|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the court cancel for both the chief mate and the skipper?
(a) Their mandates.
(b) Their appointments.
(c) Their certificates.
(d) Their licenses.
2. How does Chester die?
(a) He is killed when his crew mutinies.
(b) His ship is caught in a hurricane.
(c) He is shot in the Amazon jungle.
(d) His ship is struck by a schooner in the fog.
3. What is the name of the engineer who collapses from a heart attack aboard the Patna?
4. When Jim sees Marlow face-to-face at the ship-chandlers, what does Marlow ask Jim?
(a) Why he wrote for the inquiry's findings.
(b) Why he left his previous position.
(c) Why he revealed his Patna history.
(d) Why he joked about the Patna.
5. Who is Tamb' Itam?
(a) Dain's personal servant.
(b) Doramin's personal servant.
(c) Jim's personal servant.
(d) Kassim's personal servant.
6. According to the Frenchman speaking to Marlow, what does one not die from?
(a) Being angry.
(b) Accidents at sea.
(c) Being afraid.
(d) Fearful sounds.
7. As the captain and the drunken man are fighting, what happens to the ship?
(a) The ship's sails go slack.
(b) The ship runs across something.
(c) The ship catches on fire.
(d) The ship's engines fail.
8. Before he even realizes what he's doing, what does Jim do as it begins to rain?
(a) Incites a panic.
(b) Jumps into the lifeboat.
(c) Punches the engineer.
(d) Yells at the captain.
9. Where does Jim learn his sailing skills?
(a) From the mercantile marines.
(b) From his uncle.
(c) From his father.
(d) From the Navy.
10. After escaping from his captors, what does Jim show at a nearby settlement that convinces the settlement's people to care for Jim?
(a) A gun.
(b) A ring.
(c) A dollar bill.
(d) A knife.
11. After hearing about the opportunity that Stein and Marlow have in mind for Jim, how does Jim get to Stein's house for his final instructions?
12. How many days do the four crew members sail on the passing steamer before the steamer reaches port?
(a) Fifteen days.
(b) Six days.
(c) Three days.
(d) Ten days.
13. While held prisoner, what item do the captors bring to Jim to fix?
(a) A sledge.
(b) A claim.
(c) A sail.
(d) A clock.
14. At Marlow's business meeting, what is the name of the admiral who ruins the plot of the man from Madagascar's business scheme?
(a) Admiral Richey.
(b) Admiral Elliot.
(c) Admiral Grandon.
(d) Admiral Pierre.
15. How does the Batu Kring's head man refer to Jim?
(a) As Turan Jim.
(b) As Tetran Jim.
(c) As Talib Jim.
(d) As Tuan Jim.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man who meets Jim and tells him that the Rajah wants to see him?
2. What is the name of the ship that Jim takes the job of chief mate on?
3. What is the name of the principal shipping master?
4. In whose courtyard is Jim held prisoner?
5. How does Jim feel when he learns of the chance to relocate to the place that Stein and Marlow suggest?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)