|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Jim when the captain and the drunken man are fighting?
(a) In the engine room.
(b) In the mess area.
(c) In the lookout perch.
(d) On the ship's bridge.
2. How many quartermasters does the captain of the rescuing ship send on board the Patna?
3. What is the name of the Sultan's uncle who extorts and steals from the country-born Malays?
(a) Robert Allang.
(b) Rajah Allang.
(c) Rajah Elliot.
(d) Robert Elliot.
4. How long does Jim reside in the place he chooses after leaving Doramin's place?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) Ten weeks.
(d) Four weeks.
5. What does Jim reveal to Marlow during their face-to-face meeting that Jim truly desires?
(a) For his past to be revealed.
(b) For Marlow's friendship to continue.
(c) For his past to be buried.
(d) For Marlow's friend to forgive him.
6. What is the name of the ship-chandlers with whom Jim finds work?
(a) Blake and Elliot.
(b) Elliot and Moore.
(c) Moore and Blake.
(d) Egstrom and Blake.
7. What is the name of the passing steamer that picks up the four crew members after they abandon their ship?
(a) The Avondale.
(b) The Patna.
(c) The Ossian.
(d) The Eagle.
8. When Jim sees Marlow face-to-face at the ship-chandlers, what does Marlow ask Jim?
(a) Why he wrote for the inquiry's findings.
(b) Why he left his previous position.
(c) Why he joked about the Patna.
(d) Why he revealed his Patna history.
9. What is the name of the engineer who collapses from a heart attack aboard the Patna?
10. What is the name of the man whose job Jim will be taking over for Stein's company?
11. While held prisoner, what item do the captors bring to Jim to fix?
(a) A clock.
(b) A sail.
(c) A sledge.
(d) A claim.
12. Over breakfast, where do Stein and Marlow decide that Jim should go to live?
13. How many people are aboard Chester's ship when it leaves the Australian port and steams into the Pacific Ocean?
(a) 47 people.
(b) 36 people.
(c) 15 people.
(d) 22 people.
14. How many passengers are on the Patna before the incident under inquiry occurs?
(a) 50 people.
(b) 570 people.
(c) 425 people.
(d) 800 people.
15. After leaving Doramin's house, with whom does Jim take up lodging in Patusan?
Short Answer Questions
1. Two men are looking for Jim in order to offer him a position to manage the island they are trying to establish. Where is the operation located?
2. Where is the ship that finds the Patna registered?
3. After hearing about the opportunity that Stein and Marlow have in mind for Jim, how does Jim get to Stein's house for his final instructions?
4. In his room while writing letters for Jim, what does Marlow expect to hear when Jim steps out on the balcony?
5. What two items does Jim return from Stein's house with?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)