|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Ben work for?
(a) His mother
(b) His father
(c) The newspaper
(d) A magazine company
2. What is the community where he works called?
3. Who is Eugene Gant?
(a) Oliver's brother
(b) Another name for Steve Gant
(c) Eliza's child by Oliver's brother
(d) Oliver and Eliza's youngest child
4. Who continues to emerge as a real inspiration to Eugene?
(a) Mrs. Leonard
(d) Jennings Ward
5. At home, how would you describe Oliver and the fires in the fireplace?
(a) He won't allow fires to be built in the fireplace
(b) He builds small fires
(c) He never builds a fire
(d) He builds enormous fires
Short Answer Questions
1. In this chapter the positive influence of what woman is highlighted?
2. What disease does Oliver Gant have?
3. What best describes Eugene's attitude toward sports?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 7 how old is Oliver Gant?
5. What characteristic do most of Ben's girlfriends have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. How the narrative in this chapter show that the rest of Eugene's family is too self absorbed to deal with his personal problems.
2. Briefly explain why Helen's wedding at the Presbyterian church is important.
3. What is unusual about Gant's involvement in the temperance movement?
4. Do you think that the fact that Eugene is so young when he goes off to college has any effect on him?
5. Briefly describe Ben's attitude about the war.
6. How does the job as a paper boy build his confidence?
7. Why do you think all of the Gant boys seem to want to go to war?
8. Briefly explain the Gant childrens' work experiences as children.
9. Who is Bob Sterling and why is he included in this book?
10. Why is Laura James an important character?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)