|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Blue Duck do with Lorena when the men fail to kill Gus?
2. What does Louisa want from Roscoe?
3. Knowing that Gus is right and Jake will not take Lorena to San Francisco, where does Jake plan to take her instead?
4. What does Gus go back to Lonesome Dove to get before leaving for Montana?
5. Where do Gus and Call go after finding a new wagon and mules?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jake Spoon talk about at breakfast that interested Call and Gus?
2. Why does Jake call himself a fool?
3. How does Gus teach the bartender to respect him and Call?
4. What upsets Call when Jake tells him his and Lorena's plans?
5. Not long after Sean's death there is another accident, though not fatal this time. What happens?
6. What does Gus do after the battle with Blue Duck's men?
7. What happens to Lorena and Jake during the storm?
8. What does Jake tell Call about he and Lorena tagging along the herd?
9. What does Gus notice about the first forty horses that makes him laugh?
10. What does Gus understand about the constant talk of Sean's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Different characters approach the issue of responsibility differently. Two characters that especially take opposite approaches to responsibility are Jake Spoon and July Johnson.
Part 1) Compare and contrast July Johnson and Jake Spoon. In what ways are they similar? How are they different?
Part 2) How does July's approach to the law affect the story? How do Jake's choices regarding the law affect the story? Cite examples from the novel for each character's choice and the subsequent effect of those choices.
Part 3) How do Jake and July differ with regards to responsibility? How is July responsible? How is he irresponsible? How is Jake responsible? How is he irresponsible?
Essay Topic 2
Being racist is to judge a person based on his or her race instead of the person as an individual. Write an essay addressing any racism in Lonesome Dove.
Part 1) Are the Hat Creek men racist toward Mexicans? Include examples from the novel explaining your answer.
Part 2) Are the Hat Creek men racist toward Indians? Include examples from the novel explaining your answer.
Part 3) Do the Hat Creek men discriminate against any other groups? If so, what groups? How do they discriminate? If not, show examples of the men treating other groups as equals.
Essay Topic 3
Call and Gus feel that they must hang Jake, even though he is their friend, because he is riding with murderers and horse thieves. Jake feels he is innocent because he has not killed anyone or personally taken horses. However, he does not put up a fight and dies an honorable death.
Part 1) Is Jake guilty as a murderer and horse thief? If not, what crime has he committed? Are his crimes worthy of hanging?
Part 2) How does Jake feel about his sentence? Use examples from the novel to support your answer.
Part 3) How does Call feel about hanging Jake? In what ways does he show he might regret it? How does Gus feel about hanging Jake? Does he have any regrets? How does he handle them? Are Gus and Call influenced by other events in the novel in carrying out Jake's sentence?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)