|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On Marlow's next trip to the region where Jim is working with the ship-chandlers, what does Marlow learn?
(a) That Jim has stolen from the ship-chandlers.
(b) That Jim has bought his own ship.
(c) That Jim has run away once again.
(d) That Jim has been killed.
2. According to a rumor that Marlow hears on his journeys, what has Jim, a.k.a. the mysterious white man in Patusan, acquired?
(a) A fast horse.
(b) A servant wife.
(c) An enormous gem.
(d) A sleek clipper.
3. Where is the ship that finds the Patna registered?
4. What is the name of the ship that Jim takes the job of chief mate on?
(a) The Patna.
(b) The Modicum.
(c) The Gustav.
(d) The Eagle.
5. When does the attack on Ali's compound - as plotted by Jim - begin?
(a) At midnight.
(b) At midday.
(c) At sunrise.
(d) At sunset.
6. What kind of ship finds the listing Patna?
(a) A gunboat.
(b) A schooner.
(c) A tugboat.
(d) A cutter.
7. How many brothers does Jim have?
8. After hearing about the opportunity that Stein and Marlow have in mind for Jim, how does Jim get to Stein's house for his final instructions?
9. What does Jim contemplate doing while in the lifeboat, but does not do because he does not want to give the other three men in the lifeboat the satisfaction?
(a) Committing suicide.
10. How do the other three in the lifeboat feel when they realize that Jim - not the other engineer - is on the lifeboat?
(a) They are sad.
(b) They are happy.
(c) They are furious.
(d) They are curious.
11. Why can the Patna's captain and his fellow ship abandoners not free their lifeboat?
(a) A mooring line is caught.
(b) They are not strong enough.
(c) They panic and forget how to launch the lifeboat.
(d) A sliding bolt is jammed.
12. With whom does Jim first confide his plan to defeat Sherif Ali?
13. On board, Jim witnesses a drunken man verbally abusing the captain. Who is the drunkard?
(a) The navigator.
(b) The chief mate.
(c) The first mate.
(d) The engineer.
14. In his room while writing letters for Jim, what does Marlow expect to hear when Jim steps out on the balcony?
(a) Jim ask for forgiveness.
(b) Jim scream at the heavens.
(c) Jim begin to cry.
(d) Jim jump to his death.
15. How many days do the four crew members sail on the passing steamer before the steamer reaches port?
(a) Three days.
(b) Fifteen days.
(c) Ten days.
(d) Six days.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Marlow's business meeting, what is the name of the admiral who ruins the plot of the man from Madagascar's business scheme?
2. How many lifeboats are on the Patna before the incident under inquiry occurs?
3. In the story's opening chapter, what is Jim's occupation?
4. What does the court cancel for both the chief mate and the skipper?
5. How much time elapses between when the ship has its accident and when Jim finds himself at the official inquiry into the incident?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)