|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Brown's man shot while attempting to sneak onto the boat to retrieve some tobacco?
2. Where does Jim order his attackers to go after the attempt on his life is foiled?
3. As Jim is returning to Patusan, what does Cornelius say regarding Jim to Gentleman Brown?
4. Who gives the signal for the attackers to begin their assassination attempt on Jim?
5. The night of the assassination attempt, what does Jewel ask Jim to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the groups of people trying to gain control of Patusan. Compare and contrast these groups in terms of overall number, organization, overall motivation, ability to plan, and success achieved. How are they similar? How are they different? Does any one group of people actually end up controlling Patusan? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
In contrast to Jim's typical running away behavior, there were three instances in the story in which Jim refused to run away.
a. Identify the three times that Jim refused to run away.
b. Describe the situation surrounding each of these situations, as well as Jim's reasons and motivation for staying.
c. Examine how both the plot and Jim's character develop with each of these refusals to run. Support your answer with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Jim and Cornelius.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. How is each character affected by their perceived self-worth - both positively and negatively?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)