|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At Marlow's business meeting, what is the name of the admiral who ruins the plot of the man from Madagascar's business scheme?
(a) Admiral Richey.
(b) Admiral Pierre.
(c) Admiral Elliot.
(d) Admiral Grandon.
2. In his room while writing letters for Jim, what does Marlow expect to hear when Jim steps out on the balcony?
(a) Jim ask for forgiveness.
(b) Jim begin to cry.
(c) Jim jump to his death.
(d) Jim scream at the heavens.
3. As the captain and the drunken man are fighting, what happens to the ship?
(a) The ship runs across something.
(b) The ship's engines fail.
(c) The ship catches on fire.
(d) The ship's sails go slack.
4. When does the attack on Ali's compound - as plotted by Jim - begin?
(a) At midday.
(b) At sunset.
(c) At sunrise.
(d) At midnight.
5. How much time elapses between when the ship has its accident and when Jim finds himself at the official inquiry into the incident?
(a) One month.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Ten days.
(d) Three months.
6. When the police finally catch up to the Patna's chief engineer, what is the chief engineer raving about?
(a) Ice cream.
(b) Dead passengers.
(c) Pink frogs.
7. How does Jim make the last leg of his journey to Patusan?
(a) By horse.
(b) By train.
(c) By canoe.
(d) By ship.
8. Where does Jim learn his sailing skills?
(a) From the Navy.
(b) From his uncle.
(c) From his father.
(d) From the mercantile marines.
9. What does Jim discover in the forepeak of the ship?
10. What is the name of the Sultan's uncle who extorts and steals from the country-born Malays?
(a) Rajah Allang.
(b) Rajah Elliot.
(c) Robert Elliot.
(d) Robert Allang.
11. While the captain and the other two men discuss what their "story" will be, what job is assigned to Jim?
12. What is the name of the woman Jim falls in love with?
13. What does Jim feel he can obtain by going to the place suggested by Stein and Marlow?
(a) A servant boy.
(b) A clean slate.
(c) A young wife.
(d) A fine home.
14. What is the name of the engineer who collapses from a heart attack aboard the Patna?
15. In the story's opening chapter, what is Jim's occupation?
(a) A store owner.
(b) A ship builder.
(c) A handyman.
(d) A water clerk.
Short Answer Questions
1. After taking part in the revolutionary movement, with whom does Stein find refuge?
2. Where is Stein born?
3. What kind of ship finds the listing Patna?
4. What two items does Jim return from Stein's house with?
5. On Marlow's next trip to the region where Jim is working with the ship-chandlers, what does Marlow learn?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)