|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Zinkoff spent most of his life, before he goes to school?
2. Why did Mrs. Biswell become a teacher?
3. How far away is the school from Zinkoff's house?
4. What is Zinkoff's sister's name?
5. What makes the children giggle at Zinkoff on his first day at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Zinkoff feel like the Waiting Man?
2. Why does Zinkoff cry when he leaves Willow Drive?
3. How is Mr. Yalowitz different from all the other teachers Zinkoff has had?
4. Why are Zinkoff's differences suddenly noticed in the 4th grade?
5. What does Zinkoff wonder as he goes to bed after his first day at school?
6. What does Zinkoff practice after his first soccer game?
7. What is unusual about Zinkoff's first time leaving his home alone?
8. What does Zinkoff play in orchestra, and why?
9. When does the narrator say Zinkoff is most profoundly discovered?
10. What does Mrs. Zinkoff call her husband's car, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Miss Meeks and Mrs. Biswell are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences. Using the text to cite some support and, write a compare/contrast essay about these two teachers.
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Belonging and security were two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which characters were most motivated by them?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)