|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two items does Jim return from Stein's house with?
(a) A letter and a revolver.
(b) A letter and a ring.
(c) A ring and a revolver.
(d) A letter and a horse.
2. Where is Stein born?
3. What is the name of the principal shipping master?
(a) Archie Ruthvel.
(b) Robert Marlow.
(c) John Elliot.
(d) Harry Gustav.
4. On board, Jim witnesses a drunken man verbally abusing the captain. Who is the drunkard?
(a) The chief mate.
(b) The engineer.
(c) The navigator.
(d) The first mate.
5. Over breakfast, where do Stein and Marlow decide that Jim should go to live?
6. How many lifeboats are on the Patna before the incident under inquiry occurs?
7. According to the Frenchman speaking to Marlow, what does one not die from?
(a) Fearful sounds.
(b) Accidents at sea.
(c) Being afraid.
(d) Being angry.
8. Why can the Patna's captain and his fellow ship abandoners not free their lifeboat?
(a) A sliding bolt is jammed.
(b) They panic and forget how to launch the lifeboat.
(c) They are not strong enough.
(d) A mooring line is caught.
9. When Jim finally comes into the room from the balcony, what does Jim ask Marlow for?
(a) A cigarette.
(b) A loan.
(c) A job.
(d) A recommendation.
10. How long does Jim reside in the place he chooses after leaving Doramin's place?
(a) Ten weeks.
(b) Four weeks.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Three weeks.
11. At the time when the Frenchman and Marlow are conversing, what is Jim's occupation?
(a) An insurance canvasser.
(b) A ship's captain.
(c) A water clerk.
(d) A bartender.
12. After traveling throughout the land with a famous Dutch traveler, where does Stein eventually make his home?
13. What does Jim feel he can obtain by going to the place suggested by Stein and Marlow?
(a) A clean slate.
(b) A fine home.
(c) A young wife.
(d) A servant boy.
14. What is the name of the house where Jim and Marlow spend an evening talking during the inquiry?
(a) Manor House.
(b) Malabar House.
(c) Miramar House.
(d) Middle House.
15. How many people are aboard Chester's ship when it leaves the Australian port and steams into the Pacific Ocean?
(a) 36 people.
(b) 15 people.
(c) 47 people.
(d) 22 people.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his room while writing letters for Jim, what does Marlow expect to hear when Jim steps out on the balcony?
2. Where is the ship that finds the Patna registered?
3. Where does Jim learn his sailing skills?
4. What do the rescuing crew members find on board the Patna that baffles them?
5. On Marlow's next trip to the region where Jim is working with the ship-chandlers, what does Marlow learn?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)