|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to a rumor that Marlow hears on his journeys, what has Jim, a.k.a. the mysterious white man in Patusan, acquired?
(a) A fast horse.
(b) A sleek clipper.
(c) A servant wife.
(d) An enormous gem.
2. About what time does the rescuing ship find the Patna?
(a) 9:00 p.m.
(b) 3:00 p.m.
(c) 9:00 a.m.
(d) 11:00 a.m.
3. How does Chester die?
(a) He is killed when his crew mutinies.
(b) His ship is caught in a hurricane.
(c) He is shot in the Amazon jungle.
(d) His ship is struck by a schooner in the fog.
4. Over breakfast, where do Stein and Marlow decide that Jim should go to live?
5. What is the name of the ship that Jim takes the job of chief mate on?
(a) The Eagle.
(b) The Modicum.
(c) The Gustav.
(d) The Patna.
6. Before he even realizes what he's doing, what does Jim do as it begins to rain?
(a) Jumps into the lifeboat.
(b) Yells at the captain.
(c) Punches the engineer.
(d) Incites a panic.
7. What does the court cancel for both the chief mate and the skipper?
(a) Their mandates.
(b) Their licenses.
(c) Their appointments.
(d) Their certificates.
8. Who is Tamb' Itam?
(a) Jim's personal servant.
(b) Doramin's personal servant.
(c) Kassim's personal servant.
(d) Dain's personal servant.
9. While held prisoner, what item do the captors bring to Jim to fix?
(a) A claim.
(b) A clock.
(c) A sail.
(d) A sledge.
10. How many quartermasters does the captain of the rescuing ship send on board the Patna?
11. Where is the ship that finds the Patna registered?
12. What is the name of the West Australian man who is looking for Jim?
13. What does Jim reveal to Marlow during their face-to-face meeting that Jim truly desires?
(a) For Marlow's friendship to continue.
(b) For his past to be revealed.
(c) For his past to be buried.
(d) For Marlow's friend to forgive him.
14. How much time elapses between when the ship has its accident and when Jim finds himself at the official inquiry into the incident?
(a) Ten days.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Three months.
(d) One month.
15. What does Jim feel he can obtain by going to the place suggested by Stein and Marlow?
(a) A fine home.
(b) A clean slate.
(c) A young wife.
(d) A servant boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Frenchman speaking to Marlow, what does one not die from?
2. What is the name of Doramin's son?
3. At the time when the Frenchman and Marlow are conversing, what is Jim's occupation?
4. After taking part in the revolutionary movement, with whom does Stein find refuge?
5. How long does Jim's sailing training last?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)