|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Doramin's son?
2. How long does Jim reside in the place he chooses after leaving Doramin's place?
3. What kind of ship finds the listing Patna?
4. What does Jim feel he can obtain by going to the place suggested by Stein and Marlow?
5. After traveling throughout the land with a famous Dutch traveler, where does Stein eventually make his home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the situation Jewel revealed to Marlow regarding her mother's actions on her deathbed.
2. Marlow insists Jim take something with him on his journey. What is the object and why does the gift not work out as Marlow intends?
3. After learning through Marlow of Brierly's offer to give Jim a "loan" if he flees from the inquiry, how does Jim react, and why?
4. Why does Kassim, while in discussions with Brown, send word to Dain Waris regarding Brown's impending arrival?
5. Even though Jim feels unworthy and thinks of himself as a coward, why is he superior to many other men?
6. Why is Tamb' Itam reluctant to carry out Jim's orders to pursue Brown?
7. Why do the four men in the lifeboat assume that the Patna sinks?
8. When Marlow and Stein meet, Marlow describes Jim to Stein. After hearing Marlow's account of Jim, how does Stein classify Jim and what question does Stein present to Marlow?
9. As Jim and Marlow part, Jim's mood is gloomy. Why?
10. Why is the letter from Jim's father significant in explaining why Jim feels he can never go home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cornelius wears different masks in the story. Both a great competent and loyal Stein employee and the ultimate betrayer of Lord Jim, Cornelius is a study in contradictions. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides of Cornelius. How would his plan for betraying Jim have been affected had he not carried out his loyal employee identity? Why is it necessary for Cornelius to wear different masks?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Marlow with Stein.
a. How are the two characters similar in terms of their professional lives? How are they different?
b. How are the two characters similar in their personality characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses? How are they different?
c. Looking forward, how might their experiences with Jim have affected each of these men as they moved forward with their lives? Would they be similarly affected or not? Explain your answers and your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following people in the story: Marlow, Jim, Cornelius, and Stein.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)