|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the narrator first see the city of Boston?
2. How many distribution centers does each ward have?
3. Which class of society does the narrator belong?
4. Who is the strange man the narrator has just met?
5. What does Dr. Leete call Edith when it comes to shopping?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Julian think he would fail to answer the question of how the nation supports all citizens, had he been back in 1887 and was explaining this system to his friends?
2. Why is Edith hesitant to tell Julian what was being discussed as he woke up that first day?
3. How is the narrator found?
4. How does Dr. Leete explain the difference in relationships between 1887 and 2000?
5. What does the narrator compare the classes of 1887 society to?
6. What is the process of receiving goods in 2000?
7. Why is Julian celebratory when the Leetes take him to the library?
8. The narrator states that he has to build a sleeping chamber due to insomnia, what does the sleeping chamber look like?
9. What is the function of the invalid corps?
10. What is the justice system like in 2000?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the philosophy of equality in this society. How is this concept put to the test in terms the diversity of the citizens? Why does this society not experience discrimination that would have been so prevalent in 1887?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the merit system used in 2000. How does Dr. Leete say it works to keep workers motivated? How does this system compare to the system used in 1887?
Essay Topic 3
Society in 1887 was clearly a capitalist society. What type of society was 2000? Provide examples to support your answer.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)