|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of Call's horse?
(a) Hell Bitch
2. Knowing that Gus is right and Jake will not take Lorena to San Francisco, where does Jake plan to take her instead?
(a) New Mexico
(b) San Antonio
3. Who was Lorena with when Dish goes to see her?
4. What has Elmira told the townspeople about her former husband?
(a) He went North.
(b) She was never married.
(c) He was killed by Indians.
(d) He died of smallpox.
5. What unusual food does Po Campo make?
(a) Fried earthworms
(b) Honey-covered ants
(c) Roadrunner eggs
(d) Fried grasshoppers
6. What does Louisa want from Roscoe?
(a) To marry her and help with the farm
(b) To help her find her husband
(c) A child
(d) To let her come with him
7. What does Jake do when Lorena tells him about Gus and the fifty-dollar poke she says she turned down?
(a) He shoots Gus.
(b) He slaps her.
(c) He takes the fifty dollars.
(d) He cries.
8. Where do Gus and Call go after finding a new wagon and mules?
(b) The Buckhorn saloon
(c) Clara's Orchard
(d) Back to the herd
9. Where does Elmira reluctantly agree to go with two of the whiskey traders?
(a) St. Louis
(c) Fort Worth
(d) Fort Smith
10. How many cattle in all does Gus count?
(a) Four thousand head
(b) Eighteen hundred head
(c) Twenty-six hundred head
(d) Thirty five head
11. Who goes back to Lonesome Dove with the first herd of horses?
(a) Call, Pea Eye, and Newt
(b) Gus, Call, and Pea Eye
(c) Jake, Dish and Deets
(d) Sean and Allen O'Brien
12. What does Call do every night, now that he has decided to go to Montana?
(a) He rounds up free Mexican cattle.
(b) He goes to the Dry Bean to get drunk.
(c) He visits Maggie.
(d) He sleeps peacefully on his feather bed.
13. Who did Clara marry?
(b) Jake Spoon
(c) Bob Allen
(d) Pea Eye
14. What does Lorena tell Jake about gambling?
(a) That she will come with him
(b) That he should go ahead while she stays in camp
(c) That it is against her religion and he must quit
(d) That she hopes he never comes back
15. How many stragglers does Newt ride past in the dust?
(a) Twenty-six hundred head
(b) Thirty-five head
(c) Eighteen hundred head
(d) Four thousand head
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Call let the men stop working early the day Jake returns?
2. Who ropes the second horse for the O'Brien brothers?
3. What assignment in the cattle drive goes to Dish, the top hand?
4. What bothers Monkey John about Lorena?
5. Who brought Lorena to Lonesome Dove?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)