|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Julian feeling after a walk through the city?
2. How long does the narrator sleep?
3. What does Dr. Leete claim really occurred?
4. According to the philosophy of 2000, what should happen if someone gives less than his all to a job?
5. What is one incentive for workers to do their best?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Julian describe Sundays in 1887?
2. What is the justice system like in 2000?
3. What is women's role in the workforce in 2000?
4. What do citizens in 2000 do after retirement?
5. What are the wealthy's various views of the poor?
6. What does Dr. Leete suggest differentiates the thinking of the 19th century from the 20th century?
7. What does Dr. Leete suggest would happen if people from the 19th century had leisure time?
8. How does Mr. Barton's church work?
9. According to Dr. Leete, what is excessive individualism?
10. What is the function of the invalid corps?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the notion of corruption mentioned several time in this book. What factors of society are no longer corrupt, according to Dr. Leete? Is Dr. Leete's claim of no corruption in 200 believable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
One literary technique used throughout this book is alternating chapters, where one chapter is used to discuss society and one is used to demonstrate the blooming relationship between Julian and Edith. What is the purpose of this technique? What does this technique offer the reader? Does this technique enhance the story?
Essay Topic 3
While in 2000, Julian visits his old home and sleeping chamber. During one visit he finds a safe that he know contains gold. What is the irony of this finding? How is this finding insignificant? How would this finding be perceived if found in 1887?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)