|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the passing steamer that picks up the four crew members after they abandon their ship?
(a) The Patna.
(b) The Eagle.
(c) The Avondale.
(d) The Ossian.
2. At the time when the Frenchman and Marlow are conversing, what is Jim's occupation?
(a) A water clerk.
(b) A bartender.
(c) A ship's captain.
(d) An insurance canvasser.
3. How does Jim make the last leg of his journey to Patusan?
(a) By canoe.
(b) By horse.
(c) By ship.
(d) By train.
4. How many days do the four crew members sail on the passing steamer before the steamer reaches port?
(a) Ten days.
(b) Three days.
(c) Fifteen days.
(d) Six days.
5. What do the rescuing crew members find on board the Patna that baffles them?
(a) A dead man.
(c) Massive food stores.
(d) Sleeping passengers.
6. When does the attack on Ali's compound - as plotted by Jim - begin?
(a) At sunset.
(b) At midday.
(c) At sunrise.
(d) At midnight.
7. Over breakfast, where do Stein and Marlow decide that Jim should go to live?
8. What is the name of the nautical assessor who is presiding over the inquiry and who captains a steel steamer?
9. What is the name of the ship-chandlers with whom Jim finds work?
(a) Elliot and Moore.
(b) Moore and Blake.
(c) Egstrom and Blake.
(d) Blake and Elliot.
10. After traveling throughout the land with a famous Dutch traveler, where does Stein eventually make his home?
11. For how many days is Jim held prisoner before his successful escape?
12. How many lifeboats are on the Patna before the incident under inquiry occurs?
13. After escaping from his captors, what does Jim show at a nearby settlement that convinces the settlement's people to care for Jim?
(a) A knife.
(b) A ring.
(c) A dollar bill.
(d) A gun.
14. When Jim sees Marlow face-to-face at the ship-chandlers, what does Marlow ask Jim?
(a) Why he left his previous position.
(b) Why he revealed his Patna history.
(c) Why he joked about the Patna.
(d) Why he wrote for the inquiry's findings.
15. What is the name of the man who meets Jim and tells him that the Rajah wants to see him?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Marlow, one of the worst examples of a time when Jim simply gets up and leaves because of his past occurs in what city?
2. How old is Stein when he takes part in the revolutionary movement of 1848?
3. What is the name of the house where Jim and Marlow spend an evening talking during the inquiry?
4. What kind of ship finds the listing Patna?
5. Where is the ship that finds the Patna registered?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)