|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Peach and Charlie Barnes want Roscoe to do, once they discover Elmira is gone?
2. When the wagon mules bolt, who tries to head them off?
3. What river do Lorena and Jake reach before the herd?
4. Who is Lorena sitting with at the Dry Bean when Dish arrives?
5. What does Gus offer for "a poke" regardless of whether Lorena wins at cutting the cards or not?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Wilbarger sway Call to make a decision about his restlessness?
2. What does Jake tell Call about he and Lorena tagging along the herd?
3. Why does Jake call himself a fool?
4. How does Jake respond when Gus comes into Jake and Lorena's camp?
5. What does Gus fear concerning Lorena now that Jake Spoon is in town?
6. What does July decide to do first after getting the telegram from Peach?
7. What does Wilbarger want from Call? What does he offer?
8. What does Gus do after the battle with Blue Duck's men?
9. What does Deets warn Lorena?
10. Captain Call was restless. What did he want to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Elmira and Lorena are both prostitutes as a matter of circumstances of their lives.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Elmira and Lorena. How are they the same? How are they different?
Part 2) How do Lorena and Elmira show their strengths or weaknesses in their characters?
Part 3) How do Lorena and Elmira each meet the challenges of their circumstances? What choices do they make to improve their lives? How does it work out for them? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Lorena gets stuck in Lonesome Dove and sees little options for her future other than becoming a prostitute. She sees her occupation as an accident of circumstances.
Part 1) How is Lorena a victim of circumstances? Provide examples from the novel.
Part 2) How much control does Lorena have on her life? Could she make different choices? Use examples from the novel to illustrate Lorena's choices.
Part 3) Does Lorena take charge of her life by the end of the novel? How or how not? Cite examples from the book to support your case.
Essay Topic 3
Who is the central character of Lonesome Dove? Select one (Call, Gus, Newt, Jake, July) and write an essay supporting your choice as the main character of the novel.
Part 1) How does the character you selected change in the story?
Part 2) How does the character influence the other characters or plot? Use examples from the novel.
Part 3) How would the story be different if the novel was presented in that character's point of view only?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)