|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Eugene not tell about his new job?
2. Where does Eugene stay while his mother is away?
3. Who is Horse Hines?
4. What prompts Gant's rampage in this chapter?
5. What would best describe Eliza's business interests?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think visiting prostitutes is important to Eugene as he is finishing college?
2. What do you think Eugene's laughter at the funeral home signifies?
3. Why do you think Eugene is trying to put and weight and why does he feel so bad about not being able to go to war?
4. Briefly explain the Gant childrens' work experiences as children.
5. Briefly describe Eugene's attitude about the war.
6. What significant event happens to Eugene when he is at home at Christmas?
7. How do you think Eugene's personal appearance effects his confidence and self esteem?
8. How do you think this chapter (24) reflects the heart of the Leonards as educators.
9. How do you think the amount of travel which Eugene is a part of as a child, effects his later years?
10. Why do you think Eugene went to his father to get money for his trip to Virginia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Gant family traveled much more than most families traveled in the early 1900s. How do you think the amount of travel effected the lives of the different members of the family and how did it effect the family as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Explain fully the importance of the Leonard's influence on Eugene's life.
Essay Topic 3
List several experiences in Eugene's life that helped him gain self confidence. Explain how each experience made a difference in his life. Do you think he possessed a healthy level of self confidence by the end of the book? Explain your answer.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)