|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Eugene not tell about his new job?
(d) The Leonards
2. What happens to Daisy in this chapter?
(a) She gets married
(b) She is killed by a horse
(c) She becomes very ill
(d) She moves to New Orleans
3. Who does Helen and Luke live with at this stage in the book (Part 2, Chapter 19)?
(a) Oliver Gant
(b) Eliza Gant
(c) Eugene Gant
(d) Steve Gant
4. Who does Gant rent a room to?
(a) A 49 year old widow
(d) A local prostitute
5. What would best describe Eliza's business interests?
(a) She is not a very good business person
(b) The roominghouse is not making money
(c) Eliza is doing well but her brother Will is not
(d) They are doing very well
6. What prompts Gant's rampage in this chapter?
(a) Eugene's arrogance
(b) Eliza's nagging
(c) His own drinking
(d) His lack of money
7. What does Oliver blame for Steve's problems?
(b) Eliza's overprotection
(c) Mountain blood
(d) His own drinking
8. Where does Eugene live most of the time when he is attending the Leonards' school?
(a) The Leonards' home
(b) His father's home
(c) In a dorm at the school
9. Who do Eliza and Oliver partner with?
(a) Oliver's father Gilbert Gant
(b) Eliza's father Nathan Pentland
(c) Eliza's brother Will Pentland
(d) Oliver's brother Steve Gant
10. In Chapter 23 where does Eliza go?
(a) To the World's Fair
(b) To South Carolina
(c) To Florida
(d) To New Orleans
11. Which character travels with Eliza on most of her trips?
12. Who is Horse Hines?
(a) A stable owner
(b) A stonecutter
(c) The local undertaker
(d) The Presbyterian minister
13. Who brings Oliver a suitcase full of alcoholic beverages?
14. Ben gets a physical, what is the result?
(a) The doctor gives him a glowing report and encourages him to go to war
(b) The doctor tells him he is gravely ill and shouldn't go anywhere
(c) Ben doesn't get straight answers from the doctor is thinks he might not be well
(d) The doctor gives him a glowing report but discourages him from going to war
15. What is the community where he works called?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Eugene Gant?
2. What is the most difficult part of the job?
3. How does Jennings tell Eugene to collect on some accounts?
4. What happens to Eliza in 1900?
5. What disease does Oliver Gant have?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)