|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Eugene stay while his mother is away?
(a) At Dixieland
(b) At Helen's
(c) At the Leonards
(d) At his father's house
2. What job does Eugene take on in chapter 22?
(a) Working at Dixieland
(b) Working at a mill
(c) Working for his dad
(d) A paper route
3. Growing up how do Eugene and his friends treat Jews and Negroes?
(a) They make fun of the Negroes but not the Jews
(b) They are constantly teasing this individuals
(c) They are very helpful to Negroes but not Jews
(d) Eugene and his friends never really have any contact with these groups
4. Who continues to emerge as a real inspiration to Eugene?
(a) Mrs. Leonard
(c) Jennings Ward
5. In Part 2, Chapter 18 where does Steve live?
(b) New Orleans
(d) South Carolina
6. Who is Guy Doak?
(a) Ben's boss
(b) A local store owner
(c) A paper boy
(d) Eugene's roommate
7. At this point in the book, where is Ben working?
(a) His father's shop
(b) He is not working
(d) The newspaper
8. What would best describe Eliza's business interests?
(a) Eliza is doing well but her brother Will is not
(b) She is not a very good business person
(c) The roominghouse is not making money
(d) They are doing very well
9. What is the family's reaction when he returns?
(a) Eliza and the children are glad he's back
(b) Eliza is happy but the children are angry
(c) Eliza and the children are upset that he is back
(d) Eliza is angry but the children are happy
10. Who dies of typhoid in this chapter?
11. By the age of 15 what set of literary facts does Eugene know?
(a) The works of Charles Dickens
(b) Virtually every American novelist
(c) Virtually every English poet
(d) All of Longfellow's poems
12. What is the name of Eliza's rooming house?
13. Who brings Oliver a suitcase full of alcoholic beverages?
14. How long does he attend the new school set up by the Leonards?
(a) 5 years
(b) 6 months
(c) 1 year
(d) 4 years
15. Who is Horse Hines?
(a) The Presbyterian minister
(b) A stable owner
(c) The local undertaker
(d) A stonecutter
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character travels with Eliza on most of her trips?
2. Who is Simon?
3. Gilbert Guant changed his name to what?
4. What disease does Oliver Gant have?
5. What is the most difficult part of the job?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)