|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On Marlow's next trip to the region where Jim is working with the ship-chandlers, what does Marlow learn?
(a) That Jim has stolen from the ship-chandlers.
(b) That Jim has been killed.
(c) That Jim has bought his own ship.
(d) That Jim has run away once again.
2. What does Jim reveal to Marlow during their face-to-face meeting that Jim truly desires?
(a) For Marlow's friendship to continue.
(b) For Marlow's friend to forgive him.
(c) For his past to be buried.
(d) For his past to be revealed.
3. How long does Jim reside in the place he chooses after leaving Doramin's place?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Ten weeks.
(c) Four weeks.
(d) Six weeks.
4. What is the name of the ship that Jim takes the job of chief mate on?
(a) The Eagle.
(b) The Gustav.
(c) The Patna.
(d) The Modicum.
5. What does Jim contemplate doing while in the lifeboat, but does not do because he does not want to give the other three men in the lifeboat the satisfaction?
(c) Committing suicide.
6. Where is the ship that finds the Patna registered?
7. How does Jim make the last leg of his journey to Patusan?
(a) By canoe.
(b) By ship.
(c) By train.
(d) By horse.
8. How long does Jim clutch the tiller in an attempt to avoid being thrown off of the lifeboat?
(a) Six hours.
(b) Two hours.
(c) Ten hours.
(d) Three hours.
9. Why can the Patna's captain and his fellow ship abandoners not free their lifeboat?
(a) A mooring line is caught.
(b) A sliding bolt is jammed.
(c) They panic and forget how to launch the lifeboat.
(d) They are not strong enough.
10. Where does Jim learn his sailing skills?
(a) From his father.
(b) From the Navy.
(c) From his uncle.
(d) From the mercantile marines.
11. How old is Stein when he takes part in the revolutionary movement of 1848?
12. According to the Frenchman speaking to Marlow, what does one not die from?
(a) Fearful sounds.
(b) Accidents at sea.
(c) Being angry.
(d) Being afraid.
13. According to a rumor that Marlow hears on his journeys, what has Jim, a.k.a. the mysterious white man in Patusan, acquired?
(a) An enormous gem.
(b) A sleek clipper.
(c) A fast horse.
(d) A servant wife.
14. According to Marlow, one of the worst examples of a time when Jim simply gets up and leaves because of his past occurs in what city?
(c) Porta Plaza.
15. On board ship, Jim is injured and unable to work. What happens?
(a) A falling spar hit Jim.
(b) Jim fell overboard.
(c) Another crew member fought with Jim.
(d) Jim slipped on the deck.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Doramin?
2. How many days do the four crew members sail on the passing steamer before the steamer reaches port?
3. What is the name of the native chief that Jim will meet?
4. One night, Cornelius approaches Jim with an offer to get Jim safe passage away from Patusan. How much does Cornelius offer to charge Jim?
5. How does Jim characterize his stay in his new lodging arrangement after he leaves Doramin's home?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)