|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jim discover in the forepeak of the ship?
2. What is the name of the West Australian man who is looking for Jim?
3. What is the name of the native chief that Jim will meet?
4. In the story's opening chapter, what is Jim's occupation?
(a) A store owner.
(b) A ship builder.
(c) A handyman.
(d) A water clerk.
5. How long does Jim's sailing training last?
(a) Two years.
(b) Twelve months.
(c) Twenty-four months.
(d) Eighteen months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the nautical assessor who is presiding over the inquiry and who captains a steel steamer?
2. What is the name of the woman Jim falls in love with?
3. On Marlow's next trip to the region where Jim is working with the ship-chandlers, what does Marlow learn?
4. What is the name of the passing steamer that picks up the four crew members after they abandon their ship?
5. In his room while writing letters for Jim, what does Marlow expect to hear when Jim steps out on the balcony?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Marlow initially angered by Jim's reactions during the official inquiry into the Patna incident?
2. How does Brown learn of the situation in Patusan and why does it matter to Brown?
3. Marlow insists Jim take something with him on his journey. What is the object and why does the gift not work out as Marlow intends?
4. As Jim confesses to Marlow when he relates the story of the assassination attempt, why can Jim not imagine living anywhere but Patusan?
5. Why does Jim insist on cutting the lifeboats free from their moorings before he abandons the ship?
6. When Jewel claims Jim is false, she is told by another person that she is mistaken. What does this person claim?
7. After attacking Sherif Ali's compound, the men only engage in hand-to-hand combat for five minutes. Why?
8. What clues are given through Jim's thoughts and actions that support the notion that Jim has not forgiven himself for his actions aboard the Patna?
9. According to Jim's confession to Marlow, why does Jim refuse to run away from the inquiry?
10. As Jim and Marlow part, Jim's mood is gloomy. Why?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)