|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Gus ask to watch Lorena while he goes to Wilbarger?
2. Why does Dan Suggs offer Jake a position on their crew when Jake is ready to leave Dallas?
3. What is wrong with Deets?
4. Where does July live?
5. Who decides not to visit the prostitutes after all?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does July do at the bar Elmira used to work at?
2. What happens to Elmira when she sees Dee?
3. Why does Gus not go after Blue Duck?
4. What does July finally decide about Elmira?
5. How does Lorena feel when she hears about Jake's hanging?
6. Why does Clara get so mad at July?
7. What is one of the last things Gus does after Call arrives?
8. What worries Dish when Call rides off to help Gus?
9. What makes Call mad in Ogallala?
10. What does Clara suggest to Lorena?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jake Spoon is both a lawman and an outlaw. He is a former Texas Ranger who dies as part of a murdering gang of horse thieves.
Part 1) How do Jake's characteristics influence his decline from lawman to outlaw? Choose events from the novel that illustrate these characteristics.
Part 2) How does Jake feel about his decline? What are his feelings towards Call and Gus? What are his feelings toward Dan Suggs?
Part 3) Could Jake have redeemed himself? Where in the story could he go back to the right side of the law? How might he have accomplished that? Use examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Gus thinks about the chain of events that Jake sets into motion by not facing the consequences of his accidental shooting in Arkansas. Pick three or four events from the novel. How are these events based on accident or circumstance? How might things have turned out differently if the events you chose did not happen, or happened differently? How are these accidents related to choices made by one or more characters? Use examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Clara accuses Call of ruining his and Gus's life.
Part 1) Did Call ruin Gus's life? How or how not? Use examples from the novel to support your answer.
Part 2) Did Call ruin his own life? How or how not?
Part 3) Does Call ruin Clara's life? In what way? Does she blame Call for Gus's death?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)