|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One night, Cornelius approaches Jim with an offer to get Jim safe passage away from Patusan. How much does Cornelius offer to charge Jim?
2. After taking part in the revolutionary movement, with whom does Stein find refuge?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A watchmaker.
(c) A bartender.
(d) A ship's captain.
3. What is the name of the principal shipping master?
(a) John Elliot.
(b) Archie Ruthvel.
(c) Harry Gustav.
(d) Robert Marlow.
4. What is the name of the native chief that Jim will meet?
5. How many passengers are on the Patna before the incident under inquiry occurs?
(a) 50 people.
(b) 800 people.
(c) 570 people.
(d) 425 people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stein collect?
2. What is the name of the nautical assessor who is presiding over the inquiry and who captains a steel steamer?
3. When Marlow thinks Jim is contemplating suicide while standing out on his balcony, what does Marlow think suicide would be for Jim?
4. How many years elapse after Jim first leaves for Patusan and when Marlow is first able to visit Jim?
5. What is the name of the woman Jim falls in love with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Brown and his crew are able to escape from their Spanish captors.
2. After completing his training, Jim goes to sea and takes part in a number of voyages, yet he is still unsatisfied. Why?
3. After learning through Marlow of Brierly's offer to give Jim a "loan" if he flees from the inquiry, how does Jim react, and why?
4. Why are none of the passengers informed of the ship's accident?
5. Why does Brown attack Dain Waris' camp?
6. What are the rumors that are circulating amongst the villagers after Dain Waris' camp has been attacked?
7. When Marlow and Stein meet, Marlow describes Jim to Stein. After hearing Marlow's account of Jim, how does Stein classify Jim and what question does Stein present to Marlow?
8. Marlow is amazed that Jim drinks the coffee offered to him by Allang. Why is Marlow amazed and how does Jim respond?
9. What does Brown realize when he and Jim first meet?
10. What are the two options that Jim gives to Brown during their meeting?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)