|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Chester die?
(a) He is shot in the Amazon jungle.
(b) His ship is struck by a schooner in the fog.
(c) He is killed when his crew mutinies.
(d) His ship is caught in a hurricane.
2. According to the Frenchman speaking to Marlow, what does one not die from?
(a) Being afraid.
(b) Fearful sounds.
(c) Being angry.
(d) Accidents at sea.
3. How long does Jim clutch the tiller in an attempt to avoid being thrown off of the lifeboat?
(a) Two hours.
(b) Three hours.
(c) Six hours.
(d) Ten hours.
4. How do the other three in the lifeboat feel when they realize that Jim - not the other engineer - is on the lifeboat?
(a) They are happy.
(b) They are furious.
(c) They are sad.
(d) They are curious.
5. What is the name of Doramin's son?
(a) James Conrad.
(b) Kassim Allang.
(c) Dain Waris.
(d) John Elliot.
6. Where does Jim learn his sailing skills?
(a) From the mercantile marines.
(b) From his uncle.
(c) From the Navy.
(d) From his father.
7. Over breakfast, where do Stein and Marlow decide that Jim should go to live?
8. How many people are aboard Chester's ship when it leaves the Australian port and steams into the Pacific Ocean?
(a) 36 people.
(b) 22 people.
(c) 47 people.
(d) 15 people.
9. As the captain and the drunken man are fighting, what happens to the ship?
(a) The ship catches on fire.
(b) The ship's sails go slack.
(c) The ship runs across something.
(d) The ship's engines fail.
10. How many quartermasters does the captain of the rescuing ship send on board the Patna?
11. In whose courtyard is Jim held prisoner?
12. How many days do the four crew members sail on the passing steamer before the steamer reaches port?
(a) Ten days.
(b) Six days.
(c) Fifteen days.
(d) Three days.
13. What is the name of the ship that Jim takes the job of chief mate on?
(a) The Patna.
(b) The Modicum.
(c) The Gustav.
(d) The Eagle.
14. On Marlow's next trip to the region where Jim is working with the ship-chandlers, what does Marlow learn?
(a) That Jim has run away once again.
(b) That Jim has stolen from the ship-chandlers.
(c) That Jim has bought his own ship.
(d) That Jim has been killed.
15. What does Jim feel he can obtain by going to the place suggested by Stein and Marlow?
(a) A fine home.
(b) A clean slate.
(c) A servant boy.
(d) A young wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two items does Jim return from Stein's house with?
2. What order does Jim receive from the captain when the captain stops fighting with the drunken man?
3. What is the name of the engineer who collapses from a heart attack aboard the Patna?
4. What is the name of the man Jim makes eye contact with during the inquiry trial?
5. How does the Batu Kring's head man refer to Jim?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)