|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon learning of the attack on Dain Waris' camp, what order does the first person to hear the news give?
2. When the attack on Dain Waris' camp begins, where is the man who runs to shore fatally shot?
3. On her deathbed, who does Jewel's mother try to prevent from entering her room?
4. According to Marlow, justice does not hold the balance. What does?
5. Jim and Jewel greet each other the same way each time they see each other. What does Jewel say to Jim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cornelius wears different masks in the story. Both a great competent and loyal Stein employee and the ultimate betrayer of Lord Jim, Cornelius is a study in contradictions. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides of Cornelius. How would his plan for betraying Jim have been affected had he not carried out his loyal employee identity? Why is it necessary for Cornelius to wear different masks?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following people in the story: Marlow, Jim, Cornelius, and Stein.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Marlow with Stein.
a. How are the two characters similar in terms of their professional lives? How are they different?
b. How are the two characters similar in their personality characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses? How are they different?
c. Looking forward, how might their experiences with Jim have affected each of these men as they moved forward with their lives? Would they be similarly affected or not? Explain your answers and your reasoning.
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)