|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Two men are looking for Jim in order to offer him a position to manage the island they are trying to establish. Where is the operation located?
(a) Off of Cape Horn.
(b) In the Walpole Reefs.
(c) In the Eastern Mediterranean.
(d) Off of Cape Cod.
2. What is the name of the man whose job Jim will be taking over for Stein's company?
3. What does Jim contemplate doing while in the lifeboat, but does not do because he does not want to give the other three men in the lifeboat the satisfaction?
(b) Committing suicide.
4. What is the name of the man Jim makes eye contact with during the inquiry trial?
5. What is the name of the Sultan's uncle who extorts and steals from the country-born Malays?
(a) Robert Elliot.
(b) Rajah Elliot.
(c) Robert Allang.
(d) Rajah Allang.
6. Once the survivors arrive in port, where does the captain immediately go?
(a) To the company's office.
(b) To the nearest bar.
(c) To the post office.
(d) To the harbor office.
7. What does Stein collect?
8. Where is the ship that finds the Patna registered?
9. After escaping from his captors, what does Jim show at a nearby settlement that convinces the settlement's people to care for Jim?
(a) A gun.
(b) A dollar bill.
(c) A ring.
(d) A knife.
10. What does the court cancel for both the chief mate and the skipper?
(a) Their mandates.
(b) Their licenses.
(c) Their appointments.
(d) Their certificates.
11. What is the name of the woman Jim falls in love with?
12. On board, Jim witnesses a drunken man verbally abusing the captain. Who is the drunkard?
(a) The engineer.
(b) The navigator.
(c) The first mate.
(d) The chief mate.
13. What is the name of the West Australian man who is looking for Jim?
14. What is the name of the ship that Jim takes the job of chief mate on?
(a) The Modicum.
(b) The Gustav.
(c) The Patna.
(d) The Eagle.
15. How many quartermasters does the captain of the rescuing ship send on board the Patna?
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the attack on Ali's compound - as plotted by Jim - begin?
2. About what time does the rescuing ship find the Patna?
3. What kind of ship finds the listing Patna?
4. According to a rumor that Marlow hears on his journeys, what has Jim, a.k.a. the mysterious white man in Patusan, acquired?
5. While the captain is trying to free the lifeboat and abandon his ship, what are the passengers doing?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)