|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Eugene's teachers treat him?
(a) They do not like him at all
(b) They like him but are very afraid of him
(c) They tease him and treat him with affection
(d) They don't pay any attention to him
2. Who does Mrs. Leonard help with information about the war?
(a) George Graves
(d) Jennings Ware
3. Ben gets a physical, what is the result?
(a) Ben doesn't get straight answers from the doctor is thinks he might not be well
(b) The doctor gives him a glowing report and encourages him to go to war
(c) The doctor tells him he is gravely ill and shouldn't go anywhere
(d) The doctor gives him a glowing report but discourages him from going to war
4. In this chapter the positive influence of what woman is highlighted?
(a) Mrs. Leonard
(b) Mrs. Selbourne
5. What does Oliver sell to Eliza?
(a) His shop
(b) His burial plot
(c) The angel
(d) His interest in the roominghouse
Short Answer Questions
1. To what state did Oliver just travel?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 18 where does Steve live?
3. What is true about food in the Gant home?
4. What happens to Eliza in 1900?
5. In Chapter 23 where does Eliza go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Helen rants against her father following Ben's funeral?
2. Why do you think it is significant that both of Eugene's parents attend his graduation?
3. What is the significance of the fact that Gant sells the angel from in front of his shop to Eliza.
4. Why do you think Eugene is trying to put and weight and why does he feel so bad about not being able to go to war?
5. Briefly describe Eugene's relationship with Guy Doak.
6. Is it significant that the two brothers, and not the sisters or parents are responsible for making the funeral arrangements for Ben?
7. Why do you think Eugene went to his father to get money for his trip to Virginia?
8. Why do you think Eliza continues to allow Gant to come to Dixieland?
9. What is the major stumbling block to this relationship?
10. Do you think that the fact that Eugene is so young when he goes off to college has any effect on him?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)