|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of ship finds the listing Patna?
(a) A cutter.
(b) A tugboat.
(c) A schooner.
(d) A gunboat.
2. What is the name of Doramin's son?
(a) Dain Waris.
(b) Kassim Allang.
(c) James Conrad.
(d) John Elliot.
3. Over breakfast, where do Stein and Marlow decide that Jim should go to live?
4. How many people are aboard Chester's ship when it leaves the Australian port and steams into the Pacific Ocean?
(a) 15 people.
(b) 22 people.
(c) 36 people.
(d) 47 people.
5. As the captain and the drunken man are fighting, what happens to the ship?
(a) The ship's sails go slack.
(b) The ship's engines fail.
(c) The ship catches on fire.
(d) The ship runs across something.
6. At Marlow's business meeting, what is the name of the admiral who ruins the plot of the man from Madagascar's business scheme?
(a) Admiral Pierre.
(b) Admiral Elliot.
(c) Admiral Richey.
(d) Admiral Grandon.
7. What two items does Jim return from Stein's house with?
(a) A letter and a horse.
(b) A ring and a revolver.
(c) A letter and a revolver.
(d) A letter and a ring.
8. Where is the ship that finds the Patna registered?
9. What does Jim reveal to Marlow during their face-to-face meeting that Jim truly desires?
(a) For his past to be revealed.
(b) For Marlow's friendship to continue.
(c) For Marlow's friend to forgive him.
(d) For his past to be buried.
10. What is the name of the house where Jim and Marlow spend an evening talking during the inquiry?
(a) Malabar House.
(b) Manor House.
(c) Miramar House.
(d) Middle House.
11. How many days do the four crew members sail on the passing steamer before the steamer reaches port?
(a) Three days.
(b) Six days.
(c) Ten days.
(d) Fifteen days.
12. Why can the Patna's captain and his fellow ship abandoners not free their lifeboat?
(a) They panic and forget how to launch the lifeboat.
(b) They are not strong enough.
(c) A sliding bolt is jammed.
(d) A mooring line is caught.
13. How do the other three in the lifeboat feel when they realize that Jim - not the other engineer - is on the lifeboat?
(a) They are sad.
(b) They are furious.
(c) They are curious.
(d) They are happy.
14. What do Jewel and Tamb' Itam have in common?
(a) They are both devoted to Jim.
(b) They are both slaves.
(c) They both served in the military.
(d) They both never speak.
15. How long does Jim reside in the place he chooses after leaving Doramin's place?
(a) Ten weeks.
(b) Four weeks.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Six weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. In whose courtyard is Jim held prisoner?
2. What is the name of the nautical assessor who is presiding over the inquiry and who captains a steel steamer?
3. On Marlow's next trip to the region where Jim is working with the ship-chandlers, what does Marlow learn?
4. On board, Jim witnesses a drunken man verbally abusing the captain. Who is the drunkard?
5. What is the name of the man whose job Jim will be taking over for Stein's company?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)