|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Wydra's arrived in Canada, how far away were they from Vancouver in Eva's mind?
(a) A day away.
(b) Very far away.
(c) 100 Miles.
(d) Just over the mountains.
2. When Eva and Alina arrived at school, what was the first English word that they understood?
(b) Shut up or shuddup.
3. What did Eva's teacher, Mr. Jones ask her about that only she could answer?
(a) Having short hair.
(b) Living in a Communist country.
(c) Being an immigrant.
(d) Being a piano player.
4. How did Mr. Ostropov show what he meant by "life?"
(a) Czerny exercises for the piano.
(b) Mozart's music.
(c) Bach exercises.
5. What did Penny's sister, Janet, try to do?
(a) Kill herself.
(b) Sneak out to see a boy.
(c) Buy liquor.
(d) Run away.
6. Why was Alinka receiving more of a Jewish education in Canada than Eva?
(a) Alinka went to synagogue every Saturday.
(b) All Alinda's friends were Jewish.
(c) Alinka attended a Hebrew school.
(d) Eva and Alinka's parents were now practicing Jews.
7. What did Eva's sister do almost the entire trip from Montreal to Vancouver?
(b) Giggled nervously.
(d) Ran around and played.
8. Who did the Wydra's stay with when they arrived in Vancouver?
(a) The Steiner family.
(b) A Synagogue.
(c) The Berg family.
(d) The Rosenberg family.
9. What did Eva believe was the most important thing about speech?
(a) It was not helpful in communication.
(b) It was only good in Polish.
(c) It was a class signifier.
(d) It could be sloppy and still understood.
10. What novel did John Fowles write that influenced Eva?
(a) The Grid.
(b) America's Tastes.
(c) The Ebony Tower.
(d) Polish Immigrants.
11. What theater troupe came to Vancouver to perform Macbeth?
(a) London Troupe.
(b) A group from Broadway.
(c) Yale Rep.
(d) Old Vic.
12. What did Eva's mother tell the girls to do as they stepped on the soil in Vancouver?
(a) To jump onto their new home soil.
(b) To gather dirt in their hands and keep it in a jar.
(c) To get a picture.
(d) To step on the right foot for luck.
13. What two popular shows on T.V. did the men go to the den to watch during parties in Canada?
(a) Friends and I Love Lucy.
(b) I Love Lucy and Bonanza.
(c) The Lawrence Welk Show and the Ed Sullivan Show.
(d) Father Knows Best and the Ed Sullivan Show.
14. Where did Eva decide to attend college for her undergraduate degree?
(a) Rice University in Houston, TX.
(d) Chicago School for the Arts.
15. What could Eva NOT afford to do at Christmas when she was in college?
(a) To rent an apartment.
(b) Afford the trip home.
(c) Buy Christmas gifts for her Christian friends.
(d) To buy a car.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game did most teenage parties devolve into that made Eva feel that she was among a strange tribe of adolescents?
2. What was Vancouver's shopping mecca?
3. What began to win Eva prizes at school in Canada?
4. Where was the photograph taken about a year after the Wydra's arrived in Canada?
5. What was the address where the Wydra's first lived in Vancouver written on the "I'm lost" card?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)