|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Guy Doak do for Eugene?
(a) Helps him get a girl
(b) Helps him learn his school work
(c) Brings him extra food
(d) Helps him get his money
2. Who is Simon?
(a) Will Pentland's partner
(b) A partner in the stonecutter shop
(c) A millionaire who comes to live at Dixieland
(d) A poor neighbor who lives next to Dixieland
3. What is the name of the school that Eugene begins attending in this chapter?
(a) Dixieland High School
(b) Leonard Normal School
(c) Altamont Fitting School
(d) Altamont School for Boys
4. Who is Guy Doak?
(a) Ben's boss
(b) Eugene's roommate
(c) A local store owner
(d) A paper boy
5. Who does Oliver marry?
(a) Emma Pentley
(b) Eliza Pentland
(c) Alma Pendleton
(d) Wilma Pendergrass
6. How does Jennings tell Eugene to collect on some accounts?
(a) Take it in trade
(b) Get Ben to help him
(c) Use a gun
(d) Use his fists
7. What does Eliza want from Oliver?
(a) She needs money for her roominghouse
(b) His stonecutter shop
(c) For him to move back to Dixieland
(d) The angel in front of his shop
8. Who is Horse Hines?
(a) A stable owner
(b) The Presbyterian minister
(c) A stonecutter
(d) The local undertaker
9. Who is the dominant force in the Gant home?
10. By the age of 15 what set of literary facts does Eugene know?
(a) Virtually every American novelist
(b) The works of Charles Dickens
(c) All of Longfellow's poems
(d) Virtually every English poet
11. Oliver Gant became an apprentice in what trade?
12. Where does Eugene live most of the time when he is attending the Leonards' school?
(a) His father's home
(b) In a dorm at the school
(c) The Leonards' home
13. Who does Mrs. Leonard help with information about the war?
(c) Jennings Ware
(d) George Graves
14. What social campaign does Gant join?
(a) Liquor by the drink campaign
(b) Anti immigrant campaign
(c) Civil rights campaign
(d) Temperance campaign
15. What do Eugene and George Graves do in this chapter?
(a) Take a trip through town
(b) Take a trip to Daisy's house
(c) Take a trip to Steve's house
(d) Slip out at night and forage for food
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 23 where does Eliza go?
2. What illness does Eliza have?
3. How long does he attend the new school set up by the Leonards?
4. Who does Ben work for?
5. What does Oliver blame for Steve's problems?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)