|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ben gets a physical, what is the result?
(a) Ben doesn't get straight answers from the doctor is thinks he might not be well
(b) The doctor tells him he is gravely ill and shouldn't go anywhere
(c) The doctor gives him a glowing report but discourages him from going to war
(d) The doctor gives him a glowing report and encourages him to go to war
2. Where else does Eugene go in this chapter?
(a) The library
(b) The prostitute's house
(c) His church
(d) The quarry where his father gets stones
3. What happens to Daisy in this chapter?
(a) She becomes very ill
(b) She is killed by a horse
(c) She gets married
(d) She moves to New Orleans
4. What is the name of the school that Eugene begins attending in this chapter?
(a) Altamont Fitting School
(b) Altamont School for Boys
(c) Leonard Normal School
(d) Dixieland High School
5. Gilbert Guant changed his name to what?
(a) Albert Gant
(b) Wilbert Gant
(c) Gilbert Gant
(d) Thomas Gant
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eugene get a lot of teasing for as a young boy?
2. What job does Ben have?
3. Where has Oliver been when Steve goes to get him?
4. What else has Eugene memorized?
5. What does Eliza want from Oliver?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think visiting prostitutes is important to Eugene as he is finishing college?
2. Is it significant that the two brothers, and not the sisters or parents are responsible for making the funeral arrangements for Ben?
3. Why do you think the family chooses to have the funeral in the Presbyterian church?
4. How do you think the amount of travel which Eugene is a part of as a child, effects his later years?
5. Briefly describe Eugene's experience as a paper boy.
6. How does the job as a paper boy build his confidence?
7. Why is Ben's illness an important part of this book.
8. Briefly describe Gant's deteriorating family situation.
9. What is the significance of Eugene going to Virginia?
10. Why do you think all of the Gant boys seem to want to go to war?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)