|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gus want to give to Lorena after he dies?
2. What does Dan Suggs want from Wilbarger?
3. What does Clara answer when July first proposes marriage to her?
4. Why does Gus invite Newt to have coffee with him and Lorena?
5. Where does Gus ride to get medical help?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does July offer Gus?
2. What does Clara tell July about Elmira?
3. What happens to July near the Republican River?
4. What does Sally think of Jake when she hears the rumors?
5. What is one of the last things Gus does after Call arrives?
6. What does Old Hugh do for the ranch?
7. Why does Clara get so mad at July?
8. What does Clara suggest to Lorena?
9. What makes Call mad in Ogallala?
10. Jake asks the Suggs brothers gang about Blue Duck. What do they tell him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jake Spoon is both a lawman and an outlaw. He is a former Texas Ranger who dies as part of a murdering gang of horse thieves.
Part 1) How do Jake's characteristics influence his decline from lawman to outlaw? Choose events from the novel that illustrate these characteristics.
Part 2) How does Jake feel about his decline? What are his feelings towards Call and Gus? What are his feelings toward Dan Suggs?
Part 3) Could Jake have redeemed himself? Where in the story could he go back to the right side of the law? How might he have accomplished that? Use examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Newt is a character on the edge of adulthood. Write an essay about Newt's transition to adulthood.
Part 1) What are the rites of passage that define him?
Part 2) What kind of adult does Newt want to become?
Part 3) Who are Newt's role models? Why does he look up to those role models? Use examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Call and Gus have been friends for many years before the start of the novel. Write an essay about the relationship between Call and Gus. Why are they friends? How do they help each other or work as a team? Why does Gus ask Call to take his body to Texas? Why does Call agree?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)