|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Steve returns in this chapter, where has he been?
2. Where has Oliver been when Steve goes to get him?
3. What does Oliver threaten to do to Eliza?
4. How old is Eugene in chapter 22?
5. What does Oliver build for Eliza?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly explain the role of travel in the lives of the Gant family.
2. Why do you think it is significant that both of Eugene's parents attend his graduation?
3. Briefly describe Gant's deteriorating family situation.
4. Briefly explain the importance of the deal that Eugene makes with Hugh.
5. How do you think Eugene's personal appearance effects his confidence and self esteem?
6. Why do you think the family chooses to have the funeral in the Presbyterian church?
7. In this chapter (26) Eugene takes trip with some friends to Charleston what is the most significant episode on this trip? Briefly explain.
8. What significant event happens to Eugene when he is at home at Christmas?
9. How do you think the amount of travel which Eugene is a part of as a child, effects his later years?
10. Is it significant that the two brothers, and not the sisters or parents are responsible for making the funeral arrangements for Ben?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think the racial expressions and descriptions used in this book are a reflection of the author's personal prejudices or are they simply an accurate portrayal of southern life in the early 1900s?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Helen develops such a close and long lasting relationship with Oliver Gant? Do you think there is more to this relationship than we are told?
Essay Topic 3
Outline the various attitudes that are reflected by the men of the Gant family towards the war? How do these attitudes help to explain their view of their own masculinity?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)