Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One night, Cornelius approaches Jim with an offer to get Jim safe passage away from Patusan. How much does Cornelius offer to charge Jim?
2. When Jim finally comes into the room from the balcony, what does Jim ask Marlow for?
(a) A job.
(b) A loan.
(c) A recommendation.
(d) A cigarette.
3. On Marlow's next trip to the region where Jim is working with the ship-chandlers, what does Marlow learn?
(a) That Jim has stolen from the ship-chandlers.
(b) That Jim has been killed.
(c) That Jim has run away once again.
(d) That Jim has bought his own ship.
4. What does Jim discover in the forepeak of the ship?
5. How many days do the four crew members sail on the passing steamer before the steamer reaches port?
(a) Fifteen days.
(b) Six days.
(c) Three days.
(d) Ten days.
6. How much time elapses between when the ship has its accident and when Jim finds himself at the official inquiry into the incident?
(a) Three months.
(b) Ten days.
(c) One month.
(d) Two weeks.
7. When Jim and his men attack the stockade, who breaks through first?
(a) Dain Waris.
(d) Tamb' Itam.
8. How many people are aboard Chester's ship when it leaves the Australian port and steams into the Pacific Ocean?
(a) 22 people.
(b) 36 people.
(c) 15 people.
(d) 47 people.
9. After hearing about the opportunity that Stein and Marlow have in mind for Jim, how does Jim get to Stein's house for his final instructions?
10. How many quartermasters does the captain of the rescuing ship send on board the Patna?
11. How do the other three in the lifeboat feel when they realize that Jim - not the other engineer - is on the lifeboat?
(a) They are furious.
(b) They are curious.
(c) They are sad.
(d) They are happy.
12. When Jim sees Marlow face-to-face at the ship-chandlers, what does Marlow ask Jim?
(a) Why he wrote for the inquiry's findings.
(b) Why he revealed his Patna history.
(c) Why he left his previous position.
(d) Why he joked about the Patna.
13. What is the name of the Sultan's uncle who extorts and steals from the country-born Malays?
(a) Robert Allang.
(b) Rajah Allang.
(c) Robert Elliot.
(d) Rajah Elliot.
14. What is the name of the woman Jim falls in love with?
15. As the captain and the drunken man are fighting, what happens to the ship?
(a) The ship's sails go slack.
(b) The ship runs across something.
(c) The ship catches on fire.
(d) The ship's engines fail.
Short Answer Questions
1. After traveling throughout the land with a famous Dutch traveler, where does Stein eventually make his home?
2. What do the rescuing crew members find on board the Patna that baffles them?
3. What is the name of the ship that Jim takes the job of chief mate on?
4. What is the name of the house where Jim and Marlow spend an evening talking during the inquiry?
5. What does Jim contemplate doing while in the lifeboat, but does not do because he does not want to give the other three men in the lifeboat the satisfaction?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)