|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are newspapers better at serving the people in 2000 than in 1887?
2. What does Edith find strange about Julian's reaction to his old home?
3. What does the reader think happens at the beginning of Chapter 28?
4. At what age do boys in 1887 begin work?
5. Who selects judges in 2000?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are four causes of waste in 1887 society? What effects did this waste have on 1887 society? How was this problem remedied in 2000? Therefore, what is the main message or theme here?
Essay Topic 2
One literary technique used throughout this book is alternating chapters, where one chapter is used to discuss society and one is used to demonstrate the blooming relationship between Julian and Edith. What is the purpose of this technique? What does this technique offer the reader? Does this technique enhance the story?
Essay Topic 3
Through out the book Dr. Leete presents a superior attitude when comparing 1887 to 2000. Provide examples of this superior attitude. How does Julian feel about it? Does Dr. Leete feel better than Julian himself or does his superiority concern society in general?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)