|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Eva go to Christian church with when she was young?
(a) Her mother and father.
(c) Her maid.
(d) Her sister.
2. What is unique about Orlovska's apartment that let Eva know that they had more money than her family?
(a) They had a 4th room.
(b) They had a separate kitchen.
(c) They had a "little salon."
(d) They had a maid's room.
3. What did the brass band play as the ship left the harbor when Eva's family sailed for Canada?
(a) The Polish National Anthem.
(b) Mulberry's Dance.
(c) Goodbye, My Sweet.
(d) The Canadian National Anthem.
4. Who asked Eva to dance on board the ship coming to Canada?
(c) Her father.
(d) The captain.
5. What city did Eva and her parents get off the ship at when they arrived in Canada?
6. How did Eva's mother and father prefer her to dress when in Poland?
(a) In "sports outfits" meaning shorts or long pants.
(b) In colorful clothes.
(c) In clothes that are too large.
(d) In fancy dresses.
7. How old was Eva when her family sailed for Canada?
(a) 22 years old.
(b) 19 years old.
(c) 16 years old.
(d) 13 years old.
8. What did Danuta Dombarska, the blond girl who lived in the next building in Poland want to be when she grew up?
(a) A politician.
(b) A saint.
(c) An actress.
(d) A park ranger.
9. What kind of facade did the synagogue in Poland have?
10. Who refused to leave the ship and meet her new husband when the ship reached Canada?
(a) Pani Ruta.
11. What did Krysia's mother call her because she recoiled from being hugged?
(a) A goat.
(b) A skunk.
(c) A porcupine.
(d) A shark.
12. What did Eva and her sister have sewn into the pockets of their skirts when they sailed for Canada?
13. When Eva's mother became ill and had to go to a sanatorium, where did Eva go to stay?
(a) With her sister.
(b) With her aunt.
(c) With Marek and his family.
(d) To an orphanage.
14. What happened to Alinka when her mother went to a sanatorium?
(a) She stays home with a maid.
(b) She went to a private establishment run by a governess and gets treated badly.
(c) She lives with Pani Ruta.
(d) She lives with a teacher from school.
15. Who did Janek, the boy Eva met on the ship to Canada, meet as he leaves the ship?
(a) His aunt.
(b) His boss.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, according to the author, was the language of money and secrets?
2. What street did Eva and her family live on in Poland?
3. What body of water did the ship sail down after it reached the coast of Canada?
4. Where did Eva's family take vacations when she was young in Poland?
5. Who was Eva's mother's best friend?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)