|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Simon?
(a) Will Pentland's partner
(b) A millionaire who comes to live at Dixieland
(c) A partner in the stonecutter shop
(d) A poor neighbor who lives next to Dixieland
2. Who does Ben work for?
(a) A magazine company
(b) The newspaper
(c) His mother
(d) His father
3. What do Eugene and George Graves do in this chapter?
(a) Take a trip through town
(b) Slip out at night and forage for food
(c) Take a trip to Steve's house
(d) Take a trip to Daisy's house
4. What disease does Oliver Gant have?
(a) Prostate cancer
(b) Brights disease
(c) Crone's disease
(d) Heart failure
5. Who does Ben fight in this chapter?
6. Oliver Gant became an apprentice in what trade?
7. What caused the scar on Eugene's forehead?
(a) He fell in a well
(b) He was kicked by a horse
(c) He was hit by a gate handle
(d) He was hit in the head by his father's hammer
8. In this chapter what problem is Gant obviously still battling?
(a) Prostate cancer
(c) Brights disease
9. Who is the dominant force in the Gant home?
10. What is Eugene's principal's name?
(a) Mr. Spaulding
(b) Mr. Leonard
(c) Mr. Graham
(d) Mr. Dalton
11. How would you characterize Eugene and school?
(a) He loves school but doesn't do well, especially reading
(b) He hates school and does not do well
(c) He loves school and does well, especially reading
(d) He hates school but does do well, especially math
12. Who is Guy Doak?
(a) Ben's boss
(b) Eugene's roommate
(c) A local store owner
(d) A paper boy
13. Who dies of typhoid in this chapter?
14. Who brings Oliver a suitcase full of alcoholic beverages?
15. To what state did Oliver just travel?
(d) New York
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the school that Eugene begins attending in this chapter?
2. Who is the woman from South Carolina who comes to Altamont to stay during the summer and lives at the rooming house?
3. By the age of 15 what set of literary facts does Eugene know?
4. Where does Eugene stay while his mother is away?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 7 how old is Oliver Gant?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)