|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Ben fight in this chapter?
2. Who is Simon?
(a) A millionaire who comes to live at Dixieland
(b) Will Pentland's partner
(c) A poor neighbor who lives next to Dixieland
(d) A partner in the stonecutter shop
3. What else has Eugene memorized?
(a) The Declaration of Independence
(b) The peridoic table of chemicals
(c) Many French poems
(d) Many English poems
4. What does Eugene win in this chapter?
(a) A baseball game
(b) A poker game
(c) A bet on a horse
(d) An essay contest
5. What illness does Eliza have?
(a) Bright's disease
(c) Heart disease
6. In Part 1, Chapter 7 how old is Oliver Gant?
7. At this point in the book, where is Ben working?
(b) He is not working
(c) His father's shop
(d) The newspaper
8. What is Eugene's principal's name?
(a) Mr. Dalton
(b) Mr. Graham
(c) Mr. Leonard
(d) Mr. Spaulding
9. To what state did Oliver just travel?
(c) New York
10. What is the name of the school that Eugene begins attending in this chapter?
(a) Altamont School for Boys
(b) Leonard Normal School
(c) Dixieland High School
(d) Altamont Fitting School
11. Where does Eugene stay while his mother is away?
(a) At Helen's
(b) At his father's house
(c) At Dixieland
(d) At the Leonards
12. Ben gets a physical, what is the result?
(a) The doctor tells him he is gravely ill and shouldn't go anywhere
(b) The doctor gives him a glowing report but discourages him from going to war
(c) The doctor gives him a glowing report and encourages him to go to war
(d) Ben doesn't get straight answers from the doctor is thinks he might not be well
13. Where else does Eugene go in this chapter?
(a) The library
(b) The quarry where his father gets stones
(c) His church
(d) The prostitute's house
14. What is the community where he works called?
15. At home, how would you describe Oliver and the fires in the fireplace?
(a) He builds enormous fires
(b) He won't allow fires to be built in the fireplace
(c) He never builds a fire
(d) He builds small fires
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Oliver been when Steve goes to get him?
2. What does Eugene get a lot of teasing for as a young boy?
3. Who is the woman from South Carolina who comes to Altamont to stay during the summer and lives at the rooming house?
4. Which character travels with Eliza on most of her trips?
5. Who is the previous employee?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)