|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jim characterize his stay in his new lodging arrangement after he leaves Doramin's home?
2. One night, Cornelius approaches Jim with an offer to get Jim safe passage away from Patusan. How much does Cornelius offer to charge Jim?
3. What is the name of the man whose job Jim will be taking over for Stein's company?
4. At the time when the Frenchman and Marlow are conversing, what is Jim's occupation?
(a) An insurance canvasser.
(b) A water clerk.
(c) A bartender.
(d) A ship's captain.
5. How many crew members abandon ship after the Patna's accident?
6. When Jim and his men attack the stockade, who breaks through first?
(a) Dain Waris.
(d) Tamb' Itam.
7. When does the attack on Ali's compound - as plotted by Jim - begin?
(a) At sunset.
(b) At midnight.
(c) At sunrise.
(d) At midday.
8. While held prisoner, what item do the captors bring to Jim to fix?
(a) A sledge.
(b) A clock.
(c) A claim.
(d) A sail.
9. What is the name of the principal shipping master?
(a) Archie Ruthvel.
(b) Robert Marlow.
(c) John Elliot.
(d) Harry Gustav.
10. Where is Stein born?
11. Who is Tamb' Itam?
(a) Jim's personal servant.
(b) Kassim's personal servant.
(c) Dain's personal servant.
(d) Doramin's personal servant.
12. What order does Jim receive from the captain when the captain stops fighting with the drunken man?
(a) To stop the engines.
(b) To send an SOS.
(c) To not alert any of the passengers.
(d) To wake the first mate.
13. What two items does Jim return from Stein's house with?
(a) A ring and a revolver.
(b) A letter and a ring.
(c) A letter and a revolver.
(d) A letter and a horse.
14. What does Stein collect?
15. When Marlow thinks Jim is contemplating suicide while standing out on his balcony, what does Marlow think suicide would be for Jim?
(a) A fitting end.
(b) An easy kindness.
(c) A horrible consequence.
(d) An unspeakable tragedy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can the Patna's captain and his fellow ship abandoners not free their lifeboat?
2. On Marlow's next trip to the region where Jim is working with the ship-chandlers, what does Marlow learn?
3. How much time elapses between when the ship has its accident and when Jim finds himself at the official inquiry into the incident?
4. What is the name of the Sultan's uncle who extorts and steals from the country-born Malays?
5. On board ship, Jim is injured and unable to work. What happens?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)