|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Doramin?
(a) The Rajah's aide.
(b) A rebel leader.
(c) A chief of the second power.
(d) Marlow's uncle.
2. After escaping from his captors, what does Jim show at a nearby settlement that convinces the settlement's people to care for Jim?
(a) A knife.
(b) A dollar bill.
(c) A gun.
(d) A ring.
3. Once the survivors arrive in port, where does the captain immediately go?
(a) To the harbor office.
(b) To the company's office.
(c) To the nearest bar.
(d) To the post office.
4. How many quartermasters does the captain of the rescuing ship send on board the Patna?
5. What is the name of the Sultan's uncle who extorts and steals from the country-born Malays?
(a) Rajah Allang.
(b) Robert Allang.
(c) Rajah Elliot.
(d) Robert Elliot.
6. How many years elapse after Jim first leaves for Patusan and when Marlow is first able to visit Jim?
(a) Two years.
(b) Four years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Three years.
7. Why can the Patna's captain and his fellow ship abandoners not free their lifeboat?
(a) A mooring line is caught.
(b) They panic and forget how to launch the lifeboat.
(c) A sliding bolt is jammed.
(d) They are not strong enough.
8. How do the other three in the lifeboat feel when they realize that Jim - not the other engineer - is on the lifeboat?
(a) They are happy.
(b) They are curious.
(c) They are sad.
(d) They are furious.
9. What does Jim reveal to Marlow during their face-to-face meeting that Jim truly desires?
(a) For Marlow's friend to forgive him.
(b) For Marlow's friendship to continue.
(c) For his past to be revealed.
(d) For his past to be buried.
10. For how many days is Jim held prisoner before his successful escape?
11. According to the Frenchman speaking to Marlow, what does one not die from?
(a) Being afraid.
(b) Accidents at sea.
(c) Fearful sounds.
(d) Being angry.
12. What is the name of the passing steamer that picks up the four crew members after they abandon their ship?
(a) The Eagle.
(b) The Avondale.
(c) The Patna.
(d) The Ossian.
13. Two men are looking for Jim in order to offer him a position to manage the island they are trying to establish. Where is the operation located?
(a) In the Walpole Reefs.
(b) In the Eastern Mediterranean.
(c) Off of Cape Cod.
(d) Off of Cape Horn.
14. When does the attack on Ali's compound - as plotted by Jim - begin?
(a) At sunrise.
(b) At midnight.
(c) At midday.
(d) At sunset.
15. When the police finally catch up to the Patna's chief engineer, what is the chief engineer raving about?
(a) Ice cream.
(c) Dead passengers.
(d) Pink frogs.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the time when the Frenchman and Marlow are conversing, what is Jim's occupation?
2. On Marlow's next trip to the region where Jim is working with the ship-chandlers, what does Marlow learn?
3. When Jim sees Marlow face-to-face at the ship-chandlers, what does Marlow ask Jim?
4. In the time leading up to the attack on the compound, where are Jim and Dain Waris concealing themselves?
5. What is the name of the man Jim makes eye contact with during the inquiry trial?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)