|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Brown and his crew reach Patusan, where does the ship drop anchor?
(a) Off Madrid.
(b) Off Batu Kring.
(c) Off Zamboanga.
(d) Off Patusan's north shore.
2. Before leaving Marlow's presence, what does Jewel try to learn from Marlow?
(b) Information about Jim's wealth.
(c) Reassurance that Jim will never leave.
(d) Information about Jim's past.
3. When the two travelers part, the person accompanying Marlow asks when they shall meet again. What is Marlow's response?
(a) In three months.
(c) In December.
(d) Next week.
4. After meeting with Brown, whom does Jim immediately go to see?
(a) Tamb' Itam.
5. Who has assembled the packet that is revealed in Chapter 36?
(d) Jim's father.
6. When Brown first spies Jim after Jim returns to the village, what is Jim wearing?
(a) A white suit and a shield.
(b) A black suit and a helmet.
(c) A black suit and a shield.
(d) A white suit and a helmet.
7. How is Cornelius' reaction characterized when Marlow tells Cornelius that Jim will never leave Patusan?
8. How many times is Brown's man shot while attempting to sneak onto the boat to retrieve some tobacco?
9. Which one of Brown's men killed the ship keepers aboard the schooner that Brown stole?
(a) The Solomon islander.
(b) The Solomon solider.
(c) The Spanish soldier.
(d) The Spanish islander.
10. When Brown first meets Jim, what is Brown immediately jealous of?
(a) Jim's shield.
(b) Jim's helmet.
(c) Jim's clothes.
(d) Jim's youth.
11. Where is Jim when he hears about the attack on Dain Waris' camp?
(a) In his sleeping chambers.
(b) In church.
(c) In his kitchen.
(d) In Cornelius's house.
12. Who accompanies Marlow on the first leg of his journey back to the "real world" from Patusan?
13. What does Jewel reveal when she is at Stein's home with Tamb' Itam?
(a) That Jim has been killed.
(b) That Jim has left.
(c) That Jim has proposed.
(d) That Jim has been arrested.
14. Who eventually kills Cornelius?
(a) Dain Waris.
(b) Tamb' Itam.
15. What is the initial plan that Brown devises upon his arrival in Patusan that is designed to cow and terrify the population?
(a) Setting fire to the village.
(b) Capturing the villager's women.
(c) Stabbing the village chiefs.
(d) Murdering Jim in the village square.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the girl asserts that Jim is false while she is visiting Stein's home with Tamb' Itam, who rallies to Jim's defense?
2. Why is Jim afraid that the natives will learn of his past?
3. What does Jim see in the storehouse that convinces him that this attempt on his life is not a false alarm, but is, in fact, real?
4. Who orders the sniper attack that kills a villager?
5. Upon Jim's return to Patusan, where do Jim and Brown meet?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)