|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Gant rent a room to?
(a) A local prostitute
(b) A 49 year old widow
2. What does Guy Doak do for Eugene?
(a) Helps him get his money
(b) Helps him learn his school work
(c) Helps him get a girl
(d) Brings him extra food
3. What else has Eugene memorized?
(a) Many French poems
(b) The peridoic table of chemicals
(c) Many English poems
(d) The Declaration of Independence
4. Who is the woman from South Carolina who comes to Altamont to stay during the summer and lives at the rooming house?
(a) Mrs. Osbourne
(b) Mrs. Selbourne
(c) Mrs. Guant
(d) Mrs. Pentland
5. What does Oliver sell to Eliza?
(a) His shop
(b) His interest in the roominghouse
(c) The angel
(d) His burial plot
6. Who treats Gant for his illness?
(b) Dr. McGuire
7. Gilbert Guant changed his name to what?
(a) Albert Gant
(b) Wilbert Gant
(c) Thomas Gant
(d) Gilbert Gant
8. Who does Oliver marry?
(a) Emma Pentley
(b) Eliza Pentland
(c) Alma Pendleton
(d) Wilma Pendergrass
9. What is the family's reaction when he returns?
(a) Eliza is happy but the children are angry
(b) Eliza and the children are upset that he is back
(c) Eliza and the children are glad he's back
(d) Eliza is angry but the children are happy
10. What best describes Eugene's attitude toward sports?
(a) He is a awesome athelete
(b) He loves sports but is not very good himself
(c) He hates sports because he is not very good
(d) He hates sports but could be a great player
11. What does Eugene get a lot of teasing for as a young boy?
(a) His long legs
(b) His stuttering
(c) His long hair
(d) His funny ears
12. What happens to Eugene's parents in this chapter (Part 1, Chapter 11)?
(a) They move away for a short time
(b) They divorce
(c) They separate
(d) They have a major fight
13. What prompts Gant's rampage in this chapter?
(a) Eliza's nagging
(b) His lack of money
(c) His own drinking
(d) Eugene's arrogance
14. What is the name of Eliza's rooming house?
15. What illness does Eliza have?
(b) Bright's disease
(d) Heart disease
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eliza want from Oliver?
2. What does Oliver build for Eliza?
3. What is the most difficult part of the job?
4. Where else does Eugene go in this chapter?
5. Who is the previous employee?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)