|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jake do when Lorena tells him about Gus and the fifty-dollar poke she says she turned down?
2. Where is Jake when Gus comes into the Dry Bean and finds Lorena alone?
3. With whom does Newt bond, becoming fast friends?
4. What does Newt do, as he watches Sean dying?
5. The morning after the storm, who is missing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wilbarger want from Call? What does he offer?
2. Not long after Sean's death there is another accident, though not fatal this time. What happens?
3. Why does the bartender at the bar in San Antonio make Gus so mad?
4. What does Gus fear concerning Lorena now that Jake Spoon is in town?
5. What does July decide to do first after getting the telegram from Peach?
6. How does Elmira react to the news that July is going to find Jake Spoon?
7. Why does Blue Duck show so little interest in Lorena?
8. What bothers Newt most about the crew's negative remarks about Jake?
9. What does Gus want to know about July as they go to Blue Duck's camp?
10. What upsets Call when Jake tells him his and Lorena's plans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clara accuses Call of ruining his and Gus's life.
Part 1) Did Call ruin Gus's life? How or how not? Use examples from the novel to support your answer.
Part 2) Did Call ruin his own life? How or how not?
Part 3) Does Call ruin Clara's life? In what way? Does she blame Call for Gus's death?
Essay Topic 2
Call and Gus have been friends for many years before the start of the novel. Write an essay about the relationship between Call and Gus. Why are they friends? How do they help each other or work as a team? Why does Gus ask Call to take his body to Texas? Why does Call agree?
Essay Topic 3
Blue Duck and Dan Suggs are both outlaws with formidable reputations. Compare and contrast Blue Duck and Dan Suggs. How are they similar? How are they different? How does each character affect the plot? Does each character get punishment in line with his crimes?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)