|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Takumi call the hat that he puts on as he and Miles set out to start the pre-prank in “three days before”?
2. What is the name that Alaska coined for the fried burritos they serve in the cafeteria?
3. What do Takumi and Miles do when they think they hear the Eagle knocking at Miles's door while they're smoking in "twenty-nine days after"?
4. What is the name of the "preeminent scholar of deviant sexuality in adolescents" that Chip and the others have concocted for their prank in "eighty-four days after"?
5. What does Lara's roommate do when Miles comes to her dorm room to apologize in "forty-six days after"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main subject of Miles's focus in "four days before"? What are Chip and Alaska doing during this time?
2. What "experiment" do Miles and Chip attempt to conduct in "twenty-seven days after"? How do they go about conducting this experiment?
3. How does Miles explain his complicated feelings regarding Lara in "thirty-seven days after"?
4. What information do Miles and Chip learn from the police officer in "thirteen days after"?
5. What plan does Alaska announce to Miles, Takumi, and Chip in "eight days before"?
6. What emotions does Miles express following Alaska's death in "two days after"?
7. What does Chip reveal to Miles and Takumi after his phone call with Jake in "twenty-nine days after"?
8. What realizations does Miles make after he discovers Alaska's doodle on the wall by the phone in "sixty-two days after"?
9. What conclusion does Chip reach after the discussion with the police officer in "thirteen days after"?
10. How have Miles's thoughts about Alaska and her death evolved in "twenty-one days after"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the school dynamics, relationships, and hierarchies established in the first chapters of the novel. Who are the “Weekday Warriors” and why does Chip dislike this group of students? What is Mr. Starnes’s role at the school? Who is “the Jury”?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the actions, objectives, and obstacles in enacting the pre-prank called “Barn Night.” What are the actions and objectives of Takumi and Miles? What actions does Lara commit toward the goal? Are the students successful in achieving their objective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of loyalty in Looking for Alaska. How is this theme developed through the characters of Miles, Alaska, Chip, and Takumi? How does the author develop this theme through the novel’s setting? What does loyalty mean to the characters in the story?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)