|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the community where he works called?
2. Ben gets a physical, what is the result?
(a) The doctor tells him he is gravely ill and shouldn't go anywhere
(b) The doctor gives him a glowing report and encourages him to go to war
(c) The doctor gives him a glowing report but discourages him from going to war
(d) Ben doesn't get straight answers from the doctor is thinks he might not be well
3. At this point in the book, where is Ben working?
(a) He is not working
(c) The newspaper
(d) His father's shop
4. In this chapter what problem is Gant obviously still battling?
(a) Brights disease
(b) Prostate cancer
5. What happens to Eugene's parents in this chapter (Part 1, Chapter 11)?
(a) They have a major fight
(b) They move away for a short time
(c) They separate
(d) They divorce
Short Answer Questions
1. What sibling is Eugene especially close to?
2. Who is the previous employee?
3. What is the name of Eliza's rooming house?
4. What does Oliver blame for Steve's problems?
5. In Chapter 23 where does Eliza go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think all of the Gant boys seem to want to go to war?
2. What significant family event takes place in this chapter (29). Briefly explain its significance.
3. What is the significance of Ben's appearance in the last chapter?
4. Briefly describe Eugene's attitude about the war.
5. Explain why you think Ben will not allow Eliza in his room when he is so ill?
6. Who is Bob Sterling and why is he included in this book?
7. Briefly describe Oliver Gant's experience in Sydney.
8. How has Eugene changed from his first semester at college to his last?
9. Briefly describe Gant's deteriorating family situation.
10. Briefly explain the Gant childrens' work experiences as children.
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)