|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gus tell Newt while Call carves the sign for Deets?
2. Who turns out to be the thief?
3. How long has Gus been gone when he returns to Lorena?
4. Who will Elmira not talk to when he comes to visit?
5. Where does July finally see people after so many days?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does July tell Peach is his letter to her?
2. What does Clara tell Gus about marriage?
3. Deets tells Gus and Call that the tracks leading away from the fight with Wilbarger include Jake's horse. What does Gus say?
4. What worries Dish when Call rides off to help Gus?
5. What does Call do for Deets that surprises everyone?
6. What happens between Dish and Dixon?
7. What happens to July near the Republican River?
8. What makes Call mad in Ogallala?
9. Why is Po Campo not as excited about reaching Ogallala as the rest of the crew?
10. Jake asks the Suggs brothers gang about Blue Duck. What do they tell him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Elmira and Lorena are both prostitutes as a matter of circumstances of their lives.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Elmira and Lorena. How are they the same? How are they different?
Part 2) How do Lorena and Elmira show their strengths or weaknesses in their characters?
Part 3) How do Lorena and Elmira each meet the challenges of their circumstances? What choices do they make to improve their lives? How does it work out for them? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Justice is a recurring theme. How do different characters seek and find justice? In what circumstances do they decide not to seek justice? Explain the difference in those circumstances. How does seeking justice (or not seeking justice) affect the plot? Use examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Being racist is to judge a person based on his or her race instead of the person as an individual. Write an essay addressing any racism in Lonesome Dove.
Part 1) Are the Hat Creek men racist toward Mexicans? Include examples from the novel explaining your answer.
Part 2) Are the Hat Creek men racist toward Indians? Include examples from the novel explaining your answer.
Part 3) Do the Hat Creek men discriminate against any other groups? If so, what groups? How do they discriminate? If not, show examples of the men treating other groups as equals.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)