|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Taliban is an Islamist militant and political group that ruled large parts of Afghanistan from September 1996 until when?
2. Mikey was whose best friend in the narrative?
3. Who was the U.S. President during the period in which the autobiography takes place?
4. On what date was Marcus's team finally given the go-ahead for the mission to get Sharmak in Chapter 6?
5. Marcus felt that those who quit did so because they weren't heeding whose advice in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Hell Week conclude in Chapter 5, according to the author? How many of the men lasted through the week?
2. Where was Marcus traveling in Chapter 1? Why? How did his team feel about their mission?
3. How does the author describe the beginning of BUD/S training in Chapter 4? How many men dropped out?
4. Where did Marcus pursue more training following BUD/S in Chapter 5? In what did he train?
5. How much rest time were the trainees given during Hell Week in Chapter 5? What was one of their final tests?
6. Where did Marcus and five others leave from for a mission in Chapter 1? How did they travel? Why did they complain?
7. What did Captain Maguire tell Marcus's training class in Chapter 4? How many men made it through the first four-week assessment?
8. How did the author describe Danny in Chapter 1? How did Danny act toward the other members of the team?
9. How does the author describe the beginning of Hell Week in Chapter 5? Why did Marcus feel several of the men quit?
10. How is Shane Patton described in Chapter 1? How did Marcus relate to Shane?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the injuries sustained by Marcus during his escape in Chapter 9. In what state was Marcus when he was discovered by the tribesmen? What is the culture and history of these people? Why did they choose to help Marcus?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Marcus's training at Fort Benning, the Eighteenth Delta Force, Fort Bragg and Panama City. What did Marcus become certified in through this training? Also discuss the impact of the World Trade Center attacks on September 11, 2001. How did this event affect Marcus and his view of the military?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Marcus's interrogation by the Taliban in Chapter 10. How did the Taliban know Marcus was in the village? Why did they obey the village elder when he told them they were not allowed to take Marcus? What dangers did the Taliban pose to the villagers?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)