|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In this chapter the positive influence of what woman is highlighted?
(b) Mrs. Leonard
(d) Mrs. Selbourne
2. In Chapter 23 where does Eliza go?
(a) To South Carolina
(b) To Florida
(c) To New Orleans
(d) To the World's Fair
3. What job does Eugene take on in chapter 22?
(a) Working at a mill
(b) Working at Dixieland
(c) A paper route
(d) Working for his dad
4. Where does Eugene live most of the time when he is attending the Leonards' school?
(a) In a dorm at the school
(c) The Leonards' home
(d) His father's home
5. How would you describe Eugene as a student?
(a) He picks things up quick but is not very dedicated
(b) He is slow and doesn't work very hard
(c) He works very hard and picks things up very fast
(d) He is very slow but works hard to make good grades
6. What happens to Daisy in this chapter?
(a) She gets married
(b) She becomes very ill
(c) She moves to New Orleans
(d) She is killed by a horse
7. What does Eliza want from Oliver?
(a) She needs money for her roominghouse
(b) His stonecutter shop
(c) The angel in front of his shop
(d) For him to move back to Dixieland
8. In Part 1, Chapter 7 how old is Oliver Gant?
9. Who continues to emerge as a real inspiration to Eugene?
(a) Mrs. Leonard
(d) Jennings Ward
10. Who is the previous employee?
(d) Jennings Ware
11. Who does Helen and Luke live with at this stage in the book (Part 2, Chapter 19)?
(a) Oliver Gant
(b) Steve Gant
(c) Eugene Gant
(d) Eliza Gant
12. What do Eugene and George Graves do in this chapter?
(a) Take a trip through town
(b) Take a trip to Steve's house
(c) Take a trip to Daisy's house
(d) Slip out at night and forage for food
13. What best describes Eugene's attitude toward sports?
(a) He hates sports but could be a great player
(b) He loves sports but is not very good himself
(c) He hates sports because he is not very good
(d) He is a awesome athelete
14. Why does Ben want to go to Canada to join the war?
(a) He is sick and the Army won't accept him
(b) He was born in Canada
(c) The US is not yet in the War
(d) He is not old enough
15. What social campaign does Gant join?
(a) Temperance campaign
(b) Civil rights campaign
(c) Anti immigrant campaign
(d) Liquor by the drink campaign
Short Answer Questions
1. Steve returns in this chapter, where has he been?
2. What job does Eugene have?
3. What does Eugene get a lot of teasing for as a young boy?
4. What else has Eugene memorized?
5. At home, how would you describe Oliver and the fires in the fireplace?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)