|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the ship that finds the Patna registered?
2. At the time when the Frenchman and Marlow are conversing, what is Jim's occupation?
(a) An insurance canvasser.
(b) A ship's captain.
(c) A water clerk.
(d) A bartender.
3. With whom does Jim first confide his plan to defeat Sherif Ali?
4. How does Jim make the last leg of his journey to Patusan?
(a) By canoe.
(b) By horse.
(c) By ship.
(d) By train.
5. For how many days is Jim held prisoner before his successful escape?
6. When Jim finally comes into the room from the balcony, what does Jim ask Marlow for?
(a) A recommendation.
(b) A job.
(c) A cigarette.
(d) A loan.
7. In the time leading up to the attack on the compound, where are Jim and Dain Waris concealing themselves?
(a) In the tall grass.
(b) In the trees.
(c) In the river.
(d) In the ravine.
8. What does the court cancel for both the chief mate and the skipper?
(a) Their licenses.
(b) Their appointments.
(c) Their mandates.
(d) Their certificates.
9. What is the name of the ship that Jim takes the job of chief mate on?
(a) The Eagle.
(b) The Gustav.
(c) The Patna.
(d) The Modicum.
10. While the captain and the other two men discuss what their "story" will be, what job is assigned to Jim?
11. What does Jim ask Marlow to do as a favor in regard to his newly found position with the ship-chandlers?
(a) Explain the circumstances of Jim's past.
(b) Write him a letter of recommendation.
(c) Send the court inquiry's findings.
(d) Apologize to Marlow's friend for him.
12. According to the Frenchman speaking to Marlow, what does one not die from?
(a) Being angry.
(b) Accidents at sea.
(c) Fearful sounds.
(d) Being afraid.
13. Who is Doramin?
(a) A chief of the second power.
(b) The Rajah's aide.
(c) A rebel leader.
(d) Marlow's uncle.
14. As the captain and the drunken man are fighting, what happens to the ship?
(a) The ship runs across something.
(b) The ship's engines fail.
(c) The ship catches on fire.
(d) The ship's sails go slack.
15. How long does Jim's sailing training last?
(a) Eighteen months.
(b) Two years.
(c) Twenty-four months.
(d) Twelve months.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Stein born?
2. While held prisoner, what item do the captors bring to Jim to fix?
3. How does Chester die?
4. At Marlow's business meeting, what is the name of the admiral who ruins the plot of the man from Madagascar's business scheme?
5. When Marlow thinks Jim is contemplating suicide while standing out on his balcony, what does Marlow think suicide would be for Jim?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)