|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The six members of the team did what so they looked more like Afghan fighters in Chapter 1?
2. What is the title of Chapter 4?
3. Mikey was whose best friend in the narrative?
4. What is the title of Chapter 2?
5. In Arabic, the word jihād translates as a noun meaning what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Hell Week conclude in Chapter 5, according to the author? How many of the men lasted through the week?
2. Where did Marcus pursue more training following BUD/S in Chapter 5? In what did he train?
3. How did Marcus feel about the meetings he had in the Prologue? Which meeting was the hardest?
4. What was revealed in the briefing with Marcus's team in Chapter 6?
5. What aspect of training had Marcus just completed at the beginning of Chapter 4? How had his class transformed at this point?
6. How much rest time were the trainees given during Hell Week in Chapter 5? What was one of their final tests?
7. How does the author describe the beginning of Hell Week in Chapter 5? Why did Marcus feel several of the men quit?
8. Where did Marcus and five others leave from for a mission in Chapter 1? How did they travel? Why did they complain?
9. How is Shane Patton described in Chapter 1? How did Marcus relate to Shane?
10. In what ways did the instructors push the trainees in Chapter 5? What happened when Marcus was hospitalized?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the Rules of Engagement and the Geneva Conventions. How does Marcus in the narrative question these regulations? Why? How do these regulations affect warfare for the military? Do you agree or disagree with Marcus's viewpoint regarding the Rules of Engagement and the Geneva Conventions?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the theme of heroism in the book. What are examples of symbolism and imagery that support the theme of heroism? How did Mikey's actions on the battlefield in Chapter 8 demonstrate this theme? How do Marcus's actions demonstrate heroism?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Marcus's interrogation by the Taliban in Chapter 10. How did the Taliban know Marcus was in the village? Why did they obey the village elder when he told them they were not allowed to take Marcus? What dangers did the Taliban pose to the villagers?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)