1. In the story's opening chapter, what is Jim's occupation?
(a) A ship builder.
(b) A water clerk.
(c) A handyman.
(d) A store owner.
2. How many brothers does Jim have?
3. Where does Jim learn his sailing skills?
(a) From the mercantile marines.
(b) From his father.
(c) From the Navy.
(d) From his uncle.
4. How long does Jim's sailing training last?
(a) Twelve months.
(b) Two years.
(c) Eighteen months.
(d) Twenty-four months.
5. On board ship, Jim is injured and unable to work. What happens?
(a) Jim fell overboard.
(b) Another crew member fought with Jim.
(c) Jim slipped on the deck.
(d) A falling spar hit Jim.
6. What is the name of the ship that Jim takes the job of chief mate on?
(a) The Patna.
(b) The Gustav.
(c) The Eagle.
(d) The Modicum.
7. On board, Jim witnesses a drunken man verbally abusing the captain. Who is the drunkard?
(a) The engineer.
(b) The chief mate.
(c) The first mate.
(d) The navigator.
This section contains 4,508 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)