|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job does Eugene have?
(a) A paper route
(b) He sells produce
(c) He sells magazines
(d) He works with his father
2. Who is haveing a baby in this chapter?
(c) Mrs. Selbourne
3. Where does Eugene stay while his mother is away?
(a) At his father's house
(b) At Helen's
(c) At the Leonards
(d) At Dixieland
4. From time to time, where to Gant and Eugene go?
(a) The bar
(b) The stonecutter shop
(c) The movies
5. By the age of 15 what set of literary facts does Eugene know?
(a) Virtually every English poet
(b) The works of Charles Dickens
(c) All of Longfellow's poems
(d) Virtually every American novelist
6. To what state did Oliver just travel?
(a) New York
7. Who is Simon?
(a) Will Pentland's partner
(b) A millionaire who comes to live at Dixieland
(c) A partner in the stonecutter shop
(d) A poor neighbor who lives next to Dixieland
8. What else has Eugene memorized?
(a) The peridoic table of chemicals
(b) Many English poems
(c) The Declaration of Independence
(d) Many French poems
9. What is the most difficult part of the job?
(a) Working with his father
(b) Collecting his money
(c) Finding clients
(d) Working for Ben
10. What happens to Eliza in 1900?
(a) She and Oliver's marriage collapses
(b) She gets pregnant again
(c) Her brother Will dies
(d) Steve, her oldest child, dies
11. How would you describe Eugene as a student?
(a) He works very hard and picks things up very fast
(b) He is slow and doesn't work very hard
(c) He picks things up quick but is not very dedicated
(d) He is very slow but works hard to make good grades
12. What is the name of the school that Eugene begins attending in this chapter?
(a) Leonard Normal School
(b) Dixieland High School
(c) Altamont Fitting School
(d) Altamont School for Boys
13. At home, how would you describe Oliver and the fires in the fireplace?
(a) He builds small fires
(b) He builds enormous fires
(c) He never builds a fire
(d) He won't allow fires to be built in the fireplace
14. What does Ben really want to do?
(a) Start his own newspaper
(b) Move to New Orleans
(c) Go to war
(d) Become a war correspondent
15. Who does Ben go to see?
(a) Dr. Coker
(c) Mr. Leonard
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brings Oliver a suitcase full of alcoholic beverages?
2. Who treats Gant for his illness?
3. Who is the dominant force in the Gant home?
4. What kind of church does Eugene usually attend?
5. Which character travels with Eliza on most of her trips?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)