|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the man who meets Jim and tells him that the Rajah wants to see him?
2. How many lifeboats are on the Patna before the incident under inquiry occurs?
3. What is the name of Doramin's son?
(a) Kassim Allang.
(b) James Conrad.
(c) Dain Waris.
(d) John Elliot.
4. As the captain is trying to free the lifeboat and abandon his ship, what does Jim notice off in the distance?
(a) An approaching ship.
(b) An approaching squall.
(c) An approaching raft.
(d) An approaching shark.
5. What two items does Jim return from Stein's house with?
(a) A letter and a ring.
(b) A ring and a revolver.
(c) A letter and a revolver.
(d) A letter and a horse.
6. What is the name of the ship-chandlers with whom Jim finds work?
(a) Moore and Blake.
(b) Blake and Elliot.
(c) Elliot and Moore.
(d) Egstrom and Blake.
7. What is the name of the passing steamer that picks up the four crew members after they abandon their ship?
(a) The Ossian.
(b) The Patna.
(c) The Avondale.
(d) The Eagle.
8. According to Marlow, one of the worst examples of a time when Jim simply gets up and leaves because of his past occurs in what city?
(c) Porta Plaza.
9. On board, Jim witnesses a drunken man verbally abusing the captain. Who is the drunkard?
(a) The first mate.
(b) The chief mate.
(c) The navigator.
(d) The engineer.
10. To whom does Marlow recommend Jim for employment?
(a) An insurance company owner.
(b) A rice mill owner.
(c) A ship builder.
(d) A hotelier.
11. How long does Jim's sailing training last?
(a) Eighteen months.
(b) Two years.
(c) Twenty-four months.
(d) Twelve months.
12. When Jim and his men attack the stockade, who breaks through first?
(a) Dain Waris.
(b) Tamb' Itam.
13. What does Stein collect?
14. How many people are aboard Chester's ship when it leaves the Australian port and steams into the Pacific Ocean?
(a) 47 people.
(b) 36 people.
(c) 15 people.
(d) 22 people.
15. How does Jim make the last leg of his journey to Patusan?
(a) By train.
(b) By ship.
(c) By canoe.
(d) By horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the nautical assessor who is presiding over the inquiry and who captains a steel steamer?
2. What order does Jim receive from the captain when the captain stops fighting with the drunken man?
3. At the time when the Frenchman and Marlow are conversing, what is Jim's occupation?
4. What is the name of the man Jim makes eye contact with during the inquiry trial?
5. What does the court cancel for both the chief mate and the skipper?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)