Part 1, Paradise
• Part One, Paradise
• Eva stands on the upper deck of the Batory as the family prepares to leave their home in Poland and emigrate to Canada.
• There is excitement and mourning for the 13-year-old Eva.
• Alinka, Eva's nine-year-old sister, barely knows what is happening.
• The family is forbidden to take much from Poland.
• The officials search the parents, but not the girls who have silverware sewn into their dresses.
• The only thing Eva can think about is leaving behind Kraków, the only place she has ever known.
• The new country, Canada, is a foreign entity of which Eva knows nothing.
• Canada was chosen because Eva's father had read a book called "Canada, Fragrant with Resin" during the time when he had to hide from the Nazis.
• Although Eva's life in Kraków was not nearly as idyllic, it was still her own version of Eden...
This section contains 2,550 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)