|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Marlow will not reveal Jim's secrets to Jewel, what does Jewel do?
(a) Curses Marlow.
(b) Bursts into tears.
(c) Runs to Cornelius.
(d) Throws a glass at Marlow.
2. Who gives the signal for the attackers to begin their assassination attempt on Jim?
(a) Sherif Ali.
(c) Cornelius' stepdaughter.
3. According to Marlow, justice does not hold the balance. What does?
4. How many of Brown's men are wounded in the fight as Brown's men attempt to land at Batu Kring?
5. As the two men meet, the suggestion is made that Jim and Brown talk as equals because, as it's pointed out to them, all men are equal. What are all men equal before?
6. Where does Jim order his attackers to go after the attempt on his life is foiled?
(a) To the river.
(b) To the house.
(c) To the jail.
(d) To the ship.
7. What is included in the packet that is revealed in Chapter 36?
(a) The final inquiry transcripts.
(b) The last will and testament of Lord Jim.
(c) The last will and testament of Jim's father.
(d) The last events of Jim's story.
8. When Jim and his attackers reach their destination, what does Jim order his attackers to do?
(a) Jump into the river.
(b) Turn themselves into the authorities.
(c) Go below deck.
(d) Sit back to back in the kitchen.
9. As the two travelers part, what do they do?
(a) Simply walk away.
(b) Shake hands.
(d) Promise to write.
10. Why does Jim know there is something in Jim's past that he has not told her?
(a) Jewel wonders at Jim's arrival in Patusan.
(b) Jewel overhears Marlow and Cornelius talking.
(c) Jewel feels Jim is haunted by it.
(d) Jewel hears rumors from the natives.
11. Who gives the order to attack the invaders that are attempting to land at Batu Kring?
(c) Tamb' Itam.
(d) Dain Waris.
12. Before leaving Marlow's presence, what does Jewel try to learn from Marlow?
(a) Information about Jim's wealth.
(c) Information about Jim's past.
(d) Reassurance that Jim will never leave.
13. According to Marlow, when does Jim receive the old, yellow letter?
(a) A few days before the inquiry.
(b) A few days before the Patna voyage.
(c) A few days before the assassination attempt.
(d) A few days before meeting De Jongh.
14. Where is Jim when he hears about the attack on Dain Waris' camp?
(a) In Cornelius's house.
(b) In his sleeping chambers.
(c) In his kitchen.
(d) In church.
15. When Jim arrives just after Marlow has refused to reveal Jim's past to Jewel, why do Jim and Marlow not talk?
(a) Jewel refuses to let the two men alone.
(b) Jewel runs crying into Jim's arms.
(c) Marlow has gone to his room.
(d) Marlow has slipped away in the dark.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of Brown's men killed the ship keepers aboard the schooner that Brown stole?
2. Who is guiding the boat with Brown and his men on board as the men make their way towards their ship?
3. How many members of Brown's crew come ashore in the hopes of catching the natives unaware?
4. Who orders the sniper attack that kills a villager?
5. At the time the natives attack the invaders that are attempting to land at Batu Kring, how long has Jim been away?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)