|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In this chapter where does Eugene's father take him?
2. Growing up how do Eugene and his friends treat Jews and Negroes?
3. Who does Mrs. Leonard help with information about the war?
4. Ben gets a physical, what is the result?
5. What prompts Gant's rampage in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What significant event happens to Eugene when he is at home at Christmas?
2. Briefly describe how Eugene sees his siblings.
3. The Gant family is quite dysfunctional how do you think this issue is reflected in the lives of the children?
4. Why do you think the family chooses to have the funeral in the Presbyterian church?
5. What do you think is the significance of Ben's abrupt disappearance in the final chapter?
6. Gant moves to Altamont and meets Eliza Pentland, how does this change his life?
7. How do you think the amount of travel which Eugene is a part of as a child, effects his later years?
8. Gant has many bad traits, but he also does some good things in this story. Describe some of the good things he brings to the family.
9. Explain why you think Ben will not allow Eliza in his room when he is so ill?
10. Why do you think Helen rants against her father following Ben's funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Outline the different social classes that are evident in the southern culture as it is described in the book. Explain how Eugene related to these different social classes.
Essay Topic 2
Explain fully how Eliza's decision to go to the World's Fair shaped the future of the Gant family.
Essay Topic 3
Fully explain the significance of the events of the last chapter as you understand them.
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)