|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After hearing about the opportunity that Stein and Marlow have in mind for Jim, how does Jim get to Stein's house for his final instructions?
2. Why can the Patna's captain and his fellow ship abandoners not free their lifeboat?
(a) A sliding bolt is jammed.
(b) A mooring line is caught.
(c) They are not strong enough.
(d) They panic and forget how to launch the lifeboat.
3. How many days do the four crew members sail on the passing steamer before the steamer reaches port?
(a) Fifteen days.
(b) Three days.
(c) Six days.
(d) Ten days.
4. In the story's opening chapter, what is Jim's occupation?
(a) A ship builder.
(b) A water clerk.
(c) A store owner.
(d) A handyman.
5. How long does Jim's sailing training last?
(a) Twelve months.
(b) Two years.
(c) Eighteen months.
(d) Twenty-four months.
6. Who is Doramin?
(a) The Rajah's aide.
(b) A rebel leader.
(c) A chief of the second power.
(d) Marlow's uncle.
7. What is the name of the nautical assessor who is presiding over the inquiry and who captains a steel steamer?
8. After taking part in the revolutionary movement, with whom does Stein find refuge?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A watchmaker.
(c) A ship's captain.
(d) A bartender.
9. What is the name of the man who meets Jim and tells him that the Rajah wants to see him?
10. After escaping from his captors, what does Jim show at a nearby settlement that convinces the settlement's people to care for Jim?
(a) A ring.
(b) A dollar bill.
(c) A gun.
(d) A knife.
11. How many passengers are on the Patna before the incident under inquiry occurs?
(a) 50 people.
(b) 800 people.
(c) 425 people.
(d) 570 people.
12. While the captain is trying to free the lifeboat and abandon his ship, what are the passengers doing?
13. How many quartermasters does the captain of the rescuing ship send on board the Patna?
14. What is the name of the woman Jim falls in love with?
15. What is the name of the Sultan's uncle who extorts and steals from the country-born Malays?
(a) Rajah Allang.
(b) Rajah Elliot.
(c) Robert Allang.
(d) Robert Elliot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jim learn his sailing skills?
2. How many people are aboard Chester's ship when it leaves the Australian port and steams into the Pacific Ocean?
3. In whose courtyard is Jim held prisoner?
4. What do Jewel and Tamb' Itam have in common?
5. With whom does Jim first confide his plan to defeat Sherif Ali?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)