|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Marek tell Eva's father before his family left Poland?
(a) He wanted to join the military in Isreal.
(b) That they had to move to Isreal because Eva was supposed to be his wife.
(c) They must leave for America soon.
(d) He wanted to marry Eva and come to Canada.
2. What year did prayers and religion classes begin in Polish schools?
3. According to the woman who Eva met in New York who knew her parents before the war, how did Eva's father save Eva's mother after she had a miscarriage?
(a) He cared for her at home.
(b) He carried her on his back to safety.
(c) He sent her to her mother's.
(d) He transported her on a motorcycle.
4. Where did Eva and her family go on an autumn afternoon in 1958?
(a) To a demonstration.
(b) To their favorite park.
(c) To the Bergs' house.
(d) To a car dealership.
5. In her later life, who did Pani Orlovska write a book about?
(a) President Reagan.
(b) Helen Keller.
(c) Princess Grace.
6. When Eva's mother became ill and had to go to a sanatorium, where did Eva go to stay?
(a) To an orphanage.
(b) With Marek and his family.
(c) With her aunt.
(d) With her sister.
7. What did Krysia's older brother study in school?
8. What did Danuta Dombarska, the blond girl who lived in the next building in Poland want to be when she grew up?
(a) An actress.
(b) A politician.
(c) A park ranger.
(d) A saint.
9. Who's son was Marek?
(b) Pani Ruta's.
(c) Pani Grodzinska.
(d) Ciocia Bronia.
10. What did Krysia's mother call her because she recoiled from being hugged?
(a) A skunk.
(b) A goat.
(c) A porcupine.
(d) A shark.
11. What, according to the author, was the language of money and secrets?
12. Who was Eva's sister named after?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) A maid.
(c) Her mother's sister.
(d) A relative in Israel.
13. How old was Eva when her family sailed for Canada?
(a) 16 years old.
(b) 19 years old.
(c) 22 years old.
(d) 13 years old.
14. Who did Eva go to Christian church with when she was young?
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her maid.
(d) Her mother and father.
15. When little Eva worried about her parents fighting, what did her father tell her about their marriage that soothed Eva's worries?
(a) "Your mother just isn't bright."
(b) "Our marriage is as strong as the Chinese Wall."
(c) "I never should have married your mother."
(d) "I'm the man of the house."
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a familiar arch in Cracow which functioned as a gateway to the old city?
2. What did Eva and her sister have sewn into the pockets of their skirts when they sailed for Canada?
3. Who was Eva and Marek's first music teacher?
4. What color were the goldfish at the pond that Eva and her parents often visited in Poland?
5. What body of water did the ship sail down after it reached the coast of Canada?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)