|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Arabic, the word jihād translates as a noun meaning what?
2. What year was it when six of the men left Bahrain to go on a mission in Chapter 1?
3. Axe was best friends with whom in the narrative?
4. In the beginning of Chapter 4, Marcus noticed that over how many of the men who started out in the class never finished?
5. What did the six men load into and complain about the primitive travel when leaving Bahrain in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways did the instructors push the trainees in Chapter 5? What happened when Marcus was hospitalized?
2. Where did Marcus pursue more training following BUD/S in Chapter 5? In what did he train?
3. What was revealed in the briefing with Marcus's team in Chapter 6?
4. What does the author discuss regarding the ethics and politics of war in Chapter 6?
5. How does the author describe the beginning of BUD/S training in Chapter 4? How many men dropped out?
6. Where was Marcus traveling in Chapter 1? Why? How did his team feel about their mission?
7. What does the author relate of his father in Chapter 2? How did his father influence him to become a Navy SEAL?
8. How did the author describe Danny in Chapter 1? How did Danny act toward the other members of the team?
9. How does the author employ foreshadowing when describing his tour in Iraq in Chapter 1?
10. Where was Marcus traveling in the Prologue? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Marcus's family home in Texas and the news reports involving Marcus's mission. Why did the news believe the team members to all be dead? Who reached out to the family? Who retained belief that Marcus was alive?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Marcus's interrogation by the Taliban in Chapter 10. How did the Taliban know Marcus was in the village? Why did they obey the village elder when he told them they were not allowed to take Marcus? What dangers did the Taliban pose to the villagers?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the strategy of Marcus's team after being surrounded in Chapter 7. How did the team attempt to escape the situation? How many fighters were there? How was the team able to hold off so many fighters for as long as they did?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)