|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the passing steamer that picks up the four crew members after they abandon their ship?
(a) The Eagle.
(b) The Ossian.
(c) The Avondale.
(d) The Patna.
2. What is the name of the West Australian man who is looking for Jim?
3. After escaping from his captors, what does Jim show at a nearby settlement that convinces the settlement's people to care for Jim?
(a) A knife.
(b) A dollar bill.
(c) A ring.
(d) A gun.
4. What do the rescuing crew members find on board the Patna that baffles them?
(a) A dead man.
(b) Massive food stores.
(d) Sleeping passengers.
5. Where does Jim learn his sailing skills?
(a) From the mercantile marines.
(b) From his father.
(c) From the Navy.
(d) From his uncle.
6. How many lifeboats are on the Patna before the incident under inquiry occurs?
7. While the captain and the other two men discuss what their "story" will be, what job is assigned to Jim?
8. What does Jim ask Marlow to do as a favor in regard to his newly found position with the ship-chandlers?
(a) Write him a letter of recommendation.
(b) Explain the circumstances of Jim's past.
(c) Apologize to Marlow's friend for him.
(d) Send the court inquiry's findings.
9. According to the Frenchman speaking to Marlow, what does one not die from?
(a) Fearful sounds.
(b) Being afraid.
(c) Accidents at sea.
(d) Being angry.
10. How many quartermasters does the captain of the rescuing ship send on board the Patna?
11. What is the name of the native chief that Jim will meet?
12. How many days do the four crew members sail on the passing steamer before the steamer reaches port?
(a) Ten days.
(b) Six days.
(c) Fifteen days.
(d) Three days.
13. How many crew members abandon ship after the Patna's accident?
14. As the captain is trying to free the lifeboat and abandon his ship, what does Jim notice off in the distance?
(a) An approaching shark.
(b) An approaching squall.
(c) An approaching ship.
(d) An approaching raft.
15. What does the court cancel for both the chief mate and the skipper?
(a) Their mandates.
(b) Their appointments.
(c) Their certificates.
(d) Their licenses.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jim finally comes into the room from the balcony, what does Jim ask Marlow for?
2. How old is Stein when he takes part in the revolutionary movement of 1848?
3. At the time when the Frenchman and Marlow are conversing, what is Jim's occupation?
4. What is the name of the Sultan's uncle who extorts and steals from the country-born Malays?
5. When Jim sees Marlow face-to-face at the ship-chandlers, what does Marlow ask Jim?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)