|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What caused the scar on Eugene's forehead?
(a) He was kicked by a horse
(b) He was hit by a gate handle
(c) He fell in a well
(d) He was hit in the head by his father's hammer
2. Who does Ben fight in this chapter?
3. What disease does Oliver Gant have?
(a) Crone's disease
(b) Heart failure
(c) Prostate cancer
(d) Brights disease
4. What happens to Daisy in this chapter?
(a) She is killed by a horse
(b) She moves to New Orleans
(c) She becomes very ill
(d) She gets married
5. How would you characterize Eugene and school?
(a) He hates school and does not do well
(b) He hates school but does do well, especially math
(c) He loves school and does well, especially reading
(d) He loves school but doesn't do well, especially reading
6. Where is Guy Doak from?
(a) New Bedford
(b) New York
(c) New Jersey
(d) New Orleans
7. What happens to Eliza in 1900?
(a) She and Oliver's marriage collapses
(b) She gets pregnant again
(c) Her brother Will dies
(d) Steve, her oldest child, dies
8. Who does Gant rent a room to?
(a) A local prostitute
(c) A 49 year old widow
9. To what state did Oliver just travel?
(b) New York
10. What event causes Eliza to go to run a boarding house?
(a) The start of World War I
(b) 1904 World's Series
(c) 1904 World's Fair
(d) The opening of the Empire State building
11. What does Coker do?
(a) He is a pharmacist
(b) He is the local undertaker
(c) He is a lung specialist
(d) He is a stable owner
12. Who is the previous employee?
(a) Jennings Ware
13. What is the name of the school that Eugene begins attending in this chapter?
(a) Dixieland High School
(b) Altamont School for Boys
(c) Leonard Normal School
(d) Altamont Fitting School
14. Gilbert Guant changed his name to what?
(a) Gilbert Gant
(b) Albert Gant
(c) Thomas Gant
(d) Wilbert Gant
15. What does Eliza want from Oliver?
(a) The angel in front of his shop
(b) For him to move back to Dixieland
(c) She needs money for her roominghouse
(d) His stonecutter shop
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Horse Hines?
2. Where does Eugene live most of the time when he is attending the Leonards' school?
3. Who brings Oliver a suitcase full of alcoholic beverages?
4. What would best describe Eliza's business interests?
5. In this chapter what problem is Gant obviously still battling?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)