|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ship did Eva and her family sail on to Canada?
(a) The Titanic.
(b) The Batory.
(c) Oh Canada!
(d) The Lusitania.
2. Other than a pianist, what did Eva declare that she would like to be when she grew up?
(a) An actress.
(b) An engineer.
(c) A writer.
(d) A mother.
3. Who refused to leave the ship and meet her new husband when the ship reached Canada?
(b) Pani Ruta.
4. What did Danuta Dombarska, the blond girl who lived in the next building in Poland want to be when she grew up?
(a) A saint.
(b) A politician.
(c) An actress.
(d) A park ranger.
5. What was commonly known about Dr. Orlovski that his wife overlooked?
(a) He has a permanent mistress.
(b) He spends too much money.
(c) He is ugly.
(d) He does not smell good.
6. What, according to Eva's mother, was a necessary part of a lady's equipment?
(a) A vacuum.
(b) A maid.
(c) A car.
(d) A husband.
7. In the winter, how did Eva's mother transport her to school?
(a) On a motorcycle.
(b) In a car.
(c) On a bicycle.
(d) On a toboggan.
8. Who owns the houses in the locations where Eva's family vacations when she is young in Poland?
(b) An Italian couple.
(c) A French gentleman.
9. What did Eva's father use as a means of transportation in Poland?
(a) A bicycle.
(b) A scooter.
(c) A car.
(d) A motorcycle.
10. Who asked Eva to dance on board the ship coming to Canada?
(a) The captain.
(d) Her father.
11. Who died in 1956 on a visit to Moscow?
(a) President Reagan.
(b) President DeGaul.
(c) President Eisenhower.
(d) Poland's president, Bierut.
12. Where was the first place the ship stopped when reaching Canada?
(d) New York.
13. What did Eva and her sister have sewn into the pockets of their skirts when they sailed for Canada?
14. What did Eva play for her first public piano performance?
15. What is unique about Orlovska's apartment that let Eva know that they had more money than her family?
(a) They had a separate kitchen.
(b) They had a "little salon."
(c) They had a maid's room.
(d) They had a 4th room.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Eva's mother and father prefer her to dress when in Poland?
2. Where did Eva's father hide his foreign currency?
3. Who was Eva and Marek's first music teacher?
4. Who was Eva's mother's best friend?
5. What happened to Alinka when her mother went to a sanatorium?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)