|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Danny died in whose arms in Chapter 8?
2. What was the name of the village doctor who was among the villagers who found Marcus in Chapter 9?
3. Who hurried over to Marcus and told him to run since Taliban fighters were in the village in Chapter 11?
4. Marcus refused to drink from the river because of what, in Chapter 9?
5. Sarawa and other villagers took Marcus away to a cave on what day in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the atmosphere at Marcus's family's home described in Chapter 11?
2. In what ways did the villagers show generosity in protecting Marcus in Chapter 11? How did he attempt to repay them?
3. Where did Marcus and his team members head after landing in Chapter 7?
4. What plan did Marcus and the villagers develop in order to reach the military base in Chapter 10? What was Marcus treated with for pain?
5. What did Marcus do in order to mark his location to rescuers in Chapter 11? Why was finding a way out of the village important?
6. What led up to Marcus discovering water in Chapter 9?
7. What was delivered by parachute to the village in Chapter 11? Why were the villagers unable to secure anything useful?
8. In what physical and emotional state was Marcus following the battle in Chapter 8?
9. What happened after Marcus and his team released the goatherds in Chapter 7? What led to gunfire erupting?
10. What happened after Marcus returned to the village from the caves in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the injuries sustained by Danny, Axe and Mikey in Chapter 7, and analyze the structure of the narrative. How does Chapter 7 illustrate the rising action of the narrative? How has the momentum of the action changed in this chapter? What precedes the rising action in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Marcus's training at Fort Benning, the Eighteenth Delta Force, Fort Bragg and Panama City. What did Marcus become certified in through this training? Also discuss the impact of the World Trade Center attacks on September 11, 2001. How did this event affect Marcus and his view of the military?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the theme of heroism in the book. What are examples of symbolism and imagery that support the theme of heroism? How did Mikey's actions on the battlefield in Chapter 8 demonstrate this theme? How do Marcus's actions demonstrate heroism?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)