|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Clara's daughters fear Clara will do?
2. What is missing in Lonesome Dove when Call returns?
3. Who dies in the thunderstorm?
4. What does Call tell Newt before he leaves to take Gus's body back to Texas?
5. What does Lorena decide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Call do for Deets that surprises everyone?
2. What does Clara tell Gus about marriage?
3. Why does July feel guilty?
4. How does Lorena feel when she hears about Jake's hanging?
5. Why does Call tell the men not to leave, once they found a place for the ranch headquarters?
6. Why does Gus not go after Blue Duck?
7. What does Deets find on the Arkansas River?
8. Deets tells Gus and Call that the tracks leading away from the fight with Wilbarger include Jake's horse. What does Gus say?
9. What does July finally decide about Elmira?
10. Why does Clara get so mad at July?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clara accuses Call of ruining his and Gus's life.
Part 1) Did Call ruin Gus's life? How or how not? Use examples from the novel to support your answer.
Part 2) Did Call ruin his own life? How or how not?
Part 3) Does Call ruin Clara's life? In what way? Does she blame Call for Gus's death?
Essay Topic 2
Being racist is to judge a person based on his or her race instead of the person as an individual. Write an essay addressing any racism in Lonesome Dove.
Part 1) Are the Hat Creek men racist toward Mexicans? Include examples from the novel explaining your answer.
Part 2) Are the Hat Creek men racist toward Indians? Include examples from the novel explaining your answer.
Part 3) Do the Hat Creek men discriminate against any other groups? If so, what groups? How do they discriminate? If not, show examples of the men treating other groups as equals.
Essay Topic 3
There are many deaths along the way in the novel. Pick two deaths from the novel (Sean, Deets, Gus, Elmira, Jake, etc.) Compare and contrast the two deaths. What are the circumstances of each death? How are they similar? How are they different? How do the other characters mourn each death?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)