|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the captain and the drunken man are fighting, what happens to the ship?
(a) The ship runs across something.
(b) The ship's engines fail.
(c) The ship's sails go slack.
(d) The ship catches on fire.
2. In the story's opening chapter, what is Jim's occupation?
(a) A water clerk.
(b) A handyman.
(c) A ship builder.
(d) A store owner.
3. What is the name of the woman Jim falls in love with?
4. How much time elapses between when the ship has its accident and when Jim finds himself at the official inquiry into the incident?
(a) Ten days.
(b) Three months.
(c) One month.
(d) Two weeks.
5. How many lifeboats are on the Patna before the incident under inquiry occurs?
6. What is the name of the passing steamer that picks up the four crew members after they abandon their ship?
(a) The Patna.
(b) The Avondale.
(c) The Eagle.
(d) The Ossian.
7. With whom does Jim first confide his plan to defeat Sherif Ali?
8. While the captain is trying to free the lifeboat and abandon his ship, what are the passengers doing?
9. When Jim and his men attack the stockade, who breaks through first?
(a) Dain Waris.
(b) Tamb' Itam.
10. According to Marlow, one of the worst examples of a time when Jim simply gets up and leaves because of his past occurs in what city?
(b) Porta Plaza.
11. Why can the Patna's captain and his fellow ship abandoners not free their lifeboat?
(a) A mooring line is caught.
(b) A sliding bolt is jammed.
(c) They panic and forget how to launch the lifeboat.
(d) They are not strong enough.
12. When Jim sees Marlow face-to-face at the ship-chandlers, what does Marlow ask Jim?
(a) Why he left his previous position.
(b) Why he wrote for the inquiry's findings.
(c) Why he revealed his Patna history.
(d) Why he joked about the Patna.
13. While held prisoner, what item do the captors bring to Jim to fix?
(a) A sledge.
(b) A claim.
(c) A sail.
(d) A clock.
14. How many passengers are on the Patna before the incident under inquiry occurs?
(a) 50 people.
(b) 800 people.
(c) 425 people.
(d) 570 people.
15. Who is Doramin?
(a) A rebel leader.
(b) The Rajah's aide.
(c) A chief of the second power.
(d) Marlow's uncle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Jim clutch the tiller in an attempt to avoid being thrown off of the lifeboat?
2. What is the name of the principal shipping master?
3. When the police finally catch up to the Patna's chief engineer, what is the chief engineer raving about?
4. For how many days is Jim held prisoner before his successful escape?
5. Who is Tamb' Itam?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)