Alinka receiving more of a Jewish education in Canada than Eva?
(a) All Alinda's friends were Jewish.
(b) Alinka went to synagogue every Saturday.
(c) Alinka attended a Hebrew school.
(d) Eva and Alinka's parents were now practicing Jews.
5. Who in Canada supervised Eva's musical progress?
(a) Mrs. Berg.
(b) Mrs. Steiner.
(c) Mrs. Rubenstein.
(d) Her mother.
6. What did Eva believe was the most important thing about speech?
(a) It was not helpful in communication.
(b) It was only good in Polish.
(c) It was a class signifier.
(d) It could be sloppy and still understood.
7. When the Wydra's arrived in Canada, how far away were they from Vancouver in Eva's mind?
(a) 100 Miles.
(b) Very far away.
(c) A day away.
(d) Just over the mountains.
8. Vancouver's Board of Commerce claimed that Vancouver was the most beautiful city in the world after what city?
(c) Rio de Janeiro.
(d) New York.
9. What did Eva's sister do almost the entire trip from Montreal to Vancouver?
(a) Giggled nervously.
(c) Ran around and played.
10. Why couldn't Eva hear herself on the radio when she was interviewed at 14 years old?
(a) She didn't know how to find the radio station.
(b) Her mother thought she was on T.V.
(c) Her family didn't own a radio.
(d) She didn't understand that she was on the radio.
11. How did Mr. Ostropov show what he meant by "life?"
(a) Mozart's music.
(c) Bach exercises.
(d) Czerny exercises for the piano.
12. What theater troupe came to Vancouver to perform Macbeth?
(a) A group from Broadway.
(b) Old Vic.
(c) Yale Rep.
(d) London Troupe.
13. What are Eva and Alinka dressed in when they arrive in Vancouver?
(a) Their pajamas.
(b) Jeans and white shirts.
(c) Flower dresses and matching socks.
(d) Identical navy blue dresses with sailor collars.
14. Where did the Wydras live inside the house in which they stayed when they arrived in Vancouver?
(a) The basement.
(b) The attic.
(c) The "family" room.
(d) The spare bedroom.
15. What did Mrs. Steiner disapprove of that Eva's father did?
(a) He started a junk company.
(b) He quit his job at the lumber mill.
(c) He left his wife.
(d) He drank.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Eva think that the sliced cheese and bologna smelled like?
2. What, according to Eva and her parents, was the "big fear?"
3. What novel did John Fowles write that influenced Eva?
4. What did Eva confide to Mrs. Steiner?
5. What nationality was Eva's piano teacher in Canada?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)