|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how many days is Jim held prisoner before his successful escape?
2. According to a rumor that Marlow hears on his journeys, what has Jim, a.k.a. the mysterious white man in Patusan, acquired?
(a) A fast horse.
(b) A servant wife.
(c) An enormous gem.
(d) A sleek clipper.
3. How many days do the four crew members sail on the passing steamer before the steamer reaches port?
(a) Six days.
(b) Fifteen days.
(c) Ten days.
(d) Three days.
4. What do Jewel and Tamb' Itam have in common?
(a) They both served in the military.
(b) They are both slaves.
(c) They both never speak.
(d) They are both devoted to Jim.
5. One night, Cornelius approaches Jim with an offer to get Jim safe passage away from Patusan. How much does Cornelius offer to charge Jim?
6. What kind of ship finds the listing Patna?
(a) A schooner.
(b) A cutter.
(c) A gunboat.
(d) A tugboat.
7. How many quartermasters does the captain of the rescuing ship send on board the Patna?
8. What is the name of Doramin's son?
(a) Kassim Allang.
(b) Dain Waris.
(c) John Elliot.
(d) James Conrad.
9. According to the Frenchman speaking to Marlow, what does one not die from?
(a) Being angry.
(b) Accidents at sea.
(c) Being afraid.
(d) Fearful sounds.
10. How many years elapse after Jim first leaves for Patusan and when Marlow is first able to visit Jim?
(a) Two years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Four years.
11. When the police finally catch up to the Patna's chief engineer, what is the chief engineer raving about?
(b) Ice cream.
(c) Dead passengers.
(d) Pink frogs.
12. What is the name of the woman Jim falls in love with?
13. What is the name of the native chief that Jim will meet?
14. How many lifeboats are on the Patna before the incident under inquiry occurs?
15. What does Jim contemplate doing while in the lifeboat, but does not do because he does not want to give the other three men in the lifeboat the satisfaction?
(b) Committing suicide.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim feel he can obtain by going to the place suggested by Stein and Marlow?
2. On Marlow's next trip to the region where Jim is working with the ship-chandlers, what does Marlow learn?
3. When does the attack on Ali's compound - as plotted by Jim - begin?
4. What does Jim discover in the forepeak of the ship?
5. What order does Jim receive from the captain when the captain stops fighting with the drunken man?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)