|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At home, how would you describe Oliver and the fires in the fireplace?
2. What does Eugene get a lot of teasing for as a young boy?
3. What job does Ben have?
4. Who does Ben work for?
5. Who does Ben go to see?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe Eugene's attitude about the war.
2. How does Eugene handle the loss of the relationship with Laura?
3. How the narrative in this chapter show that the rest of Eugene's family is too self absorbed to deal with his personal problems.
4. In what ways does Steve reflect his father's personality?
5. Briefly describe Oliver Gant's experience in Sydney.
6. Why do you think the family chooses to have the funeral in the Presbyterian church?
7. What is Gant's relationship with Eugene his youngest son, when Eugene is a small boy.
8. How would you describe Ben?
9. Why do you think all of the Gant boys seem to want to go to war?
10. Briefly describe Ben's attitude about the war.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Outline the different social classes that are evident in the southern culture as it is described in the book. Explain how Eugene related to these different social classes.
Essay Topic 2
List several experiences in Eugene's life that helped him gain self confidence. Explain how each experience made a difference in his life. Do you think he possessed a healthy level of self confidence by the end of the book? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The Gant family traveled much more than most families traveled in the early 1900s. How do you think the amount of travel effected the lives of the different members of the family and how did it effect the family as a whole?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)