|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Stein born?
2. What does Jim reveal to Marlow during their face-to-face meeting that Jim truly desires?
3. When Jim and his men attack the stockade, who breaks through first?
4. While the captain is trying to free the lifeboat and abandon his ship, what are the passengers doing?
5. How long does Jim clutch the tiller in an attempt to avoid being thrown off of the lifeboat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Marlow is amazed that Jim drinks the coffee offered to him by Allang. Why is Marlow amazed and how does Jim respond?
2. Brown reveals to Jim the two options he would like Jim to select from in dealing with Brown. What are those two options?
3. Why does Jewel not believe Jim when he insists that he will never leave her?
4. What does Brown realize when he and Jim first meet?
5. Why does Jim not regret being left behind when the cutter of boys is launched to rescue the crew members of the stricken schooner?
6. Why does Kassim, while in discussions with Brown, send word to Dain Waris regarding Brown's impending arrival?
7. What is the main object of Marlow's visit to see Jim in Patusan?
8. Describe what Jim's incarceration was like before he made his escape.
9. According to Jim's confession to Marlow, why does Jim refuse to run away from the inquiry?
10. Why do the four men in the lifeboat assume that the Patna sinks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The entire story takes place primarily in several different locations. Compare and contrast each of the following locations in the story - aboard the Patna, at the inquiry, in the hotel with Marlow, and in Patusan. Be sure to include how the characters are treated in each of these locations, as well as how they live and interact with each other. Of the four above locations in the story, which location would you most prefer to live in and why?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how the relationship between Jim and Jewel changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of the couple's relationship when the two first meet, when Jewel seeks reassurance from Marlow, when Jim "abandons" Jewel (and Jewel ends up at Stein's house with Tamb' Itam), and just before Jim is killed at the end of the story. What major theme in the novel is showcased through the development of their relationship? Explain and support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Both Cornelius and Gentleman Brown seek to do Jim harm. Compare and contrast these two evil characters. Be sure to discuss their motivations, character qualities, personal history with Jim, and tools at their disposal. Which of these two characters causes greater harm and/or heartache for Jim? Explain your answer.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)