|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Stein born?
2. What is the name of the woman Jim falls in love with?
3. On board ship, Jim is injured and unable to work. What happens?
(a) Jim fell overboard.
(b) Another crew member fought with Jim.
(c) A falling spar hit Jim.
(d) Jim slipped on the deck.
4. In whose courtyard is Jim held prisoner?
5. In the time leading up to the attack on the compound, where are Jim and Dain Waris concealing themselves?
(a) In the trees.
(b) In the ravine.
(c) In the tall grass.
(d) In the river.
6. After escaping from his captors, what does Jim show at a nearby settlement that convinces the settlement's people to care for Jim?
(a) A ring.
(b) A knife.
(c) A gun.
(d) A dollar bill.
7. For how many days is Jim held prisoner before his successful escape?
8. What does Jim contemplate doing while in the lifeboat, but does not do because he does not want to give the other three men in the lifeboat the satisfaction?
(c) Committing suicide.
9. Where is Jim when the captain and the drunken man are fighting?
(a) In the mess area.
(b) On the ship's bridge.
(c) In the engine room.
(d) In the lookout perch.
10. What two items does Jim return from Stein's house with?
(a) A ring and a revolver.
(b) A letter and a revolver.
(c) A letter and a ring.
(d) A letter and a horse.
11. While the captain and the other two men discuss what their "story" will be, what job is assigned to Jim?
12. One night, Cornelius approaches Jim with an offer to get Jim safe passage away from Patusan. How much does Cornelius offer to charge Jim?
13. How many passengers are on the Patna before the incident under inquiry occurs?
(a) 50 people.
(b) 800 people.
(c) 425 people.
(d) 570 people.
14. How old is Stein when he takes part in the revolutionary movement of 1848?
15. When Marlow thinks Jim is contemplating suicide while standing out on his balcony, what does Marlow think suicide would be for Jim?
(a) An unspeakable tragedy.
(b) An easy kindness.
(c) A fitting end.
(d) A horrible consequence.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many quartermasters does the captain of the rescuing ship send on board the Patna?
2. Where does Jim learn his sailing skills?
3. What is the name of the house where Jim and Marlow spend an evening talking during the inquiry?
4. To whom does Marlow recommend Jim for employment?
5. After traveling throughout the land with a famous Dutch traveler, where does Stein eventually make his home?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)