|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do Eliza and Oliver partner with?
(a) Eliza's father Nathan Pentland
(b) Eliza's brother Will Pentland
(c) Oliver's father Gilbert Gant
(d) Oliver's brother Steve Gant
2. What is the most difficult part of the job?
(a) Collecting his money
(b) Finding clients
(c) Working with his father
(d) Working for Ben
3. Who does Ben go to see?
(a) Dr. Coker
(d) Mr. Leonard
4. What kind of church does Eugene usually attend?
5. How old is Eugene in chapter 22?
6. What event causes Eliza to go to run a boarding house?
(a) The start of World War I
(b) The opening of the Empire State building
(c) 1904 World's Series
(d) 1904 World's Fair
7. Who brings Oliver a suitcase full of alcoholic beverages?
8. What happens to Eugene's parents in this chapter (Part 1, Chapter 11)?
(a) They move away for a short time
(b) They have a major fight
(c) They separate
(d) They divorce
9. What does Guy Doak do for Eugene?
(a) Helps him get his money
(b) Helps him learn his school work
(c) Brings him extra food
(d) Helps him get a girl
10. Why does Ben want to go to Canada to join the war?
(a) The US is not yet in the War
(b) He is sick and the Army won't accept him
(c) He was born in Canada
(d) He is not old enough
11. Where else does Eugene go in this chapter?
(a) The library
(b) The prostitute's house
(c) The quarry where his father gets stones
(d) His church
12. Who is the previous employee?
(d) Jennings Ware
13. From time to time, where to Gant and Eugene go?
(a) The bar
(b) The movies
(d) The stonecutter shop
14. What does Oliver build for Eliza?
(a) A beautiful stone angel
(b) A marble statue
(c) A wooden gazebo
(d) A large house
15. By the age of 15 what set of literary facts does Eugene know?
(a) Virtually every American novelist
(b) All of Longfellow's poems
(c) The works of Charles Dickens
(d) Virtually every English poet
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Horse Hines?
2. Who does Gant rent a room to?
3. How would you discribe Oliver's relationship with Eugene?
4. What illness does Eliza have?
5. Who is haveing a baby in this chapter?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)