|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Eva's mother and father prefer her to dress when in Poland?
(a) In clothes that are too large.
(b) In fancy dresses.
(c) In colorful clothes.
(d) In "sports outfits" meaning shorts or long pants.
2. Where was the first place the ship stopped when reaching Canada?
(b) New York.
3. In Eva's Poland apartment, what was the "second" room?
(a) The maid's room.
(b) A bedroom for Eva's parents.
(c) A bedroom for Eva and her sister.
(d) Eva's sisters room.
4. Other than a pianist, what did Eva declare that she would like to be when she grew up?
(a) A mother.
(b) An actress.
(c) A writer.
(d) An engineer.
5. When did Eva's family attend synagogue in Poland?
(a) Every Saturday.
(b) Four times a year on Holidays.
(c) Every Friday evening.
(d) Once a year on the High Holidays.
6. How did Krysia describe her friendship to Eva in a poem?
(a) Like a coy pond.
(b) Like a cold running river.
(c) Like a weeping willow.
(d) Like a mountain.
7. What did Krysia's older brother study in school?
8. What did Pani Orlovska tell Eva she should wash her face with to have a good complexion?
(b) Laundry soap.
9. Where did Eva's father hide his foreign currency?
(a) In a wall closet.
(b) In a pipe in the ceiling.
(c) Under a piece of the parquet floor.
(d) In the stove.
10. What Polish word was the best compliment that a school exercise could receive and means "dash, inspiration and flying?"
11. What book did Eva's father read that gave him the initial idea to emigrate to Canada?
(a) Canada, the Land of Immigration.
(b) Canada Fragrant with Resin.
(c) How to Emigate to the Americas.
(d) Oh Canada!
12. When little Eva worried about her parents fighting, what did her father tell her about their marriage that soothed Eva's worries?
(a) "I'm the man of the house."
(b) "Your mother just isn't bright."
(c) "Our marriage is as strong as the Chinese Wall."
(d) "I never should have married your mother."
13. What is unique about Orlovska's apartment that let Eva know that they had more money than her family?
(a) They had a separate kitchen.
(b) They had a "little salon."
(c) They had a 4th room.
(d) They had a maid's room.
14. What did Danuta Dombarska, the blond girl who lived in the next building in Poland want to be when she grew up?
(a) A politician.
(b) A saint.
(c) An actress.
(d) A park ranger.
15. Where did the ship that Eva and her family emigrate to Canada on sail from?
Short Answer Questions
1. What, according to Eva's mother, was a necessary part of a lady's equipment?
2. How old was Eva when her family sailed for Canada?
3. What did the brass band play as the ship left the harbor when Eva's family sailed for Canada?
4. How much younger was Eva's sister than her?
5. According to the woman who Eva met in New York who knew her parents before the war, how did Eva's father save Eva's mother after she had a miscarriage?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)