|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who, at home, infused Eva and her sister with Christian teachings?
(a) Their mother.
(b) Pani Ruta.
(c) Their father.
(d) The maids.
2. Where was the first place the ship stopped when reaching Canada?
(c) New York.
3. Where in New York did Eva meet somebody who knew her parents before the war?
(a) A work.
(b) At a dinner party.
(c) In Times Square.
(d) In the Union Square cafeteria.
4. What color were the goldfish at the pond that Eva and her parents often visited in Poland?
5. Who asked Eva to dance on board the ship coming to Canada?
(b) The captain.
(c) Her father.
6. What, according to Eva's mother, was a necessary part of a lady's equipment?
(a) A car.
(b) A maid.
(c) A husband.
(d) A vacuum.
7. Other than a pianist, what did Eva declare that she would like to be when she grew up?
(a) A mother.
(b) An actress.
(c) An engineer.
(d) A writer.
8. Who's son was Marek?
(a) Pani Ruta's.
(c) Ciocia Bronia.
(d) Pani Grodzinska.
9. How much younger was Eva's sister than her?
(a) 8 years.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 16 months.
(d) 4 years.
10. Where did the ship that Eva and her family emigrate to Canada on sail from?
11. Who was Eva's mother's best friend?
(a) Pani Judith.
(b) Pani Clois.
(c) Pani Ovantrain.
(d) Pani Ruta.
12. Who was Eva's sister named after?
(a) A relative in Israel.
(b) Her mother's sister.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) A maid.
13. How old was Eva when her family sailed for Canada?
(a) 22 years old.
(b) 19 years old.
(c) 13 years old.
(d) 16 years old.
14. What did Krysia's mother call her because she recoiled from being hugged?
(a) A shark.
(b) A porcupine.
(c) A goat.
(d) A skunk.
15. Who did Janek, the boy Eva met on the ship to Canada, meet as he leaves the ship?
(a) His father.
(b) His boss.
(c) His mother.
(d) His aunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, according to the author, was the language of money and secrets?
2. What did Krysia's older brother study in school?
3. In her later life, who did Pani Orlovska write a book about?
4. When little Eva worried about her parents fighting, what did her father tell her about their marriage that soothed Eva's worries?
5. What happened to Alinka when her mother went to a sanatorium?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)