|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After retreating over the mountain, Marcus noticed Mikey was shot, and blood was pouring from where, in Chapter 7?
2. Who insisted that helicopters would come, then took Marcus out of the village into the mountains in Chapter 11?
3. Sarawa and other villagers took Marcus away to a cave on what day in Chapter 10?
4. Who used his mobile phone to try and reach help in Chapter 8?
5. When Danny was shot a third time in Chapter 7, it was where?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Marcus and his team members head after landing in Chapter 7?
2. What did Marcus's team decide to do about the goatherds in Chapter 7? Why?
3. What happened after Marcus and his team released the goatherds in Chapter 7? What led to gunfire erupting?
4. How is the atmosphere at Marcus's family's home described in Chapter 11?
5. What happened when Marcus was taken into the village in Chapter 10? Who came and interrogated him?
6. Who told the men to fall back in the beginning of Chapter 8? How was Marcus saved by a fallen log in the chapter?
7. What did Marcus do in order to mark his location to rescuers in Chapter 11? Why was finding a way out of the village important?
8. What plan did Marcus and the villagers develop in order to reach the military base in Chapter 10? What was Marcus treated with for pain?
9. In what ways did the villagers show generosity in protecting Marcus in Chapter 11? How did he attempt to repay them?
10. How does the author describe the atmosphere at Marcus's parents home in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the developments in the war in Afghanistan today. How has President Obama's strategy in the war differed from that of George W. Bush? How has support for the war evolved in the past five years? Would Marcus agree or disagree with the state of the war?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Marcus's training at Fort Benning, the Eighteenth Delta Force, Fort Bragg and Panama City. What did Marcus become certified in through this training? Also discuss the impact of the World Trade Center attacks on September 11, 2001. How did this event affect Marcus and his view of the military?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Axe in the narrative. How old was Axe? Where was he from? What was his relationship to Marcus? Who was Axe best friends with? What were his physical and psychological characteristics?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)