|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Eugene's parents in this chapter (Part 1, Chapter 11)?
2. What does Guy Doak do for Eugene?
3. To what state did Oliver just travel?
4. What is the name of the town where Gant eventually settles?
5. Where does Eugene stay while his mother is away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ben's illness an important part of this book.
2. Why do you think the family chooses to have the funeral in the Presbyterian church?
3. Briefly describe Eugene's relationship with Guy Doak.
4. Do you think that the fact that Eugene is so young when he goes off to college has any effect on him?
5. In what ways does Steve reflect his father's personality?
6. What is Gant's relationship with Eugene his youngest son, when Eugene is a small boy.
7. The Gant family is quite dysfunctional how do you think this issue is reflected in the lives of the children?
8. How does Eugene handle the loss of the relationship with Laura?
9. Briefly describe Gant's deteriorating family situation.
10. How do you think this chapter (24) reflects the heart of the Leonards as educators.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Gant family traveled much more than most families traveled in the early 1900s. How do you think the amount of travel effected the lives of the different members of the family and how did it effect the family as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Outline the various attitudes that are reflected by the men of the Gant family towards the war? How do these attitudes help to explain their view of their own masculinity?
Essay Topic 3
Explain fully the importance of the Leonard's influence on Eugene's life.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)