|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1887, what could a man volunteering to be a waiter not be according to critics?
(b) A scholar.
(c) A gentlemen.
(d) Upper class.
2. When selecting a trade, who is preference given to?
(a) The hardest working.
(b) There is no preference.
(c) The strongest.
(d) The most knowledgable.
3. How long does the narrator sleep?
(a) 113 years.
(b) 120 years.
(c) 100 years.
(d) 25 years.
4. What does the government do if there are not enough volunteers for a trade?
(a) Reduce production or activities of that trade.
(c) Draft volunteers.
5. In Boston 2000, why are all men entitled to a decent life?
(a) Because of a vote.
(b) Because they all work the same amount.
(c) Because they are human.
(d) Because they fought for it.
6. What does Dr. Leete call Edith when it comes to shopping?
(b) A pro.
7. When is music available to people in 2000?
(a) Once a week.
(b) 2 times a week.
(c) 24 hours a day.
(d) 12 hours a day.
8. Where does the narrator assume the ash around his sleeping chamber comes from?
(a) A bulldozer.
(b) A fire.
(c) Nuclear holocaust.
9. How long is the narrator's second nap at the Leete's home?
(a) 68 years.
(b) 1 hour.
(c) 12 hours.
(d) 4 days.
10. How many grades per work group exist?
11. As the narrator looks around at Boston in 2000, what does he mention as the most noticeable difference between his time and the present?
(a) The presence of cars.
(b) The lack of people.
(c) The absence of chimneys.
(d) The height of buildings.
12. What does the narrator say the city in general demonstrates?
(a) Material prosperity.
(b) Destruction of society.
13. Who is the strange man the narrator has just met?
(a) Mr. Barton.
(b) Dr. Leete.
(c) Dr. Jones.
14. How is Julian feeling after a walk through the city?
(a) Still confused.
(d) In a state of dispair.
15. Who is the narrator engaged to in 1887?
(a) Edith Barlett.
(b) Edith Leeke.
(c) Sarah Barlett.
(d) Sarah Leeke.
Short Answer Questions
1. After walking through the city, how does Julian find his way back to the Leete's home?
2. What does Edith make Julian promise he will not do alone?
3. Why is there no advantage in choosing one distribution center over another?
4. When Julian awakes confused the next day, what does he do to avoid losing his mental stability?
5. What are men motivated by with this system?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)