|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what assumption about Edith and Julian is present that Julian finds strange?
(a) They are strangers.
(b) They are not strangers.
(c) They are in love.
(d) They are family.
2. How is Julian feeling after a walk through the city?
(c) In a state of dispair.
(d) Still confused.
3. When Julian awakes confused the next day, what does he do to avoid losing his mental stability?
(a) Goes back to sleep.
(b) Takes medication.
(c) Calls for Dr. Leete.
(d) Goes for a walk.
4. When selecting a trade, who is preference given to?
(a) The hardest working.
(b) The most knowledgable.
(c) There is no preference.
(d) The strongest.
5. Who does the narrator live with in 1887?
(b) Dr. Leeke.
(c) He lives alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator engaged to in 1887?
2. What does the narrator say Human history is?
3. Why is Julian surprised when the waiter is so pleasant?
4. What does the government do if there are not enough volunteers for a trade?
5. What does Julian assume occurred for the change in Boston to have happened?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the result of society spending less individually and more as a whole?
2. How does the labor system work in 2000?
3. What do citizens in 2000 do after retirement?
4. What does Dr. Leete suggest differentiates the thinking of the 19th century from the 20th century?
5. What will Julian's role be in this society?
6. What is in the newspaper from 1887 that would not be experienced in 2000?
7. Why is the narrator's wedding delayed?
8. How are career changes handled in 2000?
9. What is the function of the invalid corps?
10. How does Julian describe Sundays in 1887?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)