|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once the survivors arrive in port, where does the captain immediately go?
(a) To the harbor office.
(b) To the company's office.
(c) To the post office.
(d) To the nearest bar.
2. What is the name of the man who meets Jim and tells him that the Rajah wants to see him?
3. How much time elapses between when the ship has its accident and when Jim finds himself at the official inquiry into the incident?
(a) Ten days.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) One month.
(d) Three months.
4. For how many days is Jim held prisoner before his successful escape?
5. How long does Jim clutch the tiller in an attempt to avoid being thrown off of the lifeboat?
(a) Two hours.
(b) Ten hours.
(c) Six hours.
(d) Three hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jim and his men attack the stockade, who breaks through first?
2. What two items does Jim return from Stein's house with?
3. How many people are aboard Chester's ship when it leaves the Australian port and steams into the Pacific Ocean?
4. As the captain is trying to free the lifeboat and abandon his ship, what does Jim notice off in the distance?
5. What does Jim discover in the forepeak of the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Marlow insists Jim take something with him on his journey. What is the object and why does the gift not work out as Marlow intends?
2. According to Jim, why can he never go home again?
3. How is Jim's situation in passing judgment on Brown's crew an ironic twist in the story?
4. When Cornelius sees Marlow shortly after Marlow's fight with Jewel, what does Cornelius ask Marlow to speak with Jim about?
5. Why is Tamb' Itam reluctant to carry out Jim's orders to pursue Brown?
6. Why are none of the passengers informed of the ship's accident?
7. While standing watch just before the captain and engineer begin yelling at each other, what is Jim thinking about?
8. Brown reveals to Jim the two options he would like Jim to select from in dealing with Brown. What are those two options?
9. Why does Brown attack Dain Waris' camp?
10. After it becomes clear to Jim that neither accounts nor money would result from his staying in Cornelius' house, why does Jim remain?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)