|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the nautical assessor who is presiding over the inquiry and who captains a steel steamer?
2. Two men are looking for Jim in order to offer him a position to manage the island they are trying to establish. Where is the operation located?
(a) Off of Cape Cod.
(b) In the Eastern Mediterranean.
(c) In the Walpole Reefs.
(d) Off of Cape Horn.
3. How do the other three in the lifeboat feel when they realize that Jim - not the other engineer - is on the lifeboat?
(a) They are sad.
(b) They are curious.
(c) They are furious.
(d) They are happy.
4. According to the Frenchman speaking to Marlow, what does one not die from?
(a) Accidents at sea.
(b) Being angry.
(c) Fearful sounds.
(d) Being afraid.
5. In the time leading up to the attack on the compound, where are Jim and Dain Waris concealing themselves?
(a) In the river.
(b) In the trees.
(c) In the ravine.
(d) In the tall grass.
6. How many lifeboats are on the Patna before the incident under inquiry occurs?
7. How does the Batu Kring's head man refer to Jim?
(a) As Tetran Jim.
(b) As Tuan Jim.
(c) As Turan Jim.
(d) As Talib Jim.
8. How many brothers does Jim have?
9. Where is Jim when the captain and the drunken man are fighting?
(a) In the lookout perch.
(b) In the engine room.
(c) On the ship's bridge.
(d) In the mess area.
10. Where is the ship that finds the Patna registered?
11. To whom does Marlow recommend Jim for employment?
(a) A hotelier.
(b) An insurance company owner.
(c) A rice mill owner.
(d) A ship builder.
12. Who is Tamb' Itam?
(a) Dain's personal servant.
(b) Doramin's personal servant.
(c) Kassim's personal servant.
(d) Jim's personal servant.
13. In the story's opening chapter, what is Jim's occupation?
(a) A handyman.
(b) A ship builder.
(c) A water clerk.
(d) A store owner.
14. About what time does the rescuing ship find the Patna?
(a) 3:00 p.m.
(b) 9:00 a.m.
(c) 11:00 a.m.
(d) 9:00 p.m.
15. How much time elapses between when the ship has its accident and when Jim finds himself at the official inquiry into the incident?
(a) Ten days.
(b) Three months.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) One month.
Short Answer Questions
1. On Marlow's next trip to the region where Jim is working with the ship-chandlers, what does Marlow learn?
2. At Marlow's business meeting, what is the name of the admiral who ruins the plot of the man from Madagascar's business scheme?
3. What does Jim discover in the forepeak of the ship?
4. What is the name of the man who meets Jim and tells him that the Rajah wants to see him?
5. What does Jim contemplate doing while in the lifeboat, but does not do because he does not want to give the other three men in the lifeboat the satisfaction?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)