|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the Wydra's travel from the Canadian port city to Vancouver?
(a) By car.
(b) By ship.
(c) By plane.
(d) By train.
2. What was the address where the Wydra's first lived in Vancouver written on the "I'm lost" card?
(a) 1785 Granville Street.
(b) 1785 Pioneer Street.
(c) 4848 Circle Drive.
(d) 6845 Twin Peaks Ave.
3. Just before leaving for college, how did Eva describe herself?
(a) Lost between two worlds.
(b) Like a mosaic made of up fragments, but still an immigrant.
(c) Lost between two languages.
(d) Like a lost soul.
4. What did the teacher in Vancouver decide to call Alina because she could not pronounce her name?
5. Where was the photograph taken about a year after the Wydra's arrived in Canada?
(a) In the back yard of their home.
(b) In front of a museum.
(c) By the ocean.
(d) In the mountains.
6. What was Vancouver's shopping mecca?
(a) The outlet mall.
(b) Crest Bay.
(c) Old Navy.
(d) Hudson Bay.
7. What kind of home did Eva's parents buy in Canada?
(a) A small "stucco" house.
(b) An ocean cottage.
(c) A large brick house.
(d) A two story lap-board house.
8. What two popular shows on T.V. did the men go to the den to watch during parties in Canada?
(a) The Lawrence Welk Show and the Ed Sullivan Show.
(b) Friends and I Love Lucy.
(c) I Love Lucy and Bonanza.
(d) Father Knows Best and the Ed Sullivan Show.
9. Where did the Wydras live inside the house in which they stayed when they arrived in Vancouver?
(a) The basement.
(b) The spare bedroom.
(c) The "family" room.
(d) The attic.
10. Vancouver's Board of Commerce claimed that Vancouver was the most beautiful city in the world after what city?
(a) Rio de Janeiro.
(c) New York.
11. What did Eva and Alinka discuss on their way home from school as they dawdled along Main Street?
(a) The problems with their mom and dad.
(c) Other Jewish families in Vancouver.
(d) Tupperware or a blouse or an embroidered collar -- things in the store windows.
12. What did Penny give Eva for her birthday that got her writing juices flowing?
(a) A typewriter.
(b) A diary.
(d) A blank notebook.
13. How, according to Eva, did girls act in Canada when talking about boys?
14. What did Eva believe was the most important thing about speech?
(a) It could be sloppy and still understood.
(b) It was only good in Polish.
(c) It was not helpful in communication.
(d) It was a class signifier.
15. After traveling to America, what did Eva declare was the capitol of the United States?
(a) New York.
(c) Los Angeles.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Eva saw a black man on her travels to Vancouver, who did she think he looked like?
2. Which toothpaste did the Wydra's decide to use after seeing commercials?
3. Who were the favorite singers among Eva's parent's friends in Canada?
4. What theater troupe came to Vancouver to perform Macbeth?
5. What novel did John Fowles write that influenced Eva?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)