|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two items does Jim return from Stein's house with?
(a) A letter and a revolver.
(b) A ring and a revolver.
(c) A letter and a ring.
(d) A letter and a horse.
2. On board, Jim witnesses a drunken man verbally abusing the captain. Who is the drunkard?
(a) The navigator.
(b) The engineer.
(c) The chief mate.
(d) The first mate.
3. While the captain is trying to free the lifeboat and abandon his ship, what are the passengers doing?
4. What kind of ship finds the listing Patna?
(a) A gunboat.
(b) A schooner.
(c) A tugboat.
(d) A cutter.
5. Who is Doramin?
(a) The Rajah's aide.
(b) A chief of the second power.
(c) Marlow's uncle.
(d) A rebel leader.
6. In his room while writing letters for Jim, what does Marlow expect to hear when Jim steps out on the balcony?
(a) Jim ask for forgiveness.
(b) Jim scream at the heavens.
(c) Jim begin to cry.
(d) Jim jump to his death.
7. Where is the ship that finds the Patna registered?
8. One night, Cornelius approaches Jim with an offer to get Jim safe passage away from Patusan. How much does Cornelius offer to charge Jim?
9. What is the name of the man who meets Jim and tells him that the Rajah wants to see him?
10. In the story's opening chapter, what is Jim's occupation?
(a) A ship builder.
(b) A handyman.
(c) A store owner.
(d) A water clerk.
11. After hearing about the opportunity that Stein and Marlow have in mind for Jim, how does Jim get to Stein's house for his final instructions?
12. According to the Frenchman speaking to Marlow, what does one not die from?
(a) Fearful sounds.
(b) Accidents at sea.
(c) Being angry.
(d) Being afraid.
13. How does the Batu Kring's head man refer to Jim?
(a) As Tetran Jim.
(b) As Turan Jim.
(c) As Talib Jim.
(d) As Tuan Jim.
14. When does the attack on Ali's compound - as plotted by Jim - begin?
(a) At midday.
(b) At sunset.
(c) At sunrise.
(d) At midnight.
15. At the time when the Frenchman and Marlow are conversing, what is Jim's occupation?
(a) An insurance canvasser.
(b) A ship's captain.
(c) A water clerk.
(d) A bartender.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Stein born?
2. What is the name of the ship-chandlers with whom Jim finds work?
3. When the police finally catch up to the Patna's chief engineer, what is the chief engineer raving about?
4. Where is Jim when the captain and the drunken man are fighting?
5. How many brothers does Jim have?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)