|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to a rumor that Marlow hears on his journeys, what has Jim, a.k.a. the mysterious white man in Patusan, acquired?
(a) A servant wife.
(b) A sleek clipper.
(c) An enormous gem.
(d) A fast horse.
2. While the captain is trying to free the lifeboat and abandon his ship, what are the passengers doing?
3. According to the Frenchman speaking to Marlow, what does one not die from?
(a) Accidents at sea.
(b) Being afraid.
(c) Fearful sounds.
(d) Being angry.
4. How many people are aboard Chester's ship when it leaves the Australian port and steams into the Pacific Ocean?
(a) 22 people.
(b) 15 people.
(c) 47 people.
(d) 36 people.
5. How many lifeboats are on the Patna before the incident under inquiry occurs?
6. Who is Tamb' Itam?
(a) Doramin's personal servant.
(b) Jim's personal servant.
(c) Kassim's personal servant.
(d) Dain's personal servant.
7. How long does Jim's sailing training last?
(a) Twenty-four months.
(b) Two years.
(c) Eighteen months.
(d) Twelve months.
8. What does Jim contemplate doing while in the lifeboat, but does not do because he does not want to give the other three men in the lifeboat the satisfaction?
(c) Committing suicide.
9. At the time when the Frenchman and Marlow are conversing, what is Jim's occupation?
(a) A water clerk.
(b) A bartender.
(c) An insurance canvasser.
(d) A ship's captain.
10. What is the name of the man whose job Jim will be taking over for Stein's company?
11. After traveling throughout the land with a famous Dutch traveler, where does Stein eventually make his home?
12. What is the name of the native chief that Jim will meet?
13. Who is Doramin?
(a) The Rajah's aide.
(b) Marlow's uncle.
(c) A chief of the second power.
(d) A rebel leader.
14. How does the Batu Kring's head man refer to Jim?
(a) As Talib Jim.
(b) As Turan Jim.
(c) As Tetran Jim.
(d) As Tuan Jim.
15. About what time does the rescuing ship find the Patna?
(a) 11:00 a.m.
(b) 9:00 a.m.
(c) 9:00 p.m.
(d) 3:00 p.m.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once the survivors arrive in port, where does the captain immediately go?
2. What is the name of the engineer who collapses from a heart attack aboard the Patna?
3. What is the name of the man who meets Jim and tells him that the Rajah wants to see him?
4. How many crew members abandon ship after the Patna's accident?
5. In the story's opening chapter, what is Jim's occupation?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)