|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the passing steamer that picks up the four crew members after they abandon their ship?
(a) The Eagle.
(b) The Avondale.
(c) The Ossian.
(d) The Patna.
2. What two items does Jim return from Stein's house with?
(a) A letter and a ring.
(b) A letter and a revolver.
(c) A letter and a horse.
(d) A ring and a revolver.
3. Who is Doramin?
(a) A rebel leader.
(b) A chief of the second power.
(c) The Rajah's aide.
(d) Marlow's uncle.
4. How long does Jim clutch the tiller in an attempt to avoid being thrown off of the lifeboat?
(a) Ten hours.
(b) Two hours.
(c) Three hours.
(d) Six hours.
5. How does Jim feel when he learns of the chance to relocate to the place that Stein and Marlow suggest?
6. How long does Jim's sailing training last?
(a) Twenty-four months.
(b) Eighteen months.
(c) Twelve months.
(d) Two years.
7. How much time elapses between when the ship has its accident and when Jim finds himself at the official inquiry into the incident?
(a) Ten days.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Three months.
(d) One month.
8. What does Jim discover in the forepeak of the ship?
9. What is the name of Doramin's son?
(a) James Conrad.
(b) Kassim Allang.
(c) Dain Waris.
(d) John Elliot.
10. While the captain is trying to free the lifeboat and abandon his ship, what are the passengers doing?
11. In the story's opening chapter, what is Jim's occupation?
(a) A ship builder.
(b) A water clerk.
(c) A handyman.
(d) A store owner.
12. In the time leading up to the attack on the compound, where are Jim and Dain Waris concealing themselves?
(a) In the trees.
(b) In the ravine.
(c) In the tall grass.
(d) In the river.
13. About what time does the rescuing ship find the Patna?
(a) 9:00 p.m.
(b) 9:00 a.m.
(c) 3:00 p.m.
(d) 11:00 a.m.
14. What does Jim contemplate doing while in the lifeboat, but does not do because he does not want to give the other three men in the lifeboat the satisfaction?
(b) Committing suicide.
15. Over breakfast, where do Stein and Marlow decide that Jim should go to live?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the West Australian man who is looking for Jim?
2. How many crew members abandon ship after the Patna's accident?
3. According to Marlow, one of the worst examples of a time when Jim simply gets up and leaves because of his past occurs in what city?
4. What is the name of the ship that Jim takes the job of chief mate on?
5. According to the Frenchman speaking to Marlow, what does one not die from?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)